Gay wedding.. Ideas for shots?

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Hi guys,

I've been booked as the photographer for a civil partnership in September (two men), but have no idea how to pose them. All the weddings I've ever done involve a woman dammit! :p

Anyone got tips or ideas? They're not after posed shots so I know it's going to be kept casual but I don't want it to look awkward or cheesy.

I dare not google this.

Soldato
Probably best to ask them what they want from you as a photographer.

A friend of mine who is gay got married not long ago and I saw the wedding photos on Facebook. The service photos are pretty typical of a wedding.

The area where it differed though were those of the couple shot after the service together. Typically this is of a bride and groom very intimate with each other. With my friend, they were adopting quite cheesy poses, such as holding their heads and starring into each others eyes. Its a bit different and I tried not to laugh at some of the shots. Maybe its what they wanted and how the photographer handled it though.

Soldato
As DP said, you're paid to do what they want. Show them your standard of work and how you handle a wedding and see what they want. Pretty straightforward stuff really.

Also, sick 'em Phate :D

Soldato
I really don't think asking the clients how to pose them will offer any benefit whatsoever. I think it will likely have a negative effect. Firstly posing should come from the photographer, the client is paying for a photographers skill after all. If the clients were the ones with all the creativity and skill they could just get their friends to take pictures while they pose.

The most important thing between a photographer and his client (especially for weddings) is TRUST. If you are asking the client how to pose them, they are going to lose trust in you're ability. Once they lose trust it's game over, the pictures are going to come out awkward.

The only thing you can ask while retaining at least some credibility is, "what style of photography do you prefer, more formal or more relaxed and natural". They most definitely will respond with "natural and relaxed please", but that offers no information or direction of how to actually direct the clients to achieve such outcome.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
I suppose I was not clear in my OP.

I was not asking how should I pose them, but the "types" of shots that are applicable to same-sex couples. I already know they're after informal, relaxed shots. Do I ask them to kiss or keep it safe and have loads of shots of them walking and laughing etc. Googling is not fun :eek::(

The couple themselves have stated that they aren't interested in formal shots except for the core obvious shots, but they also said they have never been to another same-sex ceremony, so they aren't sure what to expect in terms of shots.

This is will be my 4th wedding this year (including one this weekend), and my 16th wedding in total, so I feel comfortable shooting for a bride and groom but they approached me with the statement that they like my style etc, which is my reassurance. They are aware that I've never covered a same-sex ceremony.

Soldato
I really don't think asking the clients how to pose them will offer any benefit whatsoever. I think it will likely have a negative effect. Firstly posing should come from the photographer, the client is paying for a photographers skill after all. If the clients were the ones with all the creativity and skill they could just get their friends to take pictures while they pose.

The most important thing between a photographer and his client (especially for weddings) is TRUST. If you are asking the client how to pose them, they are going to lose trust in you're ability. Once they lose trust it's game over, the pictures are going to come out awkward.

The only thing you can ask while retaining at least some credibility is, "what style of photography do you prefer, more formal or more relaxed and natural". They most definitely will respond with "natural and relaxed please", but that offers no information or direction of how to actually direct the clients to achieve such outcome.

I was thinking the same reading the comments about asking them what they want, if a wedding photographer started asking me what shot's I wanted he wouldn't be getting the job.

I'd suggest just keep shooting and don't worry too much, if they have all ready told you informal shots, shoot your normal style as much as you can.

Caporegime
I was thinking the same reading the comments about asking them what they want, if a wedding photographer started asking me what shot's I wanted he wouldn't be getting the job.

I'd suggest just keep shooting and don't worry too much, if they have all ready told you informal shots, shoot your normal style as much as you can.

If a wedding photographer couldn't provide suggestions and discuss what I, the paying customer, wants, then they wouldn't get my business.

Caporegime
I suppose I was not clear in my OP.

I was not asking how should I pose them, but the "types" of shots that are applicable to same-sex couples. I already know they're after informal, relaxed shots. Do I ask them to kiss or keep it safe and have loads of shots of them walking and laughing etc. Googling is not fun :eek::(

The couple themselves have stated that they aren't interested in formal shots except for the core obvious shots, but they also said they have never been to another same-sex ceremony, so they aren't sure what to expect in terms of shots.

This is will be my 4th wedding this year (including one this weekend), and my 16th wedding in total, so I feel comfortable shooting for a bride and groom but they approached me with the statement that they like my style etc, which is my reassurance. They are aware that I've never covered a same-sex ceremony.

That is exactly why you need to go discuss with them what they want and explain what different shots and poses might interest them.

Do THEY want photos of them kissing?
Do THEY want more mundane photos?
Do THEY want something more dynamic and interesting?
Do THEY want something fun and quirky?
Do THEY want posed shots?

As a wedding photographer you need to discuss with them their desires and wishes, no different to any other hetro couple.

This isn't the same as asking the couple for help, this is helping the couple decide. Give suggestions, take samples of your work.
Don't just try to read their mind and decide you wont take any photos of them kissing because you are uncomfortable with that or think they wont want something that you feel is "unsafe".

My brother in law is gay, got a few photos of him and his partner kissing from my wedding last month.

Last edited:
Soldato
If a wedding photographer couldn't provide suggestions and discuss what I, the paying customer, wants, then they wouldn't get my business.

No offence DP but as a wedding photographer, if someone was requesting cheesy stuff that was completely contrary to my style of photography, I wouldn't accept their business.
Most photographers have a photographic style, and that's what the do best.
For clients I think it's best to hire a photographer who's work they love and who they trust, rather than picking a jack of all styles photographer and master of none.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No offence DP but as a wedding photographer, if someone was requesting cheesy stuff that was completely contrary to my style of photography, I wouldn't accept their business.
Most photographers have a photographic style, and that's what the do best.
For clients I think it's best to hire a photographer who's work they love and who they trust, rather than picking a jack of all styles photographer and master of none.

You are welcome to pick and choose who you wok with as you do it for fun. A professional will do whatever is required to ensure a happy customer and continued future business.

In any business the goal is to ensure the customers are satisfied with the product or service and turn that success into profit. It may be best turn turn away business to prevent bad reviews. However, a professional photographer will be solely dependent on the income from photography and in order to pay the bills must be able to adapt to a wider variety of events, conditions and requests - without pushing themselves over the edge and producing unsatisfying results for the customer. When you are a weekend warrior you can pick and choose what you want to do.

I am not trying to bash you (or any weekend wedding warrior) but there is a big difference here. This may actually highlight the advantage of non-professional wedding togs who might be less focused on paying the mortgage and more focused on enjoying the photography. Professionals can and need to be flexible, their ability to put food on the table depends upon it!

Also, your post contradicts advice that I am sure you (and certainly almost every wedding tog) have told people when looking for a wedding tog - one should always met with the photography and make sure you get along well and can produce work that you like.

Edit: I am really not explaining myself. I basically mean for the OP to treat the gay couple like any other couple, go discuss with them just like any good wedding tog does with any client.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom