Hayfever - Thread

Soldato
Has anyone tried the local honey trick? It's an old wives tale, but I'm willing to try anything so I bought some from a local farm shop the other day. If it doesn't work, the only remaining thing to do is cut off my own head :/

**** pollen :mad:

Associate
Only thing that works for me is benedryl plus expensive but my symptoms are classed as severe (had a allergy test) If I didn't take them I wouldn't be able to work

Soldato
Has anyone tried the local honey trick? It's an old wives tale, but I'm willing to try anything so I bought some from a local farm shop the other day. If it doesn't work, the only remaining thing to do is cut off my own head :/

I have, it worked last year for me and I was having it on toast each morning, not taking the 3 teaspoons a day of it.

Placebo or not, I don't care if it works ;)

Associate

Going by plain logic I would say it is a complete myth, I mean why only local honey? It is a great excuse to stock up on every honey from every county though, just to be completely immune :)

Soldato
Mines terrible, i get some green and white tables from the chemist, they seem to work well... Although obviously not 100% but way better then without. Pop one in the morning and ok until 6-7pm.

Associate
Whats different about this year?

Im 24 and iv never had hayfever before, I just thought i had a major cold but seems like it could be hayfever. Am i destined to get hayfever every summer for the rest of my life now?!

Sho

Sho

Soldato
I've been continuously been taking Nasonex Nasal Spray. And my Heyfever has been fine. Not a single scratch yet.

Soldato

Im 24 and iv never had hayfever before, I just thought i had a major cold but seems like it could be hayfever. Am i destined to get hayfever every summer for the rest of my life now?!

yup most likely you developed it, mine wasn't there until early-mid 20's either.

Sho

Sho

Soldato

Most likely. Once you start getting Heyfever, it don't really goes away. I've been suffering from Heyfever since i was 16 and going to 28 in few days time.

Yes its annoying, but something you gotta deal with.

Soldato
Going by plain logic I would say it is a complete myth, I mean why only local honey? It is a great excuse to stock up on every honey from every county though, just to be completely immune :)

Theory behind local honey being that local bee's are gathering pollen from the very flowers and tree's in your area that are producing the pollen you are allergic too. So if their honey contains these specific known allergic types of pollen then it might help you form an immunity through introducing small amounts of that pollen by eating the honey.

So that's the theory, but I don't think it works. I have local honey from a bee keeper who stays one street over. Whilst it is utterly amazing and the best honey I have ever tasted in my life, it's doing naff all for my hayfever.... She said I need to take it all year consistently and if it works I should have built an immunity by next hayfever season..... But then, I bet she just wants me to buy a jar of her honey every 2 weeks, eh? :rolleyes:

At this point in time I am willing to do ANYTHING to get rid of hayfever.

Soldato
Snap. First day yesterday and didn't suffer too badly; seeing how it goes today...

Good stuff, definitely helps a lot. Though even that couldn't beat the effects of my girlfriend's 8 mile countryside walk at the weekend!

I also have Fexofenadine, a stock from last year. It's definitely better than over the counter stuff, but I'm still feeling the affects. The pollen must have been trained by Chuck Norris this year :/

As above - honey from local bees contains pollen, it's meant to be a form of immunotherapy; keep ingesting the honey and you build up an immunity to pollen of local trees and plants. Scientific testing doesn't really show that it works, but I've heard people swear by it. Mind you, at £5.60 for a jar of honey from a local supplier, it might be an expensive theory to test (even if it does taste nice).

Back
Top Bottom