• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I think I just melted my 470s:(

Man of Honour
CPU _should_ have survived the thermal management on them is pretty good these days.

I actually wonder if the motherboard is the where the problem is even tho its not intuitive as that being where the fault is as those 470s will take a ridiculous amount of heat and survive ( I have some experience at trying to kill em ;) )

Soldato
CPU _should_ have survived the thermal management on them is pretty good these days.

I actually wonder if the motherboard is the where the problem is even tho its not intuitive as that being where the fault is as those 470s will take a ridiculous amount of heat and survive ( I have some experience at trying to kill em ;) )

Makes sense, the chips shutdown at 100c? Cannot really remember, something along those lines. The graphics cards even with 80c liquid were still probably cooler than when they were on stock coolers :D

Man of Honour
Depends on the model 105C usually but I've seen ones with 109C and even 125C. Its possible the VRMs got too hot too quickly and were damaged though before thermal management kicked in.

Soldato
OP
I am getting error '94' on the mobo but the codes aren't even listed in tthe manual and googling it is proving hard can anyone help?

Yeh the 470s are rated to 105 degrees, I was running max volts and clocks though whilst in game so they must have gotten to inferno levels.

Haha rroff what did you put your 470s through?

I loved those GPUs, we will never see 40% overclocked again!

The mobo can support Ivy it seems but daymn those puppies cost a penny!
Oh btw I am on 3602 BIOS which I checked pre-meltdown is the latest on the Asus site.

I wonder if the mobo is dead too now haha

Last edited:
Man of Honour
94 _probably_ means its tried to initialise the PCI/PCI-e bus and/or devices connected to it and failed which could either indicate something connected to them is dead and preventing booting or damage to the bus itself or both.

Associate
Try disconnecting the front panel USB headers, they share IRQs with the PCI-E bus and on some P67 boards are known to cause a boot failure.

I'm assuming this is the VGA LED lit right?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
it is the VGA MOBO light lit up in sinister red, not on the GPU itself.

I don't have my front panel USB headers plugged in.

So what to do next, disconnect the cards from each other (EK SLI bridge) then try card 2 in PCI-E slot 1?

Heck I need more tubing for that!

Soldato
OP
The nvidia 3D emitter is emitting an ominous red glow but it does show that some USB devices are getting power.

I have a soundcard between the GPUs though I am not actually using it these days, i am using a fiio e7 DAC amp instead. I can take it out though?

Going to sleep now, will try tomorrow the suggestions.

also if the CPU is fried I think 22nm Ivy i5 will be best bang for buck for me, the OEM 3.4GHZ one.

Night all

Soldato
Obviously something is wrong...but hardware shouldn't self destruct these days from high temperatures. Throttling should occur and if things get really bad the PC should shut down.

Associate
If the pump worked when plugged into a molex connector it does sound like the aquero may not have supplied the start up voltage that the pump required. Although it would surprise me that a controller designed to power pumps wouldn't have a specific feature to provide the initial voltage to get it going.

Soldato
OP
eddyr you are correct usually and on every boot the aquaero provides 100% power to the pump at POST, then halfway to windows desktop it throttles it down.

So I am used to hearing a loud WHRRRR then whhhrrrr. I have a memory blackspot on that fateful boot, I can't for the life of me remember if it made the loud whirring or not.

Gurusan that's what I thought too. I trust CPUs much more to protect themselves than GPUs.

Last night I unplugged all peripherals except keyboard, still didn't power the KB on.

I'm going out now so can't troubleshoot but appreciate peoples continued input, this is my largest hardware catastrophe to date!

Soldato
also if the CPU is fried I think 22nm Ivy i5 will be best bang for buck for me, the OEM 3.4GHZ one.

A quad cpu will run at very high temps, far higher then most people realise near to three figures. If the heatsink was solidly fixed on then I would doubt you could do more then cause a crash.
If the problem was physically the heatsink was not seated properly then it can be terminal. GPU is different and I dont water cool but its the same problem of heat and the water just alters the cooling of the sink not the card directly?

Last night I unplugged all peripherals except keyboard, still didn't power the KB on
I dont think you can know till you transfer each part to a working machine and see if it operates when fitted in a stock like condition. Ive been through things like this and found it was a bad worn IDE cable which was unbelievably simple hence I tried/removed it last of all

Soldato
OP
My PC is buggered because the pump was not on causing GPU/CPU overheat with potential motherboard damage it looks like now.

Your idea of trying parts in another machine is valid but if only it were a worn out IDE cable!

Soldato
OP
PHEW!
Put in HD4350 from another PC leaving my 470s in the WC loop but not plugged in.

The CPU and MOBO are fine:D

Also worked out why the other PC would freeze after a few mins of use, cos the tiny HSF on the GPU was clogged with dust!

Have killed two birds.

Happy chap.

Crossing fingers for sub £300 3rd part cooler 770s when AMD launch on the 25th.

Permabanned
should have melted the lot so you could get a whole new top spec i7 system.

I joke, good to hear CPU and MOBO survived the heat wave.

Back
Top Bottom