BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I know what you mean Fox, there's nothing really wrong with my 16:9, it's worked for me for the last year without any issues and is rock stable which is something that the Chinese units can't offer unfortunately. Realistically I'd love to have a better navigation system than the BMW one which is a bit slow at times, and I'd need to have MP3 connectivity so I'm not having to forever burn regular audio CD's (it's tedious work!).

I think I've got 'new toy' syndrome more than anything :p I think I'll take your advice and look further into the Intravee though.

Thanks for your advice :cool:

Man of Honour
The Intravee with iPod gives you that mp3 functionality (The SD card functionality of most of these chinese devices is cack btw, I only use the iPod and FM interface) though.

The only real, credible advantage of one of these units over the BMW Nav is that the navigation software is considerably better - as you can see in my photo above (Thats mine, showing me where the road works were whilst driving towards Slovakia).

But it's 6 of one half dozen of the other. What the BMW system lacks of Nav it makes up for with iPod integration and general integration with the car. Don't forget if you have an E39 with nav you also have high OBC which you'll lose the ability to do much with once you bin your 16:9 display.

Associate
I haven't got nav, so can't take the easy route like that :(.

In my mind it's between the Eonon, Dynavin and Andrive. I prefer the idea of something that just works, and don't see the point of paying extra for features I don't really need (e.g. Android). Between the Eonon and Dynavin though, why is the latter about £250 more expensive? The Eonon is £332 on their website and although it seems a bit more of a risk, for that price is probably worth going for.

Soldato

In my mind it's between the Eonon, Dynavin and Andrive. I prefer the idea of something that just works, and don't see the point of paying extra for features I don't really need (e.g. Android). Between the Eonon and Dynavin though, why is the latter about £250 more expensive? The Eonon is £332 on their website and although it seems a bit more of a risk, for that price is probably worth going for.

To further add nails to the coffin of my plans to change the actual head units, I've done a bit more reading and because I've got factory nav, I'd need to buy a cable/loom from Dynavin which costs £50 and needs to be routed to the back of the car. Not sure I like the sound of this, it's not exactly a small cable :(

If you've not got the navigation already, I've found that the Eonon D5150 is the best of the bunch - not including the Dynavin' models. Can be had from Eonon directly on eBay for £250 and stock is due around the 8th August (they're showing a price of £999, though this is due to them not having stock at present)

Associate
Bought the e39 530d I mentioned from my uncle as he was going to trade it in last weekend. Had a couple of cosmetic things done to it and driving it home the gearbox went! done less than 200 miles!

going to cost about £1500 to have the gearbox reconditioned which is half of what I paid for the car!

Gutted!

Caporegime
Bought the e39 530d I mentioned from my uncle as he was going to trade it in last weekend. Had a couple of cosmetic things done to it and driving it home the gearbox went! done less than 200 miles!

going to cost about £1500 to have the gearbox reconditioned which is half of what I paid for the car!

Gutted!

Is that fitted?

Your stuck between a rock and a hard place unfortunately, I researched (Automatic) gearbox replacement cost on my old 528i auto due to its huge miles - thankfuly a job never required - whilst I could have picked up a box for under £300 these were unknown quantity's without any warranty, a reputable breaker such as FAB direct http://www.fabdirect.com/bmw-parts-finder/part-details/bmw-5-series-e39-e39-530d-306d1-automatic--auto-gearbox-24001423903/10374/ will charge a lot more, especially for a diesel box - this one is £916+VAT with a 3 mth warranty, supplied, not fitted.

Diesel gearboxes seem to cost rather more than the petrol equivalent alas. :(

Associate
Hi yes thats fitted.

I have spoken to Fab Direct they don't have one which will fit properly. apparently in the 4 years between 1999 and 2003 they had 5 different iterations of the 530d gearbox and cant guarantee that it will fit unless you buy the exact part number of the one it is replacing.

There is only 1 I can find anywhere at the moment on ebay and this is 699 without the torque converter without a warranty. For 700 quid I don't know if I fancy taking a punt on it!
Other wise i can find one for £300 but the part number is slightly different and have no guarantee that it will work correctly.

These are GM boxes and much more expensive than the ZF counterparts

Associate
To further add nails to the coffin of my plans to change the actual head units, I've done a bit more reading and because I've got factory nav, I'd need to buy a cable/loom from Dynavin which costs £50 and needs to be routed to the back of the car. Not sure I like the sound of this, it's not exactly a small cable :(

If you've not got the navigation already, I've found that the Eonon D5150 is the best of the bunch - not including the Dynavin' models. Can be had from Eonon directly on eBay for £250 and stock is due around the 8th August (they're showing a price of £999, though this is due to them not having stock at present)

Yeah, think the Eonon is the way to go. It's certainly not the best out of the 3, but I don't really want to pay double that price and still have issues. Will likely get one then return it under DSR if it really doesn't work out.

Man of Honour

Thats what I thought when it was time for a second nav unit - as above it went back, it had several fundamental flaws that for my rendered it largely pointless. This was about 9 months ago though so perhaps they are better now.

If you go for an Eonon, be prepared to install it and use it within the DSR deadline. This is much easier if you dont have Nav because it's fairly easy to install, but far more difficult if you have Nav. Also the version I tried had the smaller screen to enable it to be fitted without removing the radio cage. if you get one that doesnt allow this by the time it's fitted you've already made it quite difficult to go back to how it was before..

Again I feel I must re-iterate that it is very hard to recommend removing existing 16:9 navigation for one of these devices. If you have no nav it's a great solution, if you already have nav, buy an intravee and put up with the crummy nav.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im a right plonker... :(

I wish I hadn't let my free years warranty lapse now when BMW sent me a letter to renew. At that stage my car had already gone over the 60k mark and thus it would have put me into the higher bracket.

Anyway, reason why I'm crying is that my e91s central locking system has decided go mental. The 57 fuse blew, and I have replaced it with a 20A (originally a 15A) as mentioned here (http://blog.schemingsolutions.com/?p=89) and it looks like it hasnt had any effect.

The car was going in for an oil service next Monday anyway, so I guess I am going to have to get them to look at this as well now :( Even though it is a known issue with e9x models, I bet they will still charge me the earth :(

Soldato
Just ordered some oil for my ZF auto gearbox and some more oil for my differential. I don't buy into this Lifetime oil nonsense especially after getting in touch with ZF directly.

Now I just need to order a new gearbox fluid filter, sump gasket, and some sort of oil pump device to get the new oil in there.

I've also got new brakes + pads to fit, along with a brake fluid change, and finally replacing some bushes with Powerflex items to tighten the steering up. Should be an action packed weekend when everything arrives.

Then I've got the VANOS seals to do so will likely need a new rocker gasket, but that'll probably be a job for a few weeks time.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24696224 said:
Thats what I thought when it was time for a second nav unit - as above it went back, it had several fundamental flaws that for my rendered it largely pointless. This was about 9 months ago though so perhaps they are better now.

If you go for an Eonon, be prepared to install it and use it within the DSR deadline. This is much easier if you dont have Nav because it's fairly easy to install, but far more difficult if you have Nav. Also the version I tried had the smaller screen to enable it to be fitted without removing the radio cage. if you get one that doesnt allow this by the time it's fitted you've already made it quite difficult to go back to how it was before..

Again I feel I must re-iterate that it is very hard to recommend removing existing 16:9 navigation for one of these devices. If you have no nav it's a great solution, if you already have nav, buy an intravee and put up with the crummy nav.

Think I'll be doing just that after doing some more research and thinking about it :p

Options now are either a BMW MP3 changer from a late model E46, or the Intravee system. Either option is an acceptable compromise tbh.

My BM54 module has been updated and upgraded and now supports dynamic traffic routing and MP3 tag support on the 16:9 screen so that'll work for me, or obviously the Intravee which does the same but off an iPod so either way I should be set to go.

Soldato
Cheers Fox - I've got a list of compatible MP3 changer part numbers written down somewhere so I've been hitting eBay daily to see if any come up. Chances are it'll be the Intravee at this rate :)

Man of Honour
I got about 3 of them years ago simply by buying any that had a production date post September 05. They all worked fine (Though be aware you dont get folder browsing or anything like that I don't think?).

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24707352 said:
I got about 3 of them years ago simply by buying any that had a production date post September 05. They all worked fine (Though be aware you dont get folder browsing or anything like that I don't think?).

The lack of folder browsing is going to be a problem. Intravee it is then :)

Thanks again for your input Fox - you've saved me from an Eonon :p

Man of Honour
The Intravee is amazing - it even does great stuff like realtime data logging, allows you to view coolant temp etc, you can set autofolding mirrors, you can set enhanced autolocking, its just great.

Soldato
Im a right plonker... :(

I wish I hadn't let my free years warranty lapse now when BMW sent me a letter to renew. At that stage my car had already gone over the 60k mark and thus it would have put me into the higher bracket.

Anyway, reason why I'm crying is that my e91s central locking system has decided go mental. The 57 fuse blew, and I have replaced it with a 20A (originally a 15A) as mentioned here (http://blog.schemingsolutions.com/?p=89) and it looks like it hasnt had any effect.

The car was going in for an oil service next Monday anyway, so I guess I am going to have to get them to look at this as well now :( Even though it is a known issue with e9x models, I bet they will still charge me the earth :(
Its now working.... Odd, I guess it needed the engine started for it to reset?

Soldato
So a while back my Bluetooth packed in, after a bit of googling turned out to be the mulf unit, I managed to secure what looked like an identical unit off the bay for £50 the other day, I plugged it in and immediately I had the TEL symbol back and also my cd changer, but I'm having a few issues, it will connect to my phone ok and I can make calls etc but for some reason it wont sync my phonebook where it did before, its an older unit than I had and was from an E60 rather than my E90 but we all know they share certain parts across the whole range, just wondering if its because the software is older and needs updating etc and also coding specifically to the car?

Back
Top Bottom