Is it possible to get a shirt's cuff altered?

Associate
I want to go from cufflinks to buttons. Is it possible for a tailor/shirt alteration place to do this if I brought it to them?

Soldato
If the shirt has a folded cuff on the sleeve then yes. A good taylor can do wonders with pretty much anything. My Dad gave me a once worn Boss suit last month and whilst the fabric is lovely, the style is about 12 years old.

I had it totally refitted for me in a more modern cut for £80. It looks amazing now.

Associate
OP
They are a pain when you want to roll up your sleeves, and no one wears them in my work so I feel it is too much.

Tea Drinker
Don
Yes you could try a dry cleaners, I have had long sleeve shirts cut down to short sleeve shirts when the elbows have worn through.

People used to have shirts repaired by shortening the sleeves a few times and also reversing the collar when it wears out.

Associate
Yes you could try a dry cleaners, I have had long sleeve shirts cut down to short sleeve shirts when the elbows have worn through.

People used to have shirts repaired by shortening the sleeves a few times and also reversing the collar when it wears out.

lol

shirts arent expensive dude

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;25004489 said:
Yes but the repair will be visible. A tailor or alteration place will probably charge 20 quid.

However, unless you work in McDonalds there is no reason not to wear double cuffed shirts.

Not caring enough is pretty valid.

Unless I'm interacting with people outside my office, so called "important" people I pretty much don't bother with my appearance.

Soldato
Might be better finding one of those smaller independent tailors to do it though, rather than a Dry Cleaning shop, at least the chain ones anyways.

I took some stuff for repair to Johnsons and they send it all away to their repair centre, so you have to try and explain what you want done, which they then have to try and put in writing to attach to the garments. I think it took about a week and it was also pretty expensive.

I would think the small independent tailors will not only be cheaper, but will likely be able to fix/amend your stuff very quickly and they will be the person doing it, so easier to explain.

Back
Top Bottom