Do you undertake middle lane morons!

Man of Honour
A good eighty percent of the very worst driving I`ve seen in the last month has involved a German car, including a cretin in a black BMW actually overtaking me by going the wrong way round a roundabout (east Hythe), an imbecile - at the last moment - cutting across 4 lanes then the hatched area then 3 more lanes on the slip road (to turn left from Junc 4 of the M25) in a metallic red Mercedes open top, and a moron in a white Audi (near Goldthorpe) trying to overtake a car on the inside by using the cycle lane.......
I know I`m right about (some) German car drivers, but I also reckon Vauxhall Astra and Vauxhall Insignia drivers are more likely to be aggressive, particularly if the cars are black in colour, which, if you think about it, is pretty stupid, because if you`re going to drive too fast and/or aggressively, you really should be in a car whose colour makes you as visible as possible. But then again, these kind of drivers obviously have no imagination anyway, "what could possibly go wrong ?" must never occur to them.

It's hilarious to see you using the word cretin, ironic in the extreme. You have no idea how you come across have you Justin, a typical trait of a psychopath interestingly...

Permabanned
I have to say I`m surprised at the Governments decision to introduce fixed penalty notices for "middle laning". It`s not something I do myself (or I don`t think I do, it`s subjective) but I really can`t understand why people get so upset by it, there are far worse examples of [dangerous] road behaviour which should be clamped down on before "middle laning".
However, there is an interesting discussion (here) on the technicalities of prosecuting middle laners and this concludes that there really aren`t going to be many drivers "done" for driving in the middle lane, so it`s all hot air really, after all, I hate illegally loud cars and bikes but despite that being an objective offence I happen to know the police hardly ever prosecute anyone for it.

Soldato
I hate illegally loud cars and bikes but despite that being an objective offence I happen to know the police hardly ever prosecute anyone for it.

Round here it's ridiculous with buses and trucks going up hills. You can be sat outside in a park and wouldn't know that there's loads of traffic going up the main road nearby... until one of the vehicles is a bus. As-well as slowing down all the traffic, and belching out black diesel fumes, the bus is a million times louder than all the other vehicles (and not even a nice engine note!) and the sound carries quite a distance.

Soldato
I find, now that I'm driving a bit slower in my hypermiler, that the middle lane hogs also refuse to go into the outside lane.

If I'm overtaking a lorry on a 3 lane motorway at 65 - I sometimes get a car approaching on an otherwise clear road that will come up behind me, and then slow down instead of moving to the outside lane and passing.

I usually watch them carry on in the middle lane once I'm passed and have pulled over.

Soldato
I find, now that I'm driving a bit slower in my hypermiler, that the middle lane hogs also refuse to go into the outside lane.

If I'm overtaking a lorry on a 3 lane motorway at 65 - I sometimes get a car approaching on an otherwise clear road that will come up behind me, and then slow down instead of moving to the outside lane and passing.

I usually watch them carry on in the middle lane once I'm passed and have pulled over.

The best bit is where they can't keep a constant speed anyway so if you're happily milling along at 65mph in the outside lane on cruise, next lorry a quarter mile away, they come up at 70mph and then decide to slow down to 65mph when they're pretty much next to you, leaving you to either brake or accelerate out of their way to overtake the lorry safely. That hacks me off the most.

Soldato
I must admit I have more or less given up on all this competitive crap. My "Works" vehicle is an ancient VW Transporter 1.6D (1984, 50HP and 300,000 miles! All done by me!) that cant go much more than 50 anyway. As a result I am now perfectly happy cruising at 50 in all my other vehicles too! (And the Land-cruiser can do nearly 40MPG at a 50MPH cruise, drops off significantly above that! Jag isn't too bad either!:D)

i used to do the 60 thing, but I got fed up with zig-zagging with the trucks in L1 and the fact that there never seemed to be a gap in the L2 traffic when I wanted to pull out to pass them without braking/accelerating. :mad:

So I reckoned it would just be easier to go a bit slower so I wouldn't have to worry about passing anybody! :D

The funny thing is, I have found that it doesn't actually make that much difference to journey times. IE Routes that I am familiar with and travelled (Much) faster in the past (I was young once! ;) :D XJ12C!) don't take much longer now. It is the amount of time you spend in traffic jams that determines the duration of the journey. Not the distance you can cover at 90! Time and again, I see somebody distinctive fly past at 90 only to find them 10 vehicles ahead 25 minutes later in the roadworks (It does genuinely amaze me)!

I guess the trucks don't like me much but I also imagine that me going 50 causes a lot less inconvenience for everybody else than another truck travelling at 55.9991MPH does!

Only time I move out of L1 is lane splits, making room for joining traffic at on slips, Tractors and getting into the right lane for right turns at upcoming junctions!

It makes for wonderfully stress free driving!

(Well, for me anyway! ;) )

Associate
I must admit I have more or less given up on all this competitive crap. My "Works" vehicle is an ancient VW Transporter 1.6D (1984, 50HP and 300,000 miles! All done by me!) that cant go much more than 50 anyway. As a result I am now perfectly happy cruising at 50 in all my other vehicles too! (And the Land-cruiser can do nearly 40MPG at a 50MPH cruise, drops off significantly above that! Jag isn't too bad either!:D)

i used to do the 60 thing, but I got fed up with zig-zagging with the trucks in L1 and the fact that there never seemed to be a gap in the L2 traffic when I wanted to pull out to pass them without braking/accelerating. :mad:

So I reckoned it would just be easier to go a bit slower so I wouldn't have to worry about passing anybody! :D

The funny thing is, I have found that it doesn't actually make that much difference to journey times. IE Routes that I am familiar with and travelled (Much) faster in the past (I was young once! ;) :D XJ12C!) don't take much longer now. It is the amount of time you spend in traffic jams that determines the duration of the journey. Not the distance you can cover at 90! Time and again, I see somebody distinctive fly past at 90 only to find them 10 vehicles ahead 25 minutes later in the roadworks (It does genuinely amaze me)!

I guess the trucks don't like me much but I also imagine that me going 50 causes a lot less inconvenience for everybody else than another truck travelling at 55.9991MPH does!

Only time I move out of L1 is lane splits, making room for joining traffic at on slips, Tractors and getting into the right lane for right turns at upcoming junctions!

You've just said you didn't want to travel at 60 because it made it difficult to get into lane 2 to overtake trucks. How do you think the trucks feel doing 58 trying to get into lane 2 to overtake someone doing 50? I'm just surprised you didn't decide to go at 58mph with the trucks as that would cause the least disruption for everyone. Atleast you aren't doing 55mph so trucks can actually overtake you in a reasonable distance.

Soldato
*snip*

Can't see it causing less incovenience, you're simply forcing all the lorries to overtake you, all the time (which on a busy motorway slows things down about as much taking 10s instead of a minute) instead of just some overtaking, some of the time. Also doing 50mph in the middle lane (even/especially around slip roads) is asking for trouble IMO.

Associate
I used to overtake properly, but these days if you want to make progress sometimes its just bloody impossible. I have had instances where lane 2 is congested and lane 3 is slighty less so but lane one is completely clear.

Sometimes though just to make a point when lane 1 and 3 are clear and there is a lane 2 hogger and I overtake like I should, I don't flip them the bird or anything just show them how its supposed to work.

Back
Top Bottom