Good places to go in London for cityscape engagement shoot? (also how best to get there)

Soldato
Does anyone have any suggestions of interesting places to go?
Also does anyone have a suggestions how to get there by train from the Oxfordshire area, I have no idea which stations to go to etc.

I would go by car, but it seems London doesn't have the equivalent of a park and ride?

Caporegime
London and Park and Ride doesn't really go together, or such that London is so big, there is no point to park and ride, it is not Oxford. Most bus/coaches takes you to Victoria, and although Victoria is considered to be central, it is also a long way in terms of walking distance to say....St Paul's Catherdral, even further to say Oxford Street.

You can park in the middle of London but there is the congestion charge and most car parks you are looking at silly money for parking, like £20 a day. That is unless you know the area well and some free parking on residential streets somewhere but it is unlikely these are close in the central like Covent Garden. Plus, I hate driving in London, everyone drives like they have a death wish, I much prefer to take the train. you will likely need to get a travel pass for the day inside zone 1-2 as well

From Oxford on the train you are most likely to arrive at Paddington, then on the circle line/Bakerloo/Hammersmith and district line.

As for places.....that is very much depend on what you are looking for.

You can shoot in side streets that looks like you are in Oxford (or any old English Cities) or you can shoot in iconic places that screams London.

The problem with the latter is you will end up shooting places with a ton of tourists so composition would be a challenge, quite difficult in fact, i.e. places like Piccadilly neon sighs, Big Ben, London Eye and St Pauls would be packed with tourists, people who linger so even if you try to use the ND filter trick they would still be stationary.

My guess is you want a mix of both, I mean why go to London to shoot if you don't end up with something that say it was shot in London. I can't help with location I am afriad but good luck !

Soldato
Nope, no park and ride in London.

It's called the tube :) and don't drive into London, it's a foolish thing to do.

One of the popular shots (Raymond has done it but I can't find an example now), would be the shot of the couple on the millennium bridge with St. Paul's in the background.

Also, if you get off at London Bridge (not that far from the millennium bridge), and head to the tooley street exit, if you go right from there you can walk down to moor London.
From there, you can quite easily shoot The Shard, Tower Bridge, The Tower of London, Hms Belfast, The mayors building, and the Walkie Talkie building in the background. (All at different angles) so that's an option.

You could also get off of Canary Wharf and there's quite a few places out there. It wouldn't be my first choice mind you... Whilst there's plenty of skyscrapers there, I'm not sure you'd be able to actually get the couple far enough back, to get everything in, but it'll probably be less touristy.

Both Canary Wharf and London Bridge Stations are on the Jubilee line. St Paul's I can't quite remember what line it's on.

As for coming in from Oxfordshire, finding a national rail train that goes in to one of the underground stations with an overground would probably be a better option. Normally this would be kings cross, Liverpool street, Paddington or London bridge, but could be one of many, don't know about that direction. There might be a tube line out there mind. A quick google should answer.

The final things I'd say regardless of location is make sure you have a tube map, and know how to get from your tube station to location. The tube system is one of the greatest ways on the planet to get around the city. Also, have backup options to get from one tube station to the next, and check which lines have delays.

kd

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going to be planning a London engagement shoot for some close friends (I'm best man) as part of my portfolio building.

What Ray and KD say is spot on; forget driving unless you are brave and super organised.

Imagination is going to be your limitation in London. There are a so many shots that you can set up that scream LONDON!!!!! Shooting along Embankment just opposite the the London Eye in the evening when it's lit up is something Im going to suggest to them. Also earlier in the day St James Park, Horsegaurds Parade are all good locations.

Caporegime
Day travel pass can be bought at any underground station and can be used all day.

You either get zone 1-2 or zone 1-6. I seriously doubt you will leave zone 2 so save your money.

Travel cards can be used on underground and buses.

I have driven in London, parked at May Fair and it was a nightmare even with Satnav. There is also the congestion charge you need to think about (unless it is the weekend), and be super alert to everyone, drivers, bikers, pedestrians. People cross the road in places you would never think of. A car once tried to overtake and cut me off when I was approaching and slowing down towards a red light at a junction, when he couldn't make it and almost crashed into a bollards to my right he beeped at me and gave me a finger !!!

p.s. I am surprised you've never been to London before ! Seeing that you live much closer to it than I do, in fact my train goes through Oxford on its way to London.

l1VqQ.jpg

It is this bridge, and believe me it is NEVER like that. People kindly (and surprisingly) stopped as soon as the bride took off my coat and saw the white dress and was lucky no one was coming in the other direction. That bridge is not only a tourist magnet of a bridge, it is also the main walk way to access the Tate Modern which is just on the other side. Unless you don't remember it, it is a bridge designed by Sir Norman Foster, it is basically a rope bridge in design (see the metal cables going alongside either side?) and when it was first built it swayed and wobble like any rope bridge does (think Indiana Jones) because that is the nature of a rope bridge but people were scared so they stiffened it up, it made the news. Its not the same since, I liked it when it wobbled a bit !

Last edited:
Associate
£25 for The Shard, spot your favorite landmark...

P1000188-L.jpg

Soldato
London is basically a city where black cabs are king. I stayed in Chiswick when I went last, and there are some very nice areas around there. Plus it's on a route to Hammersmith which has some nice photo ops.

Soldato
Thanks folks. With these travel passes, can you use them all day?

Is this the bridge KD?
£25 for The Shard, spot your favorite landmark...

£75 for three people though... Glass behind (making reflections a pain) and its unbelievably busy....

That said, tower 42 might not be a bad shout (paramount bar) although I'd phone ahead to the management first, and get it approved and stuff if you just want to go up for a few shots.

As I say, basically, you're going to have fun. Any large area will probably be very packed with people, especially with it being summer and touristy. Look at some photo blogs I guess and see what others have done. Must say, I'm going to be really intrigued to see how your shot goes, so make sure to post up the results :)

kd

Soldato
edit: just realised the OP is doing a shoot for an engagement.

tricky to do in central London.

You can do it but very late at night or in the morning where there is less crouds

another edit: Dont forget the sun comes out very early nowadays. as early as half 5 and if you take your shot at that millenoum bridge at half 5 in the morning on a saturday/sunday, hardly anyone will be their and as you all know, golden hour is the best light

Last edited:
Soldato
!

He lives in Oxford, will need to get up at 3am and then drives (no trains that early) into London.

Plus, he will have to drag his clients out of bed with him too!

Well if u want the shot then thats what it takes to get it :D

Also he could drive all the way and park next to the millenium bridge as teh roads will be quiet and no congestion charge at that time

Associate
£75 for three people though... Glass behind (making reflections a pain) and its unbelievably busy....

That said, tower 42 might not be a bad shout (paramount bar) although I'd phone ahead to the management first, and get it approved and stuff if you just want to go up for a few shots.

kd

True, its very expensive.

I went up on a rainy day in April, it was the first slot and I had one floor all to myself. So its very school holiday/tourist season/weather dependent.

These are the reflections you can expect.

P1000177-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom