Euro's

aln

aln

Associate
Don't be sorry. The number of people that leave school without knowing how to pluralise a word is shocking.

Interestingly I was never taught such a thing in school. People might think I'm talking BS but honestly, it's true, though I doubt I had typical schooling.

I went to 5 primary schools. In the first couple of years my teachers would send me back to my previous teacher to show how well I was doing since I routinely got perfect scores on tests and they apparently all loved me because I was cute, so I was told.

Then I moved school and they'd always take me through the story "so well Allan, we haven't got your whatevers from the previous school so we'll just put you into mid level until we get them". Takes about 6 month of ridiculously unchallenging math mostly and I'll get bumped a level.

Then I move school. Now these kids know long division and I've never even been introduced to the concept. It's fine though I make friends quick and one of the kids shows me how to do it. I'm quite logical so I learn that quick enough and catch back up, but guess what, I'm back at the mid level because I've moved school and they don't know how good I'm supposed to be.

So I get hit by a car in the face, and my mom freaks and sends to to live with my aunty and un... no wait sends me to another school. Mid level again, boring, unchallenging, easy.

Then I move school. This time the kids are doing actual punctuation. What is this, I don't even...? I can rip most of them at math, but guess what, you get to start at mid level until you prove youself kid. I get bumped up in math, as I always did but they actually made me take handwriting classes and other such BS where they taught me to be neat as opposed to dealing with the massive gaps in my knowledge.

So then we go to secondary school. They quickly brand me based on my level and although I manage to get myself into top level at math as usual, my English is terrible and I'm stuck in a class with a bunch of idiots who aren't interested and a teacher who isn't teaching me anything.

Then we moved and guess what... Actually no, I refused to change school and instead spent over an hour each way communting myself in by public transport ever day, being denied a bus pass because I lived outside a catchment area, pushing me to move despite the fact I'd never lasted two years in a school.

So anyway, while gaining credits in every other class, my English class was useless from kids literally trashing the room when the teacher left to teachers emphasizing creative writing when in reality they're really marking you on punctuation. Honestly, I don't think I was ever taught that, but I do remember being consistantly given crap about my spelling. Amazingly helpful that was, actually my little brother is dyslexic and I suspect they were literally yelling at me for having the same issues with spelling that he does.

Anyways, long story, I got a dial up connection when I was 16 and googled it. Still struggle occasionally but can easily blame my inability to England on a terrible terrible school experience than just being dumb, if I do say so myself. Point being, our chilldren's inability to master the English lanuage probably has a lot to say about our teaching than about the kids. Calling people out on it is both unnecessary and missing the point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interestingly I was never taught such a thing in school. People might think I'm talking BS but honestly, it's true, though I doubt I had typical schooling.

I went to 5 primary schools. In the first couple of years my teachers would send me back to my previous teacher to show how well I was doing since I routinely got perfect scores on tests and they apparently all loved me because I was cute, so I was told.

Then I moved school and they'd always take me through the story "so well Allan, we haven't got your whatevers from the previous school so we'll just put you into mid level until we get them". Takes about 6 month of ridiculously unchallenging math mostly and I'll get bumped a level.

Then I move school. Now these kids know long division and I've never even been introduced to the concept. It's fine though I make friends quick and one of the kids shows me how to do it. I'm quite logical so I learn that quick enough and catch back up, but guess what, I'm back at the mid level because I've moved school and they don't know how good I'm supposed to be.

So I get hit by a car in the face, and my mom freaks and sends to to live with my aunty and un... no wait sends me to another school. Mid level again, boring, unchallenging, easy.

Then I move school. This time the kids are doing actual punctuation. What is this, I don't even...? I can rip most of them at math, but guess what, you get to start at mid level until you prove youself kid. I get bumped up in math, as I always did but they actually made me take handwriting classes and other such BS where they taught me to be neat as opposed to dealing with the massive gaps in my knowledge.

So then we go to secondary school. They quickly brand me based on my level and although I manage to get myself into top level at math as usual, my English is terrible and I'm stuck in a class with a bunch of idiots who aren't interested and a teacher who isn't teaching me anything.

Then we moved and guess what... Actually no, I refused to change school and instead spent over an hour each way communting myself in by public transport ever day, being denied a bus pass because I lived outside a catchment area, pushing me to move despite the fact I'd never lasted two years in a school.

So anyway, while gaining credits in every other class, my English class was useless from kids literally trashing the room when the teacher left to teachers emphasizing creative writing when in reality they're really marking you on punctuation. Honestly, I don't think I was ever taught that, but I do remember being consistantly given crap about my spelling. Amazingly helpful that was, actually my little brother is dyslexic and I suspect they were literally yelling at me for having the same issues with spelling that he does.

Anyways, long story, I got a dial up connection when I was 16 and googled it. Still struggle occasionally but can easily blame my inability to England on a terrible terrible school experience than just being dumb, if I do say so myself. Point being, our chilldren's inability to master the English lanuage probably has a lot to say about our teaching than about the kids. Calling people out on it is both unnecessary and missing the point.

So where does the OP get his Euro's from then ? :p

Don

What type of car was it?

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Metro Bank.

Opened an account with them in 40 mins last week and used my card in Italy over the weekend no problems, no charges and actually a decent exachange rate.

aln

aln

Associate
Dude, there really was no need to write all of that, we're just busting your balls!

It wasn't me you were referring to in the first place, I was just interjecting with a personal example to show theres often more to someones lack of inability to recognise the difference between Words and Word's doesn't entirely reflect on them as much as we all seem to think.

Oh and being that this is a discussion forum, I'd rather be the guy who takes 5 minutes to post something like that than the 800th grammar nazi this week. It was old in 2001 and its never been stopped long enough to become retro. Personally, if that's all I had to say then I wouldn't say anything.

What type of car was it?

When it hits you in the face it's only ever going to be one type of car. A blurry one. It's funny actually, crossing between two cars I stuck my face out to check if anything was coming. You should try it, in real life bullet time is win. ;)

Back
Top Bottom