New Focus Very Poor MPG

Permabanned
Hi got a 2013 1.6 TDCi Econetic Ford Focus. Done just over 2000 miles and the MPG is sitting at 48.4 I do 80% motorways and always steady with my right foot.

Do modern cars need running in? Upon various sites these are meant to give good MPG but so far I expected much more or am I been deluded by manufactures claims?

Price*£19,145;*0-62mph*11.8sec;*Top speed116mph;*Economy*76.4mpg (combined);*CO299g/km;*Kerb weight*1350kg;*Engine*4 cyls, 1560cc diesel;*Power*103bhp;*Torque*199lb ft;Gearbox*6-spd manual.

Soldato
Is 48.4 mpg not good ?

What speed are you at on the motorways ? Cruise or no cruise ? Boot full of bricks or empty ?

Edit- whoops missed the book figure .

Soldato
If the combined cycle test was 80% motorway you might see the test figures, as it stands you only get a short blip at anything approaching motorway speeds on the test.

You'll never see anywhere near 76mpg from that car unless you drive everywhere at 40mph in top gear.

Soldato
That's about what I used to get from mine. You'll need to do more like 60mph if you want to get any higher. Small displacement engines take a hit at higher speeds. 2.0-litre TDCI did 50mpg without fuss on my commute.

Associate
My 1.6D Fiesta on same type of trip was claimed high 70's but in reality ~80mph on motorway careful driving only did about 52 over a 3 month period and it was run in with 13k miles.

It was pulling about 3k revs to do 80mph and so pushing the poor little motor, hence the low MPG.

The wife now has it and doesn't touch motorways, back roads 40 miles round trip and she has mid 60's mpg in 1st two weeks.

My 1.6D Civic, more BHP ~80 mph is 2k revs and gives me 65mph on the motorway averaged over a week.

Some cars can't do what they claim at motorway speeds because they are pushed too hard to keep to motorway speeds.

Permabanned
OP
Real time MPG at 70MPH in 6th shows around 76+ anything up a hill and it drops into the 30/40s guess the 20% or so town driving I do hampers the average. Just would have thought it would be better. Guess been only a 1.6 you need to give it more then the usual 2.0 Diesel types. Just expected a bit more :/ Has start stop too so I am not sure if this helps much?

Associate
Real time MPG at 70MPH in 6th shows around 76+ anything up a hill and it drops into the 30/40s guess the 20% or so town driving I do hampers the average. Just would have thought it would be better. Guess been only a 1.6 you need to give it more then the usual 2.0 Diesel types. Just expected a bit more :/ Has start stop too so I am not sure if this helps much?

stop start on my civic loses mpg !!!

Soldato
My 1.6D Fiesta on same type of trip was claimed high 70's but in reality ~80mph on motorway careful driving only did about 52 over a 3 month period and it was run in with 13k miles.

It was pulling about 3k revs to do 80mph and so pushing the poor little motor, hence the low MPG.

That's the problem, you were doing 80, sitting at 70 makes a big difference, I can get well over 60MPG in a 10 year old 200k mile Mondeo sitting at 70. At 80 I lose about 10-15MPG.

Soldato
Well stop start won't be having much of an effect if 80% of your mileage is motorway, I would assume you're not letting it stop the engine whilst on the motorway :p

Soldato

The wife now has it and doesn't touch motorways, back roads 40 miles round trip and she has mid 60's mpg in 1st two weeks.

My 1.6D Civic, more BHP ~80 mph is 2k revs and gives me 65mph on the motorway averaged over a week.

Some cars can't do what they claim at motorway speeds because they are pushed too hard to keep to motorway speeds.

Claimed MPG should have course be possible when you're driving above the speed limit.... Not.

Permabanned
OP
Well stop start won't be having much of an effect if 80% of your mileage is motorway, I would assume you're not letting it stop the engine whilst on the motorway :p

Haha!!!! :o Town driving and the like. I had it off but felt it was there for a reason to be on. Quite strange really, got to admit the sound proofing is amazing not sure because its only a small lump but its a very un diesel type clatter. Feels very refined come a long way since the pug 306 td I used to have lol!!!

Associate
I have a 2012 1.6 tdci focus, averaging 53 mpg at the current in mixed driving dont have a light foot either. Mine has nearly 19k on it now so I would have thought yours will get better. Nice Car all the same though

Back
Top Bottom