Raising the age of adulthood to 25?

Caporegime
"The idea that suddenly at 18 you're an adult just doesn't quite ring true," says child psychologist Laverne Antrobus, who works at London's Tavistock Clinic.

"My experience of young people is that they still need quite a considerable amount of support and help beyond that age."

Child psychologists are being given a new directive which is that the age range they work with is increasing from 0-18 to 0-25.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24173194

So from the news, at least partly it would seem that the barrier is raising medically, so should it be considered elsewhere?

The article also says that driving theory should be taught in school to a degree, which i find to be a good idea considering the sheer amount of accidents for new drivers.

My personal opinion is that since we live quite a bit longer than we did when 18 was considered "adult" quality, why only allow retirement to be long and largely pointless, when you can also increase the amount of time people may have with their childhood, which is constantly being attacked by external influence to grow up, when they really shouldn't.

Caporegime
What do you mean by raise the age of adulthood?

Taking away the right to vote, get married without consent, enter credit arrangements etc..etc.. at that age would be a bit regressive. Plenty of people have jobs, start companies, buy houses etc.. before 25...

Caporegime
OP
What do you mean by raise the age of adulthood?

Taking away the right to vote, get married without consent, enter credit arrangements etc..etc.. at that age would be a bit regressive. Plenty of people have jobs, start companies, buy houses etc.. before 25...

I meant more in society than i did law wise, though things like education should reflect it as well.

Its barely like people this age can do anything anyway, with the severe housing situation, which is a very large part of independence that people try far too hard to strive for, only because society demands it of them.

Soldato
I meant more in society than i did law wise, though things like education should reflect it as well.

Its barely like people this age can do anything anyway, with the severe housing situation, which is a very large part of independence that people try far too hard to strive for, only because society demands it of them.

The parts highlighted show up your education quite well........American teenage girls......like you know its like well good and stuff :p

Associate
Have you seen a city at night?

That's why.

The last time I was out in a city I was mostly avoiding groups of mid 30s guys and even older women who decided it would be appropriate to randomly walk up and stroke my hair. 18/21/25, whatever, some people will always behave like that.

Soldato
I agree with them on the point that kids/adults aren't necessarily mentally ready at 18 for all of the pressures of "real life" but then I'm over 25 and I'm still not ready! :p

I'm not sure if giving people a longer childhood would do much good, in a way some have it at the moment with the amount of under 25's unemployed (or NEET's as the media love to call them).

Last edited:

AJK

AJK

Associate
Have you seen a city at night?

That's why.

So your solution is to treat people under 25 as children, giving them less responsibility for their own behaviour and the consequences thereof. And you think this will improve the "city at night" culture.

It will not.

Soldato
I do think that this is partly because the governments don't allow schools to teach pupils about life in a comprehensive fashion, but that's a whole new thread.

Soldato
Absolute rubbish, 18 years old is an adult.

Kids today just don't want to grow up and their parents don't push them, when I was 18 I was doing fine by myself, not taking a penny from my parents and that's pretty much been the way ever since.
I went into education and it was my choice to do so, I didn't expect my parents to offer support like the entitled brats of today, I just got on with it and made it work, and it was character building, to know the feeling of not having a quid for a loaf of bread at times, was depressing, but ultimately, it made me learn how to manage my money and how to make ends meet against all odds. I'm better for it.

I've known guys in their 20's living with their folks not paying a cent toward the keep, not doing a bit of cleaning or washing, and even, in some cases, relying regularly on their parents for support.
"I can't afford to move out" usually translates into "I blow all my wages on designer clothes and gadgetry"

Child psychologists are all a bunch of idiots anyway, it's these same morons saying instilling a sense of discipline and routine is bad for development. Absolute hogswallop, it's that kind of mentality that is raising a bunch of entitled brats who don't understand actions have consequences.

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato
"My experience of young people is that they still need quite a considerable amount of support and help beyond that age."

Lol. So a child psychologist's experience of young people is that they need help? What exactly do children go to psychologists for, oh, that's right...help :p We live in the UK, not L.A., psycho therapy is not common for well adjusted people.

Biased opinion is biased.

Back
Top Bottom