Hi - Does anyone use a C.I.S ink system to print?

h4b

h4b

Associate
Hiya

I was wondering does anyone use c.i.s ink systems to prints as I use epson ink and i am going through ink like crazy at mo but don't want to go down cheap compat route really if I can help it.

I hear that cis systems are good there are loads about but I did'nt no of what makes and brands are good, I am printing on a epson 1400 a3 printer

thanks

Ken

Associate
i have been using one for about 2 years or so. it saves a fortune on ink. i got if from the bay, as well as the ink. pretty easy to fit. my printer is an epson px700w. if you get one you should also have a look around for a waste ink capture tank (also the 'bay). it's just a plastic container connected to the waste ink output tube. it's necessary because epsons have (i presume all inkjet printers do) a set of fibre pads to soak up the ink that is used when cleaning the heads and over time they end up like a sponge.

finally, there is a service reset program that turns off the 'printer requires servicing' error which lights up after about 500 or so hours of printing. which, once you fit a ciss, is easy to accumulate. after fitting one it's more a case of "where can i get more photopaper from"

Soldato
I got mine from http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/

Yes it saves a fortune

The only Issue i seem to have every now and then is when the printer "thinks" I've run out of ink I press the reset button on the cartridges and I have to do 10 ish nozzle cleans before it prints properly again.

But thats a small price to pay for saving £100 per month on Ink

Associate
I was wondering does anyone use c.i.s ink systems to prints as I use epson ink and i am going through ink like crazy at mo but don't want to go down cheap compat route really if I can help it.

I wouldn't recommend CIS unless you are printing every day.

My experience is that the CIS ink (Lyson) was inclined to block the nozzles. As a result, you use much, much more ink, which in turn fills the waste ink disposal system. I bought an external waste tank, but eventually gave up and bought an Epson r3880, which came with about a pint and a quarter of ink in it's cartridges.

If you are using it every day, you might get away with it because the ink isn't stationary for long enough to block but for me, it didn't work.

Andrew

Soldato
I wasn't using the CIS, but the refillable cartridges and for me it even got clogged up when removing a cartridge to refill it. It sometimes required 15-20 minutes of cleaning just to get a clean nozzle-check sheet. Cartridges sourced from somewhere else may have helped, but I think it was ink in the nozzles rather than the delivery to the nozzles.

It still worked out cheaper than the Canon originals, even constantly doing the cleaning routines, but I found the ink fading badly in direct sunlight too, so thought "sod this" and just went back to the original cartridges.

The colours were also way off even with after using a printer-calibration service, being noticeably too dark and under-saturated, but after setting up a Photoshop action it was manageable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom