• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's going to buy ?

Soldato
Its a bit of an invalid question as until we know performance and pricing how cany anyone really make a decision or say what they will do.

Dependant on the price and performance against the 7970 and GTX780 depends if i will buy the R9 whatever or the 7970 (not forking out 780 prices unless they drop)

Soldato
I would like an upgrade, but there still don't seem to be any concrete details on specs and pricing
This post by Gibbo got me seriously banging my head thinking if I should just order a Asus 7970 Matrix and be done with it:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24953981&postcount=44
"Were expecting 1000pc to arrive Friday/Monday but we've sold just shy of 100pc today, so expect them not to last long.

As the new 7970 equivalent product coming will be a similar price to this and not quite as good as a 7970 Matrix Platinum, so this is a good buy."

So basically we can read it as "if you are not planning on spending above £300 on the next gen AMD cards, you might as well grab a 7950/7970 now"?

I really really want to consider the Nvidia options as well (for PhysX), but their GTX670/GTX680/GTX770's 256-bit bus (much lower potential memory bandwidth) and less vram is a huge put off for me, particularly for the GTX770 which is now "overpriced" IMO.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I really really want to consider the Nvidia options as well (for PhysX), but their GTX670/GTX680/GTX770's 256-bit bus (much lower potential memory bandwidth) and less vram is a huge put off for me, particularly for the GTX770 which is now "overpriced" IMO.

It might be a little overpriced, but it's nowhere near the crazy price of a 780. My 770's can reach a 780 stock speed with a little oc.

Also the 256-bit bus and 2gb vram is fine if your gaming at 1080p. No need to go overboard unless you rez higher the 1080.

Soldato
Also the 256-bit bus and 2gb vram is fine if your gaming at 1080p. No need to go overboard unless you rez higher the 1080.
Well, the thing is 2GB is not exactly giving people peace of mind at the moment, and for memory bandwidth it's not really only a matter to do with resolution use, but it can directly reduce the amount of performance hit when using memory intensive options, such as AA and high texture etc. GTX770's memory clock overclocked to 8000MHz on the 256-bit bus would only reach 256Gb/s, whereas a 7950/7970 memory clock overclocked to 7080MHz on 384-bit bus would be hitting 340Gb/s. It's really only a matter of time before the the GTX770 need to have AA on x2 in order the match the performance of the 7970 with AA on x4 (for example, may be when BF4 comes out).

I think at least for myself, Nvidia's choice to removed 384-bit bus from the £200-£300 price range has really put me off...I honestly hope Nvidia would put the 384-bit bus back on the £200+ range for their next gen cards. 192-bit bus cards should have no business sitting at the £200+ price bracket.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well, 2GB is not exactly giving people peace of mind at the moment, and for memory bandwidth it's not really only a matter to do with resolution use, but it can directly reduce the amount of performance hit when using memory intensive options, such as AA and high texture etc. A 770 memory clock overclocked to 8000MHz on the 256-bit bus would only reach 256Gb/s, whereas a 7950/7970 memory clock overclocked to 7080MHz on 384-bit bus would be hitting 340Gb/s.

I've not had one performance hit ever. I doubt I will for some time to come.

Soldato
I've not had one performance hit ever. I doubt I will for some time to come.
That's not what I meant. You are already losing more frame rate (in %) going from 0xAA to 4xAA than you would had your 770 got higher memory bandwidth.

It's just my opinion you don't have to agree with it, but what I said about memory bandwidth and it's relation to reduce the amount of frame rate lost when using AA etc is true though. But I think you would at least agree if I say that Nvidia should really put 384-bit back in for sub £300 range, so long as it is no at the cost of price increase for the customers?

Last edited:
Permabanned
That's not what I meant. You are already losing more frame rate (in %) going from 0xAA to 4xAA than you would had your 770 got higher memory bandwidth.

It doesn't matter. It's just my opinion you don't have to agree with it, but what I said about memory bandwidth and it's relation to reduce the amount of frame rate lost when using AA etc is true though.

I've used AA on games and without and haven't noticed any drop with frames? Me thinks you haven't used any of the 7xx cards to even make that statement.

Soldato
I've used AA on games and without and haven't noticed any drop with frames? Me thinks you haven't used any of the 7xx cards to even make that statement.
I think you are may be taking what I said the wrong way.

Let me put it this way...forget about AMD for now, just try comparing the frame rate of your 770 between the memory clock at 1500MHz (192Gb/s) and the highest memory overclock you can get (at least 2100MHz- 268.8Gb/s if possible) on games with 4xAA, then you might see what I meant about the memory bandwidth's relation to reducing performance hit, rather than it being AMD vs Nvidia.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I think you are may be taking what I said the wrong way.

Let me put it this way...forget about AMD for now, just try comparing the frame rate of your 770 between the memory clock at 1500MHz (192Gb/s) and the highest memory overclock you can get (at least 2100MHz- 268.8Gb/s if possible) on games with 4xAA, then you might see what I meant about the memory bandwidth's relation to reducing performance hit, rather than it being AMD vs Nvidia.

I some what understand what your saying,but until I see it or feel any drop theirs no point to this? It's all numbers. If I feel that my card isn't preforming like it should then I'll worry. Like I said I have no issue's what so ever. My cards run like a dream. Once they stop doing that then I'll worry.

Caporegime
I think you made the right choice Retro. 256bit/2gb cards are well suited to 1080p. Unless you're going to be upgrading your monitor there seems little point in changing to an AMD card with similar performance.

Permabanned
The 780 is a rip off. Not worth tbh.

Hardly a rip off, you have to pay high for the best single GPU's on the market, bar titan, look in the heaven thread, 780's are nearly touching 1700 score, your comment above about a clocked 770 hitting 780 level is rubbish, whyscotty clocked the nuts of a 770 and it only scored 1100 or something, 780's get around 1200 stock.

Permabanned
Hardly a rip off, you have to pay high for the best single GPU's on the market, bar titan, look in the heaven thread, 780's are nearly touching 1700 score, your comment above about a clocked 770 hitting 780 level is rubbish, whyscotty clocked the nuts of a 770 and it only scored 1100 or something, 780's get around 1200 stock.

This is rubbish. Don't get your knickers in a twist because you paid loads for crap performance. 780 is a waste of money and most will agree.

Back
Top Bottom