****Gigabyte Z87-D3HP Review****

Soldato
+1
Not new to OC, but deffo been a while and not since C2D with Intel.
So a guide on what settings do what and which to change, would be most handy ;)

My 4670k is arriving with this mobo on Monday, and will be going straight under water. I don't want to push the envelope, but if I can get a nice 4.2 or so 100% stable with sensible temps, I'll be happy.

Hopefully he can help us out! I'm on air, wouldn't even know where to start with WC! :o

Caporegime
OP
Let me sort some pics up for you from the BIOS and an explanation.

What sort of clock did you want? as not all Haswell CPU's seem to clock the same or even get as high as I can.

4.2GHz? 4.4GHz? maybe higher?

Soldato
Nice on Stulid, I look forward to the guide :)

Does anyone know if the o/b sound detects when headphones are plugged into the front sockets, and auto cuts off the speakers ?

Soldato
Nice review, I hadn't even realised that they added blck overclocking to haswell, looks like a decent board and a reasonable chip you've got there if it'll do 4.6/4.7. Just a bit of a shame the board doesn't want to do x8/x8, any idea how much performance you can actually get with x16/x4 crossfire on PCIE3? given PCIE3 x4 should be around PCIE2 x8 speed I'd have thought it wouldn't be too bad.

Caporegime
OP
So here's a quick and simple guide to get some speed out of your CPU.

I will keep it short and simple so not to confuse you with too much info and acronyms.

If you want a more serious guide you can find one here - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...e-Gigabyte-Z87-Haswell-Overclocking(OC)-Guide

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start with lets look at two features of the CPU

• Speedstep.

This downclocks your CPU from its 3.4GHz clock speed (for the 4670K) to 800MHz by changing the CPU ratio from 34X to 8X (8 X 100MHz base clock = 800MHz)

The picture below shows Speedstep in action while the CPU is idle at desktop.

Speedstepvoltagedrop_zps13703d09.png~original

Also note the voltage has also dropped to save power at the same time.

This feature is controlled by an option in the BIOS called CPU EIST Function.

130705222036_zpsef3efbab.jpg~original

You will find it at the bottom of this page.

So if you don't want your CPU to downclock to save power then just disable the option. Setting the power options in Windows to High Performance also stops the Speedstep.

• Turboboost.

This does the opposite of Speedstep and speeds the CPU up from its 3.4GHz clock speed up to a maximum of 3.8GHz again by increasing the CPU ratio, but this speed also depends on how much load the CPU is under and so can vary depending on how many cores are being used.

This you can see in the BIOS picture below,

130705221709_zpsc185c465.jpg~original

So in the case of the 4670K you have a maximum of 3.8GHz when up to two cores are just being used or 3.6GHz when all four cores are being hammered.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIOS preset overclocking.

In the BIOS are two options to overclock the CPU for you, these do work if your CPU is able to run at the selected speeds except that I found the D3HP board doesn't like going past 4.6GHz even though my CPU will on other (better) boards.

The first option is called Performance Upgrade this increase both CPU and RAM speed.

130705221457_zps5dddd8d6.jpg~original

130705221512_zps9dc00b4d.jpg~original

I have highlighted that as well as the CPU speed increasing you also get a memory speed increase which varies with which Performance Upgrade option you select.

The second option in the BIOS is called CPU Upgrade and it just increases the CPU speed only.

130705221536_zpsd71f1a3d.jpg~original

But both of the options are the crudest method available to you even though they are easy to use. The Vcore provided to your CPU is usually also excessively high (probably done as all CPU's require a differing amount of Voltage to operate).

Manual overclocking.

A better way is to do it yourself and set the values you want and the Vcore your CPU actually needs. The below is with altering the Turbboost ratios, you can also disable Turboboost and set the CPU ratio instead so you have a constant set speed.

To start with here is how I get a simple 4.0GHz clock speed.

130705221834_zpsa10cffd3.jpg~original

So by altering the four Turbboboost ratios to 40X each you will have a 4.0GHz clock speed yet still retaining the Speedstep and so getting 800MHz at Idle.

Next here is a 4.4Ghz overclock.

130705222616_zps869109a5.jpg~original

Again all you need to do is set the four Turboboost ratios to 44X each, but my CPU also needs a bit of LLC (Load Line Calibration) added to stop the droop on the Vcore when under load. This is the only voltage value/control my CPU needs altering to get this speed stable.

Droop occurs under load, you set a Vcore value in the BIOS yet this is not actually what you CPU is feed when it is under load, increasing the LLC setting will try and keep this value steady or even increase it if you set one of the maximum settings.

LLC_zps96a8dcda.jpg~original

LLC control is on this page, my CPU likes it set to High and this will help keep the Vcore constant.

My 4.6GHz setting.

Not all CPU's are the same and all vary from the way they are made and this means not all CPU's overclock the same, some CPU's may do 4.6GHz or higher, some may stop at 4.4GHz, this is nick named Silicon Lottery.

130706000013_zpsaadc941d.jpg~original

So what I have done here is set the four Turboboost values to 46X each, I have disabled EIST and also the C3, C6/C7 sleep states, I have also disabled the thermal monitor and C1E. This gives me no Speedstep and no Vcore drop when idle.

I have set the power Watt and Amp limits to 300 each (the faster you run your CPU the more power and watts it consumes) otherwise your CPU may slow down even when you core temperatures are fine.

The uncore ratio is also increased to over 4.0GHz as per the Xtremesystems guide.

Lastly LLC is set to maximum and CPU-Z reports a Vcore of 1.3V when my CPU is put under load.

All that is left to do is check that it is stable, Intel Burn Test I find is a real killer, the core temperatures are just stupid. Prime 95 is gentler yet still a bit excessive.

Instead I use AIDA64 stability test which I find to be easier on the CPU, also testing with X264 FHD is another good one, finally if it is stable in the games/applications you use, then that's all that matters right?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Stulid, a few more questions:

1. So basicaly put LCC is vdroop control, and max setting limits vdroop as much as
the board can ?

2. Speedstep/turbo and c1e, c6/c7, cpu thermal mon and cpu eist presumably best to disable find were your cpu is happiest with the voltage/heat combination you desire with stability, then re-enable for power /heat consumption savings afterward and set your fastest tested stable clocks in turbo ?

3. Does disabling the onboard graphics affect the O/C ability, or anything else for that matter with a seperate graphics card installed ?

4. Is 1.3v is the stock Vcore under load for a Haswell ?

5. Given that temps can be an issue with the way i5's are put together, what is pushing it as a reported max temp ?

Caporegime
OP
Thanks Stulid, a few more questions:

1. So basicaly put LCC is vdroop control, and max setting limits vdroop as much as
the board can ?

2. Speedstep/turbo and c1e, c6/c7, cpu thermal mon and cpu eist presumably best to disable find were your cpu is happiest with the voltage/heat combination you desire with stability, then re-enable for power /heat consumption savings afterward and set your fastest tested stable clocks in turbo ?

3. Does disabling the onboard graphics affect the O/C ability, or anything else for that matter with a seperate graphics card installed ?

4. Is 1.3v is the stock Vcore under load for a Haswell ?

5. Given that temps can be an issue with the way i5's are put together, what is pushing it as a reported max temp ?

1) Correct, it can even add Vcore on the higher settings.

2) I've never tried this, but sounds like it can work, I've either gone for the full always overclocked method, or alter the Turbo ratios and have my overclock when the CPU needs it.

3) Never compared the two, I have overclocked the onboard GFX and run Cinebench to see how increasing the gfx speed increases the score.

I do have the results if anyone would like to see?

4) It varies from chip to chip, each CPU is given a VID (Voltage Identification)programmed by Intel to ensure that particular CPU gets the voltage it needs, as you increase the speed the board may automatically increase this for you to a point.

This is also how offset Vcore is worked out, you add a offset in the BIOS which is used when overclocking to add stability.

VID+Offset = Vcore fed to the CPU.

So say my CPU had a VID of 1.2V, but I need 1.3V to remain stable at 4.6GHz, I would then set the offset voltage to +0.1V in the BIOS, this 0.1V is then given to the CPU as and when it needs it when overclocked to 4.6GHz.

This is a more elegant solution than just setting 1.3V in the BIOS and the CPU getting this voltage all the time.

5) 100C is the TJmax for Haswell CPU's, reach this and the CPU will slow itself down to try and keep cool.

But I would never recommend going this high, when I ran Intel burn test at 4.6GHz I saw high 80's, nearly 90C on one core.

This is why I prefer AIDA64 stability test as its closer to 80C when run and I feel a safer temperature, luckily no games/applications will get a CPU as hot as a stress test.

Soldato
Good info, thanks again :)
Presumably if I leave bios on defaults, fire up cpu-z, load cpu with a benchmark, it will show my cpu's stock vid.
if I see much over 1.3 it'll be a pants clocker :p

Soldato
What bios is good ?
F2 on my board (shipped) but I am having a right wrestle with it trying to install and update win8 atm :(

I just had to do a sys restore as win 8 kept ging non responsive and crashing, also had a "no boot device found" message a couple of times. Now back to bare install and loaded just the network drivers to get updates / activation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just updated to F4 .. still seems a bit flakey .. should the text scrolling on the bottom of the bios screen be smooth ? as mine isn't.

Back
Top Bottom