How can employers get away with this?

Soldato
I've worked in financial services for over 10 years now. My current contract is for 37.5 hours a week, and I don't think I've ever worked that! The average is somewhat higher - probably over 60 a week - but there are a few times when I work less hours and a good deal more times when I work more.

Expectation grows with responsibility, and although I don't think financial services is too different from any other industry, the culture is certainly demanding. In some positions - normally lower - it is possible to level off and work to your contract, but as you climb the ladder it becomes harder.

Our business is fortunate enough to have clearly defined goals over current, 3 and 5 years. I engage my team with those, tell them what we need and ask them what they want to achieve both at work and personally. They're smart enough to align the two together and know what they want and how to get it. Challenged along the way, I guide them towards what's realistic to get there and support them in doing so. Some will ask for more staff or resources, some will put the hours in and some will plateau. That's up to them and is where the discretionary effort / intelligence / achievement wins the day.

People who measure their performance in hours rather than achievements are very different.

Soldato
This is why I love observing those who work in corporates where working extra is the "Standard thing" and apparently the "Real World"

I work in the real world, I work my contracted hours, anything more is on OT.

I have a give and take ethos. I am perfectly happy to work a little extra here and there for effectively no remuneration but in return I expect the same flexibility in days where less hours are worked.

I would not, however, be told I am working 5 hours extra a week beyond my contractual time and "That's that". I would hand my notice in there and then, first day or not. That is not the sort of environment I would want to work in, luckily I stay well away.

Soldato
Thats why I have come to love being a contractor. There is no need to BS each other, the company doesnt expect loyalty and work for nothing, I get paid for every minute I work, dont have to get involved in any of the politics and can go home without any expectation of having to stay late.

Too many companies expect loyalty, working above and beyond your contract but when things get tight, its all forgotten. They try and pay you as little as possible and are unflexible when you need some flexibility off them.

As a contractor there is no pretense, Im as mercenary as them, so long as I do the job well then all is good.

Soldato
Private sector companies seem to expect people to work for free, your buddy should consult his union rep because it's fundamentally wrong on so many levels.

Soldato
Westminster seems to think that those in the Public Sector will work for free too. They are currently messing about with my pension which when I signed up to it was a case of paying 11% of my wage for 30 years and getting a decent retirement. Now they've moved the goalposts and I've to pay 15% of my wage, work an extra 8 years and get half of the pension I was promised.

Westminster bang on about how the Private Sector would have to work twice as long to get my original pension but forget to add that I pay twice as much as the regular Private Sector worker. It evens out.

Man of Honour
His contract will probably say "minimum of 35hrs" - even so there is undoubtedly somewhere in the contract that states he'll have to work to get the job done.

My contract is 40hrs a week - but I probably a little more, but it doesn't bother me. I don't really take a lunch break, and I can browse the net - so in reality whilst I'm at work for more than 40hrs a week, I probably do 40hrs a week's worth of work owing to my flexible working environment.

Back
Top Bottom