• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE AMD DRIVERS THREAD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I would disable Windows auto driver download from windows update just to be on the safe side.. Makes no sense but neither does the rest of your problem from what i been able to read so fare.

Thanks, I'll do this as well.
Just never had this sort of issue with drivers before.
GPUZ records it fine. I've ran furmark etc and they all record it fine as well. Just seems to be hardware monitor, dxdiag and sleeping dogs. Very frustrating.

Caporegime
Ok, thanks. I'll try that when I get home.
Driverfusion is the same as driversweeper isn't it? It's the first time I've used it as I always used driversweeper.
I tried the 13.10 but had the same issues so went back to the 13.4. I was hoping the jump from 13.4 to 13.10 then back again using all the uninstalls and wipes would finally erase the old ones.

If that fails then I can see a clean install on the cards. Oh joy :rolleyes:

On the cards? You have crossfire?

Soldato
Thanks, I'll do this as well.
Just never had this sort of issue with drivers before.
GPUZ records it fine. I've ran furmark etc and they all record it fine as well. Just seems to be hardware monitor, dxdiag and sleeping dogs. Very frustrating.

The last thing that might not be so bad an idea would be a fresh install. A complete format and reinstall. Of course that would also be a tad annoying if your not the kind that already does it like 2 times a week like some of the rest of us.

Associate
On the cards? You have crossfire?

Hoho, sorry LtMatt. I meant 'on the cards' as in the expression. Maybe shouldn't use that in a graphics card forum :)

The last thing that might not be so bad an idea would be a fresh install. A complete format and reinstall. Of course that would also be a tad annoying if your not the kind that already does it like 2 times a week like some of the rest of us.

Twice a week? Blimey! Nope, I try and avoid it as much as possible. Only just got skyrim running how I want it mods wise.
I suppose it shouldn't take too long. Got most of my files and steam etc on my other drive. It would completely clean it up and get rid of all traces.
I'll try the other steps first, fingers-crossed.

Thanks folks.

Associate
I've had a few Red Screen crashes since going to 13.10 in Saints row 4 and Blacklist. No issues with temperature, and ULPS is definately off according to Afterburner. I have cleaned the drivers out and reinstalled, but still having probs. Seems to be ok for a while and will then just crash.

I have also removed overclocks on CPU, but issue still there.

Caporegime
I've had a few Red Screen crashes since going to 13.10 in Saints row 4 and Blacklist. No issues with temperature, and ULPS is definately off according to Afterburner. I have cleaned the drivers out and reinstalled, but still having probs. Seems to be ok for a while and will then just crash.

I have also removed overclocks on CPU, but issue still there.

Try bumping dram voltage in your bios a notch or two and see if it goes away.

Associate
Has there been any indication when the frame pacing improvements are likely to be brought to eyefinity ? I expect 2 cards driving 3 screens create a lot more synchronisation issues !

I have a 6990 using 3 screens at 5760x1080 and I'm really tempted by a 7990 which will get pretty close to doubling my performance in a lot of games and usefully move from 2gb per GPU to 3gb which is likely to help at eyefinity resolution. However, I am a little hesitant to commit without seeing an improvement or at least some technical website having actually seen the improvements at eyefinity.

Cheers

Associate
I'm running the 13.10 betas but I'm still getting choppy gameplay (ULPS is off). The game in question is Far Cry 3. Is this game always going to be choppy when running Xfire? If I use just one 7950 it's fine and totally smooth. I'm very new to Xfire so this is the first game I've played with it and even with the newest beta drivers it's dreadful. My next game will be Crysis 3. I hope it's better optimised!

Caporegime
I'm running the 13.10 betas but I'm still getting choppy gameplay (ULPS is off). The game in question is Far Cry 3. Is this game always going to be choppy when running Xfire? If I use just one 7950 it's fine and totally smooth. I'm very new to Xfire so this is the first game I've played with it and even with the newest beta drivers it's dreadful. My next game will be Crysis 3. I hope it's better optimised!

Farcry 3 runs like my underpants after a dodgy curry. Its a bloody mess. You can make it smooth by doing the following.

Download radeonpro. Setup a farcry 3 profile. Change vsync to always on, lock fps limit to vsync limit in radeon pro. In game disable vsync and set gpu buffer frame to 1.

Associate
Farcry 3 runs like my underpants after a dodgy curry. Its a bloody mess. You can make it smooth by doing the following.

Download radeonpro. Setup a farcry 3 profile. Change vsync to always on, lock fps limit to vsync limit in radeon pro. In game disable vsync and set gpu buffer frame to 1.

haha nicely put!

I'll give those suggestions a go, cheers!

EDIT: Just tried it out, perfectly smooth, top man!

Last edited:
Associate
Morning

Just an update on my issue (for those that are interested;))
I've tried all the options people have suggested on here, even reverted to using the old driversweeper instead of driverfusion, and no dice. I finally did a manual wipe of all AMD/ATI drivers, folders, registry entries etc and then installed the 13.4 drivers. This seemed to work, hardware monitor reported my card as a 7900 series. Dxdiag did the same. Managed to get a quick 20 mins on sleeping dogs and all was fine with the world. I restarted my machine and BAM! back to 6850!!!! I'm finally giving up and doing a fresh install. Just hate not knowing why this issue is happening.
I have a theory that my asus motherboard was in love my old asus 6850 and just can't let her go....

Soldato
Has there been any indication when the frame pacing improvements are likely to be brought to eyefinity ? I expect 2 cards driving 3 screens create a lot more synchronisation issues !

I have a 6990 using 3 screens at 5760x1080 and I'm really tempted by a 7990 which will get pretty close to doubling my performance in a lot of games and usefully move from 2gb per GPU to 3gb which is likely to help at eyefinity resolution. However, I am a little hesitant to commit without seeing an improvement or at least some technical website having actually seen the improvements at eyefinity.

Cheers

I've been keeping an eye out, but haven't yet seen anything from AMD saying they're working on Eyefinity support, just lots of websites reviewing the 13.8 drivers saying it's going to be coming later. Really hoping that it doesn't just get swept under the carpet and forgotten. :(

That said, I never notice any stuttering in games as long as the FPS is high enough, so moving from a 6990 to a 7990 can only produce a smoother experience than you've currently got, so my vote would be to upgrade while the 7990's are so cheap.

Associate
yes, at default Crossfire and Far Cry 3 don't agree :D
with those Radeonpro tweaks it improves for sure but is not perfect... perfect (or almost) is SINGLE GPU, definitely.
The only games I consider really playable now with Crossfire are Battlefield 3 and Metro Last Light (after patch 1.4) the others (above all by Unreal Engine 3) are not smooth as single gpu, sometimes stuttering or abnormal frame drops...hence something wrong. It's hard now to suggest Crossfire...I don't know if with today AMD hardware and graphics engines is indeed possible to find a definitive solution...just wait and see :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
I've been keeping an eye out, but haven't yet seen anything from AMD saying they're working on Eyefinity support, just lots of websites reviewing the 13.8 drivers saying it's going to be coming later. Really hoping that it doesn't just get swept under the carpet and forgotten. :(

That said, I never notice any stuttering in games as long as the FPS is high enough, so moving from a 6990 to a 7990 can only produce a smoother experience than you've currently got, so my vote would be to upgrade while the 7990's are so cheap.

That is what I am worried about - that the suggested eyefinity improvements never materialise on the 6990 or even 7990 (and 6xxx and 7xxx crossfire) and instead the architecture has some improvements built in for the new range addressing the issue in a different way.

Caporegime
That is what I am worried about - that the suggested eyefinity improvements never materialise on the 6990 or even 7990 (and 6xxx and 7xxx crossfire) and instead the architecture has some improvements built in for the new range addressing the issue in a different way.

They will. The thing is it takes time to perfect. It took months to get all dx10/dx11 games sorted so obviously dx9 and eyefinity will take a while as well. I would rather they take longer and get it right first time, like they did with the 13.8 beta than rush out a driver and causes multiple issues for users or even start killing cards or worse. Better to take their time and get it spot on first go imo. Otherwise the wolves will be waiting to descend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom