Skydrive

Associate
I'm fairly new to W8 and I was wondering why I'd ever want to use skydrive?

Anyone had good experiences with it or figured out what I'm meant to do with it?

Man of Honour
Backing up files, sharing files between devices.
It's pretty good. Just wish they would remove the stupid and outdated limit file size, especially as I've paid for 100GB what difference does it matter if the files over 2GB or what ever the limit is.

Man of Honour
does it bring any benefits over google drive or dropbox?

They're all pretty much the same, the benefit is if you use wndows devices, is the integration. Same as google if you have multiple android devices, or iCloud if you have multiple apple devices.

Soldato
I do tend to trust Skydrive a little more than Dropbox etc. Not entirely sure why though!

I use them all in one way or another, it is nice to use it with Windows 8 but you'll only really get the benefits if you have a mobile device compatible with it.

I tend to use Google drive as I've got a Nexus 7.

Man of Honour
yes it can :)

I have various documents including CVs, moderating notes, old and new articles, cash books etc.. Basically everything that was once in "My Documents" is now in the cloud simply because it's accessible from home and work. It's handy because it means i don't have to keep a memory stick not do i have to save personal documents on my work PC.

Soldato
Yes, it's just not a baked into the OS as it is in 8.

SkyDrive is very good and has gotten a lot better since they first launched it. I use it to share photos primarily and to roam certain documents.

Associate
Yes, it's just not a baked into the OS as it is in 8.

SkyDrive is very good and has gotten a lot better since they first launched it. I use it to share photos primarily and to roam certain documents.
Just make sure you don't fall foul of Microsoft's witless "no nudity of any kind" policy, unless you want to risk your entire account and its content disappearing without warning - no sharing snapshots of your kids playing in the bath with your family please, even in your so-called "private" folders, or god forbid an image of a nude by an Italian painter who you might be studying for an arts degree.

Personally I'd rather use a cloud service which treats its users like grownups; it's not as though there's any shortage of decent alternatives.

Associate
Indeed, skydrive has it's issues but the rule of thumb has always been encrypt everything before sending anything anywhere if you actually want privacy online. It's possible to set-up dropbox for automatic encryption (with some tweaking), so it's probably possible with skydrive too. At least on desktop.

If you're using windows 8 phones or metro, well... Why would you give anyone other than yourself to have full control over your files...?

Associate
Indeed, skydrive has it's issues but the rule of thumb has always been encrypt everything before sending anything anywhere if you actually want privacy online. It's possible to set-up dropbox for automatic encryption (with some tweaking), so it's probably possible with skydrive too. At least on desktop.
Well, yes, if you want/need true privacy then client-side encryption is a must, but I think that's a slightly different argument. If you want to share content (whether publicly or privately with friends/family), you might not *want* to encrypt it before uploading.

Most other cloud providers are happy to let you upload anything you want as long as it's not illegal - I suppose you could make a weak argument that this would be difficult to police if you're trying to encompass *every* country's legal framework, but taking this to its logical conclusion, you wouldn't be able to upload any of the many things that would fall foul of some Middle Eastern countries' obscenity laws, or anything that the Chinese government decided was illegal propaganda.

Soldato
Well, I've not fallen afoul of any policy thus far. I treat the SkyDrive as it is - a storage blob in the public cloud. I know it gets scanned but there isn't anything there of particular interest to such detection tools.

There is always the chance of a false positive but I expect the account would be personally reviewed in such cases.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Just make sure you don't fall foul of Microsoft's witless "no nudity of any kind" policy, unless you want to risk your entire account and its content disappearing without warning - no sharing snapshots of your kids playing in the bath with your family please, even in your so-called "private" folders, or god forbid an image of a nude by an Italian painter who you might be studying for an arts degree.

LOL.

Soldato

Personally I'd rather use a cloud service which treats its users like grownups; it's not as though there's any shortage of decent alternatives.

rubbish

I have a nude pic of my mistress in my pics folder. Been there for months and not had any issues.

Soldato
rubbish

I have a nude pic of my mistress in my pics folder. Been there for months and not had any issues.

Erm. How did you think they will find it? Obviously the pervert in charge of trawling through everyone's photos and documents just hasn't gotten to your account yet.

Associate
Erm. How did you think they will find it? Obviously the pervert in charge of trawling through everyone's photos and documents just hasn't gotten to your account yet.
It's actually an automated computer program (PhotoDNA) - even a company with MS's resources won't have enough perverts to manually look through everybody's stuff.

Or maybe in this case a pervert did look at it, but he just wasn't all that impressed (public URL needed)...

Back
Top Bottom