Thinking of switching from BT to Sky Fibre

Associate
So i'm currently using BT Fibre and it's been working with no issues. I've even been pleasantly surprised with the HH3.

However now i'm considering moving to Sky Fibre as it's £6 cheaper a month and it's unlimited (ie. no P2P blocking like you get on BT).

Does anyone have any experience of Sky Fibre? Whats it like? Is the router you get supplied with it ok or will I need to invest in my own?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
You could re-contract to get rid of BT's shaping.

Sky Fibre is good. Router is basic. You'll need a router that supports MER if you want to use your own.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Big 74 page thread here pal - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18392071

You can use your own router, and yes its easy to extract the user/pass from the Sky router, however which ever router you get you need to ensure that it supports MER like Kia said, and usually this is achieved by an custom firmware such as DDWRT/Merlin for the Asus R/N range ...

After a shaky first two weeks, mine is stable, running on an Asus RT-N66U with DD-WRT and all seems ok

If you sign up for Sky, get it through QuidCo for easy cashback and M&S vouchers

Soldato
We've had no problems here, and we've had it a while now, I get pretty much what I should, the routers ok, not great but I have no intention of changing it as we have Sky Protect. I'd recommend it, I've seen no traffic shaping.

The only problem I have had was exchange problems which BT were utter crap at fixing :p

Associate
OP
You could re-contract to get rid of BT's shaping.

Sky Fibre is good. Router is basic. You'll need a router that supports MER if you want to use your own.

Not sure how I could re-contract to get rid of BT's traffic shaping? It's applied to all of their packages isn't it?

I know from the past that I have tried to extract the Sky username and password from one of my friends routers and it wasn't possible. This was a long time ago so I suspect the routers they use have changed since then! :D

Associate
Not sure how I could re-contract to get rid of BT's traffic shaping? It's applied to all of their packages isn't it?

I know from the past that I have tried to extract the Sky username and password from one of my friends routers and it wasn't possible. This was a long time ago so I suspect the routers they use have changed since then! :D

Yep re-contract to get rid of traffic shaping all tariffs if unlimited are non traffic shaping. But customer service is the worst i've ever had. I have just left them and i'm glad!

Man of Honour
You could chose another provider like PlusNet and use your own router without messing about. Or as above, re-contract with BT.

Permabanned
+1 for sky just recontracted after first year for a £10 off a month for 12 super stable never any problems use an Asus N66 router all fine!

Back
Top Bottom