Took a M5 and 640D GC out for a drive

Soldato
My wife landed a very good job so I want to get her something a little special.

So yesterday I took the new M5 and 640d out on a test drive
IMG_00000128_zpsbbe30bba.jpg

I know they are quite different cars but overall cost of each is about the same.

As everyone knows the M5 is fast, really fast. When driving in comfort mode its just like any other 5 series, smooth and comfortable.
The DTC gearbox is so much better then the old SMG box, its extremely smooth and responsive. The handling was excellent as expected and I never felt I was short of power. I was doing 110 before I even noticed it.

The interior let the car down, its really no better than the standard 5 series unless you pay an extra 5.5k for full leather. However its very well specced as standard with heads up display and sunroof as standard.

640d
IMG_00000133_zps66932de6.jpg

Here is where the surprise came in. I was expecting to want the M5 however as soon as you get into the 6GC you immediately feel you are in a luxury car. The interior is just beautiful with leather everywhere. The car itself is also probably the best looking car in its class (CLS and A7).

http://wot.motortrend.com/thread-of...mw-6-series-gran-coupe-cockpit/#axzz2atQ5qTuJ

Obviously it is nothing like the M5 to drive but its still quick enough and the handling is not bad at all, definitely much better than the 5 GT we have now.
I think it will do around 40 MPG compared to 20 in the M5 but the interior wins it for me. I would love a M6 but we cant afford that. I only get 20 MPG out of my 911 so my brain is telling me we should have one sensible car in the family.

I will go and take a look around the Mercedes dealer this weekend but right now the 6 in on the top of my list.

Man of Honour
To be fair why would the M5 interior be any better to a regular 5 - it is a 5 Series after all, they are not going to change the entire dash just for one model.

That said I think I probably agree with your sentiment in this thread. I have not driven a 6 Series but I have driven an M5. It was, obviously, both amazing and pointlessly fast but I think I'd probably get more ownership enjoyment out of a 6GC and its plusher interior even with a non M powered engine in it.

The M5 was SO brutally fast that its difficult to know what you'd do without it without either shattering the law daily or finding it a drag. I was lucky in that I drove it in Germany where I could legally put my foot right down - a big part of the experience.

Soldato
OP
As you say it was pointlessly fast and you do not feel the speed, when pushing my 911 you feel like your going fast and it gives you a bit of a thrill. In the M5 you can be playing with the radio glance up at the speedo only to find that you are doing 110+ MPH:D

I understand the interior is the same as a normal 5 series but it would have been nice if they set it apart by making full leather standard or just a few small extra touches to make you think you are setting in something a little more special than a 520d that your local printer toner salesman drives.

Soldato
I will say nothing more than about a month ago I saw a brand new M5 in Estoril blue and ended up driving behind it. It looked utterly awesome in every way, possibly better than the E39.

I haven't seen the 6 about yet.

Soldato
The new S is out soon. In the metal with the right colour it looks beautiful, and the interior is amazing. Nothing in BMW's range interests me these days, even the M5. I would own an E63 everyday over the M5.

Soldato
I would tend to agree, although I am agreeing based on what the interiors are like, not the drive, as I have not driven either, the only new generation BMW's I have driven are a 520D and a 320i xDdrive.

I went into BMW today to sign some paperwork for my car and when I was done I had a good poke around some of the cars in the showroom, in particular I liked the 640D and a 7 series, the 7 was debadged and I couldn't see anything saying exactly which model it was, I suspect it was a 730D though, being as they are far and away the most common. Either way though, lovely interior, huge improvement on the old car ...however, I did prefer the column selector for the autobox on the old car to the new joystick style selector which has found it's way back to the transmission tunnel on the new car.

The 640D was lovely inside too, it did feel very luxurious, certainly a step above the 525D parked on the other side of the showroom, which of course, did not have full extended leather. I think a blue 640D with light leather would be a fantastic car.

I think the 640D makes more sense as an everyday car than an M5, especially as you already have a Porsche.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I'll echo the comments that the 6gc is a truly stunning car, keep seeing a couple at work and the hotel I stay in, just lovely.

Man of Honour
I've just driven back from a wedding in Marlborough in my 530D. The journey is around 120 miles and for the first 6 miles we were pootling along at 30mph and I stopped 10 mins to take in caffeine. When I got home my average speed for the journey, including the stop and pootling was, well, lots. I did the journey in sub, well, not lots and I was, it is fair to say, carrying significant leptons safely for the majority of the journey.

The journey would have been no quicker in an M5, I think as a day to day car that doesn't urinate cash and STILL returned 34mpg for said journey it is peerless. I would not consider an M5 as a daily as it would crap cash due to the mileage I do and I am tired of crapping such cash. When I finally get my next GT3 the day to day mile muncher will stay. M5 is a bit pointless really for the vast majority of journeys and not special enough for the ones when it's not i feel. They are heavily subsidised by BMW for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom