• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are you worried about delidding because of warranty? Read this..

Soldato
So you want to delid but you're worried about warranty? Don't worry anymore! Intel fully acknowledge delidding now, valguar from OCN (delidded thread) spoke with Intel through chat and explained his need of an RMA replacement, not through overclockers insurance either. They knew it was delidded however as long as you have the original IHS which matches the CPU you're fine. Glue it on for ease and they accept it.

He just received his replacement along with a full refund, not bad!

Read here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club/21390

Soldato
I can see the logic, overclockers are a small minority so the odd cpu here and there won't hurt the bottom line as the cpu price itself is many times the manufacturing cost (minus the R&D). Keep the consumer happy and you make many times the price of a measly cpu. Not sure why they refunded it though.

Caporegime
The paste itself cant be great either tbh. Ive seen some delidded chips run pretty much the same as when they had the lid on when conventional pastes were used. Using liquid ultra/pro gave some very high temp drops. I can remenber re pasting the chipset heatsinks on an evga 680i motherboard, there was no need to clean the old stuff off as it just crumbled and dropped of once the sink was removed. I wouldnt be in the least bit surprised if intel were using the cheapest garbage they could get hold of just to save a few dollars.

Soldato
Its not the paste thats at fault its the gap between IHS and die caused by the sealant or whatever its called :D
Yea I mean the sealant.

I recall reading an article saying that after delidding, people can clean up the mess fromt the sealant and use only the paste between the actual chip and the heatspread, and just rely on motherboard's lock to hold and press the headspreader down...temp is actually much better that way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea I mean the sealant.

I recall reading an article saying that after delidding, people can clean up the mess fromt the sealant and use only the paste between the actual chip and the headspread, and just rely on motherboard's lock to hold and press the headspreader down...temp is actually much better that way.

Seems to make sense :D

tbh

tbh

Associate
He just received his replacement along with a full refund, not bad!

Why would they give him a refund and a replacement? That doesn't make any sense.

Maybe he meant that they refunded his postage? Although it didn't read like that from the link you gave.

Back
Top Bottom