Overused movie sound effect

Soldato
There's quite a few obviously but there's one used a lot and is probably the most awesome. :) I wonder if anyone can find an isolated or standout example of this without narration or music over it. I hear this same sound in every single blockbuster movie. Yep, there it was in pacific rim today. It's a wide sounding descending note which starts quite low, quite bassy, kind of sounds like a big animal noise. I can see why it's so used because it conveys awe and size of things like heavy metal objects, spaceships, massive monsters, things like that. I don't know how this sound would be labelled when sound effects guys need it but it seems to be the obligatory go to sound they use. I still like it but was wondering if anyone here thinks it's used too much and time for a new one? I'm fairly sure I first heard it in jurassic park and it's been used ever since.

It's pretty much this sound, right at 1:02 as the Jaeger lifts his right foot and again at 1:04. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ObgAiyvYNE

Caporegime
Of all the generic noises in that trailer the sound you're suggesting is the least generic in my head. :p

The one where things were being clipped together at around 30-40 seconds is far more used IMO. At least it didn't have the generic GENERIC sound of bunker doors opening, identical whether it's on Mars, in a Soviet bunker or an American one. Apparently there is only one company that sells bunker doors out there! :D

Soldato
OP
This sort of sound?
http://www.pond5.com/sound-effect/8357699/ominous07.html

I remember hearing it way too much in man of steel, isn't it the noise in battle star galactica when the cylon baseships appear? I can't find it though...

Nope, not that. Like this triceratop breathing out, right at 0:09 seconds. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was that very sound that started it and which they've used and slightly enhanced for movies since.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JylK4HuKMvQ Bit like a yawn sound that we make.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Of all the generic noises in that trailer the sound you're suggesting is the least generic in my head. :p

The one where things were being clipped together at around 30-40 seconds is far more used IMO. At least it didn't have the generic GENERIC sound of bunker doors opening, identical whether it's on Mars, in a Soviet bunker or an American one. Apparently there is only one company that sells bunker doors out there! :D

Lol. Also, in pacific rim, there's another over used sound. The bit where one of the scientists angrily turns off his machine. It gives that typical power shutdown or power outage sound, a bit like a mini version of the other sound I'm on about.

Man of Honour
Ah the heli flypast sound?

The one that gets me is the zerg sound from starcraft once you hear it in that game it ruins any movie that uses it.

Soldato
I was also going to suggest that the most recognisable sound clips are of course the Wihelm Scream and the other is the one that they always tend to use for a Police Radio. I first heard it on the Spiderman Cartoon Maker game that came packaged with a Packard Bell PC years ago:

It's so recognisable that it breaks suspension because they didn't make their own sound effects for the radio.

Soldato
Lol, I had never noticed that before. I just assumed any scream in a movie is done by the actor, but there's actually a stock scream soundbite they use. :D

Yes, it's a industry in joke, like klataa barrada niktu (however it's spelt) being used in a multitude of different films.

Associate
Those trumpet/clarion calls from Inception have been imported into every Trailer (both for movies and video games) since 2010...really ticks me off. It is even in the new System Shock 2 Trailer on the Steam Summer Sale!

Soldato
The one I always recognise is the Wilhelm Scream. You'll hear it in hundreds of films, including Star Wars, LoTR, Toy Story, etc.
>> Youtube <<

This. The Wilhelm Scream is notorious. Ever since I read about it I hear it in nearly every film made.

The Wilhelm scream is a film and television stock sound effect that has been used in more than 200 movies, beginning in 1951 for the film Distant Drums.[1] The scream is often used when someone is shot, falls from a great height, or is thrown from an explosion.

Most likely voiced by actor and singer Sheb Wooley, the sound is named after Private Wilhelm, a character in The Charge at Feather River, a 1953 western in which the character is shot with an arrow. This was its first use from the Warner Bros. stock sound library, although The Charge at Feather River is believed to have been the third movie to use the effect.[2]

The effect gained new popularity (its use often becoming an in-joke) after it was used in Star Wars, the Indiana Jones series, Disney cartoons and many other blockbuster films as well as television programs and video games.[3]

Back
Top Bottom