New Bike Decision.

Associate
Bit of a different ends of the spectrum post this one guy's. I am starting to look around for my next bike, currently on an 2011 plated er6-f, with 8000 or so on it, that I bought brand new.

Here's the dilemma, i am 44 and have never owned a sportsbike, always wanted one but never happened, so I am seriously looking at the New GSXR750, even discussed getting the test ride sorted with the dealer, albeit on the 600 due to availability.

Pro's :
Its a gsxr!
Always wanted one.
Adjustable height gear selector (13mm) obviously brake pedal too.

Con's:
Its a gsxr, I may lose my licence :p
I am 6'3 (hence the adjustable comment above)
Insurance, close to £700 FC.
Fuel consumption (use daily for 20 mile round trip commute)
I already have a niggle in my lower back.
Not ideal for pillions.

Next up is the 2013 Vstrom 650. Read so much good stuff about them.

Pro's:
More suited to my height.
Insurance is only about £220 FC.
Better fuel economy.
More user friendly, less chance of losing licence.
More suitable for the wife's generous behind, as pillion :D
Looks better with panniers/top box.
It's about 2k (IIRC) cheaper than gsxr.

Cons:
Its NOT a gsxr.
Not sure I like the mirrors.
Would I look silly on one, in my two piece black leathers.

I know what someone will say, more pro's and less con's for the Vstrom....and I really think the practical side of me will go this way....but then the little guy in my other ear is whispering gsxr gsxr.....

I really am torn here, as I don't want to get to a certain,age and think to myself, oh I am too old for a sportsbike now, if only I had bought one year's ago.

So I am open to any persuasion/advice/abuse you guys care to throw my way(easy on the abuse though) ;)

Cheers.

Caporegime
go for the gsxr

you wont lose your license aslong as your sensible or give it the beans in the right places:D

£700 fc is too expensive imo maybe go tpft? £150 for me on an 04 zx10r

also why go brand new?? choose a used one a year or two old and save yourself a big chunk of money

Associate
Alternatively, you could get this AND this for 9 grand. Sure, they are a bit older, but if your willing to make that compromise, you can have everything you want :)

Associate
If you're going brand new, I certainly would go FC on the insurance, 9K is a hell of a lot to risk on a TPO......

As to which bike, test ride them both and get what you like more, you only live the once.

Both bikes will be more than capable of what you want :)

Associate
OP
I bet you've been looking in streetbikes?

Damn, you rumbled me :p

TBH there aren't that many dealers around, I got Cradley Kawasaki and Triumph in Wolves near my work.....and please dont say J&S in Digbeth...they will not get any substantial amount off me again (er6f from here)

As for insurance it would have to FC anyway for new, as Wyvern says.

You guys ain't really helping me....I thought you would all be screaming the sensible option, vstrom vstrom vstrom.....almost the opposite so far and I can hear the little guy perched by my ear chuckling to himself :D

Associate
You need the GSXR.

It WILL always be in the back of your mind.

If you get on with the riding position on the 600 test ride. Go for it!

Can always part ex it next year if you still fancy the vstrom, but at least you will have experienced it. No regrets :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Try it out, you might want one but actually get on it and think its a turd (for you) mainly comfort. I really wanted a 012 plate zx10 took it for a spin and i really couldnt get on with it, pained me to find out though :(

Soldato
I loved my K5 GSXR750. It really is probably the best sportsbike you can buy for the road. It very much depends on where you ride it though. There's no doubt you will find it much harder on the neck and wrists around town compared to the ER6 and the ride is very firm.

You should test ride one at least, otherwise you'll buy the VStrom, then still yearn for the GSXR. Have to say though I think the Versys is a better bike than the Vstrom (I actually sold my GSXR750 and replaced it with a Versys) - much more fun, although maybe too similar to your ER6.

If you've got that much to spend why not look at the Tiger 675 of 800GS?

Back
Top Bottom