Problems with garage

Associate
Hi there I am hoping to get some advice please.

Basically my partner bought a second hand Renault Scenic from a garage around two months ago.

Got it for a fair price and they told her it came with a three month warranty.

Took the car out for a test drive and it was knocking from the front which we told the garage who said they would have it looked at and sorted before she picked it up and it would also be serviced.

Few days later she was told car was ready to be collected and the knock had been sorted.

Since then it has been back to the garage 6 times and has had at least 9 different faults.

The knock they said they had sorted came back, had a louder knock we turning right, battery died, electric windows stopped working, heaters would not work and the most serious the electric steering packed in which is why it is currently in the garage now.

Drove to collect the car last night which is a good half hour away and was told the car was not ready and the car they were going to give her as a courtesy car was not ready either.

She explained she needed a car to drop the kids off at nursery and get to work the next morning which is today. They told her they had a drop off in the morning close to where we live and would ring this morning at 7am to arrange a car to be dropped off for her.

This did not happen and when she has tried to ring there was no answer surprise surprise.

What can she do now as she does like the car but does not want it back in the garage every week and the warranty runs out in a few weeks?

Basically to me they had sold her car which is not fit for purpose.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Run, run as fast as you can.

If you don't actually have this thing yet then tell them to keep it, refund your money and go buy a decent one. Honestly, it'll be less hassle in the end

Soldato
Ah, sorry I've mis-read your original post.

For now I guess you just need to be firm with them until you've got the car back. You then need to decide what you find an acceptable course of action and start dealing with them in writing, recorded letters etc so you have a complete log.

Associate
OP
Thank you rodenal.

It is a 2006 06 1.5 dci. Came with 1 years MOT, 6 months TAX, part service history, 58K miles and she paid £2200 for it.

The garage is just a small independant one not a main dealer.

Soldato
Well this is what happens when you buy a Renault. One of our guys has had the same issues with his.

My mum had a scenic and that too gradually fell apart until it was scrapped when the engine went bang. We also have a megane convertible sat on our drive at home unused because half the stuff fitted to it including the immobiliser is dead.

Soldato
Didn't realise they were that cheap.

Then again, compared to running a 10 year old Rover as I'm doing, it seems a nightmare! Best of luck, you're probably too late to simply 'reject' the vehicle however you can push for a remedy under the Sale of Goods Act - this is nothing to do with the warranty you were sold. Any claim under SOGA is directed to the garage themselves.

Repair, replace or refund are the options under SOGA, however the retailer can choose which. If you've had 6 repairs, I'd be looking for them to swap the car for something else.

Soldato
been back 6 times in 2 months?!?!?! I'd just leave it with them and demand your money back. maybe go down the Citizens advice bureau and get some official terms written down to help with with getting a refund as it's clearly not in any fit state.

that really sucks though :(

This wont help you now but in the future do your homework regarding what car you are looking to buy. A quick look on Google says that the Scenic is a particularly unreliable car coming almost last in every section in a Auto Express guide.

Here's what they said:

It's not the newest compact MPV around, yet Renault'’s old-shape Scenic is still a popular used buy. But if you were thinking of taking the plunge, think again. Only a top-notch rating in practicality has saved it from total embarrassment. You scored it down into last place for performance, handling and –– most worrying of all –– reliability. Reports of part failure are staggering. A massive 36 per cent had electrical trouble, 29 per cent experienced engine malfunction and a fifth had problems with the brakes.

Ratings

Position in the Top 100 cars
Reliability: 100th
Build Quality: 96th
Running Costs: 91st
Performance: 100th
Braking: 97th
Ride Quality: 89th
Handling: 100th
Practicality: 22nd
Comfort: 79th
Ease of Driving: 93rd

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault/scenic/14619/renault-scenic-old#ixzz2fQuC2qyE

In the future look for the best rated in it's class etc

Associate
OP
Thank you for all the replies.

The garage attempted to drop the car back off to my partner yesterday saying the fault was fixed.

As they were unloading it the steering fault came back so they have took it away again.

Think she is going to get it fixed by them and sell it private and look at buying something a bit more reliable.

Permabanned
This wont help you now but in the future do your homework regarding what car you are looking to buy. A quick look on Google says that the Scenic is a particularly unreliable car coming almost last in every section in a Auto Express guide.

Here's what they said:

It's not the newest compact MPV around, yet Renault'’s old-shape Scenic is still a popular used buy. But if you were thinking of taking the plunge, think again. Only a top-notch rating in practicality has saved it from total embarrassment. You scored it down into last place for performance, handling and –– most worrying of all –– reliability. Reports of part failure are staggering. A massive 36 per cent had electrical trouble, 29 per cent experienced engine malfunction and a fifth had problems with the brakes.

Ratings

Position in the Top 100 cars
Reliability: 100th
Build Quality: 96th
Running Costs: 91st
Performance: 100th
Braking: 97th
Ride Quality: 89th
Handling: 100th
Practicality: 22nd
Comfort: 79th
Ease of Driving: 93rd

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault/scenic/14619/renault-scenic-old#ixzz2fQuC2qyE

In the future look for the best rated in it's class etc

Wow, that car really is STAGGERINGLY bad.

Thank you for all the replies.

The garage attempted to drop the car back off to my partner yesterday saying the fault was fixed.

As they were unloading it the steering fault came back so they have took it away again.

Think she is going to get it fixed by them and sell it private and look at buying something a bit more reliable.

No Need your rights and teh state of this car I am fairly sure you wouldn't have difficulty getting your money back.
Why go through the hassle of selling this "bad egg" onto some other unknowing "sucker" ?

Back
Top Bottom