When should i take protein shakes?

Man of Honour
Nah no way it was placebo, the only thing I did differently was take 3 chondroiton tablets a day and then the pain starts lessening to the point I can't feel it. Last time I checked placebo didn't mean that.

That's exactly what it means :confused: but then I'm of the opinion that if it works it works who cares if it's the placebo effect.

Permabanned
That's exactly what it means :confused: but then I'm of the opinion that if it works it works who cares if it's the placebo effect.

No placebo means you think you've seen a difference but there in no tell tale signs of noticing. With this I noticed a big difference...

Man of Honour
From Wiki
Sometimes patients given a placebo treatment will have a perceived or actual improvement in a medical condition, a phenomenon commonly called the placebo effect.
The mind is a powerful thing if it truely believes that whatever your taking should have an effect then a lot of the time it will.

Man of Honour
No placebo means you think you've seen a difference but there in no tell tale signs of noticing. With this I noticed a big difference...

Placebo effect is actually both, i.e. where something has no basis for helping (i.e. a sugar tablet) resolves a medical condition, or people thing it helps. However, to add to this, people often change another variable when indulging in a new treatment/protocol (like people starting a new diet lift more and attribute it to the diet/deficit, when in actual fact, they're sleeping better and eating more healthily)

As the brain is involved in both pathways, the effect is pretty strong for the average person.

However, as tom_e points out, the important thing is that it helped. From a well-being perspective, that is what counts. :)

Permabanned
I can see your point as placebo does play a part but this certainly wasn't just my mind telling me it wasn't hurting.

That's like going in for surgery and thinking what if they didn't actually do anything and I just think I'm fixed.

Man of Honour
now imgaining cheetahs wearing shoes, sat at desks, working. I am sure there was more then that to your response Ice :p
:D

Nah that was pretty much it.
Nah no way it was placebo, the only thing I did differently was take 3 chondroiton tablets a day and then the pain starts lessening to the point I can't feel it. Last time I checked placebo didn't mean that.

I can see your point as placebo does play a part but this certainly wasn't just my mind telling me it wasn't hurting.

That's like going in for surgery and thinking what if they didn't actually do anything and I just think I'm fixed.
I was half joking before, but there are plenty of reasonable explanations as to why your elbow stopped hurting that don't involve chondroitin doing anything at all.

If you're happy spending the money on it then it doesn't matter, although I would encourage you (and anyone you recommend chondroitin to) to address mobility issues around the joint that is causing pain.

Also, it's very unlikely that your shoulders have good mobility, simply because modern living ****s you up. I can literally see the dysfunction in peoples shoulders. The mobility thread has some good videos that help explain how to test and treat.

Permabanned
That's the point we're making, we're not saying it's not working. Even if it's just a placebo effect as long as you feel the effects then it's working :p :D

Well at first it seemed like people were saying Chondroiton has no effect as no studies have proven so, then placebo came in so I wasn't entirely sure what point some of you were trying to make lol :p

Anyone got a link to the mobility thread?

Permabanned
glucosamine is useless, it does nothing, it doesn't work

flax seed oil helps joints iirc

and your multi vit wont be helping joints much unless it is something like orange triad.

the only reason I take a multi-vit is for b12 basically as I cant get that through my diet, flax seed is just a veggie option for fish oils, ive read that glucosamine is beneficial for runners, but tbh I dont notice any difference whether I take it or not!

Caporegime
for the person with flat feet -

you need to correct your bio mechanical movement if you can, by retraining your body to walk and run correctly.

try and go barefoot as much as possible, as most shoes especially those with thick heels mess up your bio mechanical movement even further and is usually the cause of flat feet in the first place.

it's the shoes causing you to use incorrect movement, our bodies were not designed to be wearing shoes.

you should be using the balls of your feet, etc.

problem with barefoot is, it takes ages to get used to and you wont be able to run barefoot at all without injuring yourself unless you have done some serious regular mileage walking barefoot. i tried running barefoot and i injured my knee, got several blisters and was in agony for days.

tbh i couldnt be bothered doing all of that and i just bought specific running shoes for my type of feet (flat footed - collapsed arches). i'm still flat footed, but i can now run without pain.

tbh it's best to try and solve the problem at the cause rather than try and fix it after it's caused an issue.

wearing vibram's is one way to do it or any other minimalist shoe, but the earlier you start the better. women don't usually have an issue because they normally get a decent arch in their foot from wearing heels regularly.

Back
Top Bottom