The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
be careful when you start DE shaving, this week alone i have spent over £100 on new razors, i bought a merkur 34c, a muhle r41 ( fantastic aggressive razor) a fatip grande, a merkur 37c ( slant razor) some mitchells wool fat, 25 polsilver super iridium blades, 2 bottles of tabac aftershave lotion. It is a very addictive hobby.

Soldato
A nice selection of razors there, i'm using the R41 at the moment on my UFO handle, the Fatip head is good as well. I've not used either of those Merkur's for a while.

A 1946-1947 Aristocrat arrived from the US for me this week.

Soldato
To those worried about shaving with feathers as a beginner.... Don't be.

This is the manly shaving thread, not pansy shaving thread. Research techniques, prep your face well and take your time.

I hardly ever nick myself with feather blades, even if doing it after a few beers ;)

Associate
be careful when you start DE shaving, this week alone i have spent over £100 on new razors, i bought a merkur 34c, a muhle r41 ( fantastic aggressive razor) a fatip grande, a merkur 37c ( slant razor) some mitchells wool fat, 25 polsilver super iridium blades, 2 bottles of tabac aftershave lotion. It is a very addictive hobby.

I think I will just stick with the one then! Look what arrived in the post today!:

2vx40ic.jpg

Had my first shave with this with my usual Derby Extra blades and they're pretty good!

Soldato
To those worried about shaving with feathers as a beginner.... Don't be.

This is the manly shaving thread, not pansy shaving thread. Research techniques, prep your face well and take your time.

I hardly ever nick myself with feather blades, even if doing it after a few beers ;)

Soldato
I’m looking for a razor for my friend’s son’s 15th birthday. Ideally I’m looking for a set contain razor, blades, brush and foam etc, for around £30.

As it’s a birthday present I’m looking for something a bit more exotic than the usual stuff you see in supermarkets.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
I’m looking for a razor for my friend’s son’s 15th birthday. Ideally I’m looking for a set contain razor, blades, brush and foam etc, for around £30.

As it’s a birthday present I’m looking for something a bit more exotic than the usual stuff you see in supermarkets.

Any suggestions?

A budget of thirty pounds sounds a little low if you want good stuff across the board. But, if it was me, I'd get him a sub-£30 Merkur from Shaving Shack, some free blades (they give some away - check their deal), a £5 Wilkinson Sword supermarket brush (which is okay to make a start with), plus a Palmolive shaving stick for about 50p - again, from supermarkets. Perhaps a cheap shaving oil, too. All of that would make a very cheap kit that, although not as good as the luxurious brands, it would still give him a solid impression of what DE shaving is like.

If he likes it all, he can keep the nice Merkur razor and upgrade the rest at his own leisure. That's the stuff I started with and it makes for a good taster. You haven't wasted much money if it turns out to not be his thing.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
No worries! Like I said, the razor's a keeper, but the other stuff can be improved upon. Ooh, checkout the Beauty at Creightons website too: their Trufitt & Hill products are very nice and sold much cheaper than other shops. There's a discount code somewhere in this thread which I believe still works. :)

Soldato
Right, I bought a Merkur Futur Gold d/e razor a week or so back and used it the other day with bloody consquences. Somebody in the "Things I have bought" thread suggested that the Futur is known to be a little intolerant of d/e wet shaving newbies. Could someone explain to me how it would differ from say a 34C?

I really don't fancy opening up my left cheek again but would love to return to wet shaving after a 5 year break. Is it worth switching to a 34C until I and my skin get more used to it?

One problem I do have is a somewhat angular face around my cheekbones, how do people get around that without shaving a chunk off?

Associate
Question.

I've been using a DE Razor for a good few months now and I'm fancying adding a pre-shave oil to the mix just to see if it has any greater effects. Do you apply oil after each pass? or just before the initial pass?

Also, any reccomendations on oil?

Soldato
Right, I bought a Merkur Futur Gold d/e razor a week or so back and used it the other day with bloody consquences. Somebody in the "Things I have bought" thread suggested that the Futur is known to be a little intolerant of d/e wet shaving newbies. Could someone explain to me how it would differ from say a 34C?

I really don't fancy opening up my left cheek again but would love to return to wet shaving after a 5 year break. Is it worth switching to a 34C until I and my skin get more used to it?

One problem I do have is a somewhat angular face around my cheekbones, how do people get around that without shaving a chunk off?

ZERO PRESSURE!! We emphasise this all the time in this thread. Literally let the blade fall down your face, don't press on, let the weight of the razor do the work. You should not cut yourself if you master that.

Failing this you should adjust your angles and adjust your adjustable razor to be less aggressive.

Soldato
Still getting razor burn on my cheeks and I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. Not using any pressure at all. Only doing wtg passes.

Also there seems to be a certain area on both cheeks that just doesn't shave :confused: First pass on this area seems to 'trim' the hair and subsequent passes don't do a thing. My skin is taut when shaving so that's not the problem.

Any help? Main issue is the razor burn. I've tried a variety of blades, used a derby today, same problem.

Might sound daft, but I have known guys of certain skin colours to suffer from a skin condition that is exacerbated by shaving. Those guys have all been black though, and I know you are not black :)

Soldato
I have not read this thread at all I will admit, and will do tomorrow. But for now, just wanted to say, I got on board the DE razor thing the other day when I bought a Merkur 34C. I just had my first shave with it and it was poor. Ok that's being kind. It was probably the worst shave I've ever had. I used the blade that came with it in the box. It just felt like it was either really blunt, or not enough of the blade was sticking out to cut. Overall just complete *****. I tried all sorts. At first I was scared to rip into my face and was very careful. By the end I was confident it would not cut me and was pulling and digging it in quite aggressively like a cartirdge just to get it to cut.

I have looked at youtube videos where the sheet weight of the razor is meant to be enough to cut. They tell you to be oh so careful as it's so sharp and to just get the angle right and let the blade do the work. Er... no.

Someone reassure me the supplied blade is utter tosh? I will try a different type and then make judgement. This is 100% not bad technique I swear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom