Today I lost my job...

Man of Honour
I remember in my first year in my current job, I had HR having a word with me because I was off ill for 8 days in the first 12 months (one week with flu). I thought it a little harsh, but if you're off for 9 days during your first 3 months probation, you can't be surprised if your employer thinks of you as unreliable, whatever the reasons.

Good luck for tomorrow anyway, hopefully you get it and can put your health issues behind you.

Soldato
God, I was off for about seven days for what I thought was an in and out operation (turned out I was laid up for two weeks and still recovering for another 6). During the recovery I worked half days for a fortnight then started coming in full time again. This was all during my probation - nice company I work for :D

Soldato
...tomorrow I have an interview with a rival company for a higher position than I was in.

So, today I got the sack for having to many days off sick in my first 3 months, I shall go into a bit of detail. I have been rushed into hospital twice due to asthma attacks, so that is 2 days sick, I was off for a week with a sick note due to Bronchitis. I was also off for 2 days due to a severe stomach bug, all this was 'too much time off' for my HR department, so they forced my managers hand and I was let go today. Neither my manager nor Assistant Manager wanted to let me go as they thought I was one of the best workers in the store, shame Home Bargains HR is run by *****...

So, upon leaving the building, I rounded the corner and popped into B&M as I knew they were recruiting for a new store opening soon. I inquired, walked away with an application form and was told to fetch it back ASAP for an interview for the supervisor role, no previous experience in the role required. I came home, filled the form in, printed a CV, took it back and the manager asked why I wanted the job, I was honest and told him why. I now have an interview at 12noon tomorrow...

I've not read the whole thread, but that amount of sick would have got you fired virtually everywhere, especially in your probation period.

Commissario
Seems a bit like grounds for unfair dismissal, but I guess you were still in probation so not a lot you can do. Good luck with the interview tomorrow, sure it'll be fine!

Soldato
You can see it from their perspective though right?

If you were paying me to do a job and for nearly 20% of the time I wasn't able to do it, would you want to keep me on or would you take the easy (and legal) option and tell me to **** off?

Permabanned
Seems a bit like grounds for unfair dismissal, but I guess you were still in probation so not a lot you can do. Good luck with the interview tomorrow, sure it'll be fine!

If he was sick he is technically unable to fulfil his contractual obligations...this is how companies can justify sacking someone for excessive sickness within a given timeframe....as you said, as he was under the 2 year limit, he cannot do anything anyway.

Soldato
Last place was a warning after any two periods of sickness in a rolling 12 month period, then an escalation in warnings till termination for every period of absence in every subsequent rolling 12 month period.

You could be off for 1 day or one month, each only counted as a period of sick.

Don
I've been at my current job a little over 10months now. In that time I've only taken a 1/2 day off of work due a migraine, but I was working again later that afternoon!

In my previous job I think I only had a couple of unplanned sickness days in the 6 years I was there (I had a week off for planned hospital work at some point).

I'm just lucky I guess..

Man of Honour

This for sure.

Have you checked your rights. Not that you'd want to go back but it's worth looking into.

We had some bloke here start, then was off for 3 weeks.. then back and forth. Been here years since.. Health, timing and occupations aren't always syncrhonised how we want them.

Anyway, good luck with the interview :)

Back
Top Bottom