*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
Been looking at CBR125's this evening, and now i can't sleep so i'm back looking at them :p

£700 insurance isn't bad (yes I've already checked) seeing as a car insurance would be triple that at least

And probably CBT ride a 125 for a few years, then when i turn 24 full bike test

Last edited:

Associate
Tried a quote for a CBF125 or YBR125? CG's are pretty cool too and probably the easiest to look after out of the lot! These three have less plastic to damage when you inevitably drop it. Not saying you're clumsy or anything, just getting used to the balance and weight is part of becoming accustomed to the bike. The CBR is around 130 kg and while it's relatively easy to keep upright, once it starts falling it is pretty difficult to stop it! Also, if you want something that looks cool, people who don't know bikes think they're all the same ;) and you won't see it when you're riding it.

Bear in mind that a CBT is only valid for two years, and the money you spend on another CBT could be spent on your tests. If you ride on an expired CBT your insurance will technically be invalid due to 'riding outside terms of your licence'. Riders on L-plates are over-represented in accident statistics too and insurance will also be cheaper once you pass your tests (you've proved you're of a certain standard). If you're getting a 125 anyway, why not try the tests after a few months if you think you're up to it? Similar kind of price as a CBT, but then you won't have to take them again unless you want a bigger bike!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm thinking get a CBT soon, have a few lessons so that I'm safe on the road, learn the basics, but then do a direct access test after i turned 24 which is just over 3 years away.

In the meantime I'd get another CBT to cover for the year in between

Soldato
Good idea, do a CBT and ride for a bit! Although I think you might get bored after a year or two on a 125 and go for the test! :p

If you're planning on keeping it for a while, I'd assume you'd want something "quick", so YZF R125, CBR125 etc are good options. If not, then a YBR125 / CBF125 are just as good.

Another bulletproof (cheap to buy and cheap to fix) option would be a Honda Varadero 125, very comfy, tops 75-80mph.

Make sure you get R&G Protectors/bar ends etc as you will very likely drop it! They've saved my wallet a couple of times when I started out.

Soldato
I've had a look at the CBF but I much prefer the looks of the CBR, and think I have settled on looking at 06-09 models. I don't like the digital speedo, nor this new ridiculously short/small exhaust; just doesn't look right in my opinion.

Soldato
Didn't know i could just jump straight onto any bike i wanted.

I was under the impression that you have to of had 2 years experience on a little bike, then take another test for a big bike.

My drivers licence says A 19.01.13 - 25.01.59 / (79 tri). Am i right that this means i can go straight to a big bike after completing CBT, Theory tests and a practical test? That is just bonkers if so... Has got me thinking though.

Soldato
OP
You sure can, but you need to do the bigger bike test, but once you do that sure you can ride anything you like, not sure its bonkers though, you could pass your car test and get a ferrari if you can afford it and the insurance, but the outcome will be the same as a new biker on a 1000cc superbike if you dont respect the power :p
Insurance is usually the big thing that turns a lot of new riders away from 'big' bikes, unless you dont mind paying £2k insurance.

Aged 21 or over: unrestricted A Motorcycle Licence
You can get an A Motorcycle Licence, allowing you to ride any motorcycle or scooter of any size or power. There are two ways to qualify for an A Motorcycle Licence:

If you have held an A2 Motorcycle Licence for 2 years, you can take another practical test.

If you are aged 24 or over, you can take the Direct Access route by completing CBT, Theory tests and a practical test.

You are then allowed to ride any motorbike or scooter without L plates and to carry a passenger.

Associate
Im looking to get my bike license sometime soon (this or next year) and was just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent bike school in the teesside area? Will need to do my cbt first of course, i was thinking of getting a cheap 125cc to run for a year and get more practice that way before going for the test would you think that would be a good idea? what sort of price insurance wise would it cost a 33yr old to insure a 125 on just a cbt

Soldato
Hello guys,

Been to CMC today and had a good chat with a bloke who works there. Got talking about needing to get my licence and he got me talking to a guy from Compass who has told me they do a full training and test course for £795. So that includes CBT, Theory, lessons and then the module 1 and 2 test.

Is this a reasonable price? This will be to get the big bike licence (A)

Thanks

Soldato
Its about what I was quoted a year or so ago, Is that a week long intensive course? I Could have done that but opted not too and paid for it all separately and had lessons when I wanted them rather than all crammed into a week. I probably paid around £900-£1000 in the end but I Passed and took the tests when I was ready rather than at the end of the week

Soldato
Yeah 5 days I think.

Asked if I have ever rode a bike: yes had plenty of field bikes growing up so already knew how gears work.

Do I drive: yes been driving over 5 years.

How old am I: 24

Then recommended I go straight for the 5 day course as I already know the basics etc.

Soldato
If you are more than happy to do it then go for it, Ive had friends pass going the same route. Price seems about right for what I was offered but then depends what part of the world you live in I suppose.

Soldato
Im looking to get my bike license sometime soon (this or next year) and was just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent bike school in the teesside area? Will need to do my cbt first of course, i was thinking of getting a cheap 125cc to run for a year and get more practice that way before going for the test would you think that would be a good idea? what sort of price insurance wise would it cost a 33yr old to insure a 125 on just a cbt

if you're only going to be going for a 125, i'd suggest just doing a CBT. Yes they need a renewal every two years but most schools for full training are costing £400-500, while CBT's are around £100

My CBR 125 was £700 to insure last year, that was with no years no claims and riding on CBT at 20 years old. Put all the details into an insurance comparison site (i use tesco compare) and see what the prices are :)

Soldato
I'm thinking get a CBT soon, have a few lessons so that I'm safe on the road, learn the basics, but then do a direct access test after i turned 24 which is just over 3 years away.

In the meantime I'd get another CBT to cover for the year in between

Been looking at CBR125's this evening, and now i can't sleep so i'm back looking at them :p

£700 insurance isn't bad (yes I've already checked) seeing as a car insurance would be triple that at least

And probably CBT ride a 125 for a few years, then when i turn 24 full bike test

Oh how naive I was....These were 6-7 months ago. Last few days I've been looking at Suzuki Bandit GSF600's which I could restrict and ride on an A2 license :p

Insurance -
Cbr125 +CBT + 0 years no claims (last year) - £800
CBR125+CBT+1 years no claims - £650
GSF 600 + full license + 1 years no claims - £330

Makes sense to get my A2 done, even if it does mean I'm doing it again in 2 years for an unrestricted license

Soldato
Oh how naive I was....These were 6-7 months ago. Last few days I've been looking at Suzuki Bandit GSF600's which I could restrict and ride on an A2 license :p

Insurance -
Cbr125 +CBT + 0 years no claims (last year) - £800
CBR125+CBT+1 years no claims - £650
GSF 600 + full license + 1 years no claims - £330

Makes sense to get my A2 done, even if it does mean I'm doing it again in 2 years for an unrestricted license

Yeah I found that too when I went onto a restricted licence, but that was under the old rules with 33bhp.

Look at the SV650, They're brilliant bikes, cheap, reasonably reliable and run very well when restricted.

Soldato
Yeah I found that too when I went onto a restricted licence, but that was under the old rules with 33bhp.

Look at the SV650, They're brilliant bikes, cheap, reasonably reliable and run very well when restricted.

well the Bandit will be restricted to 47bhp, then i'll do my test 2 years late and unrestrict. Hopefully it'll tide me over for a few years :p

and looked at the SV. Don't like the look of them at all

Last edited:
Associate
right, i'm getting confused by all the permutations. What would I be able to ride as a 23 year old after passing the CBT? Anything up to 125cc with L plates?

Back
Top Bottom