• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4930K Retail - Mini Review

Associate
Not wishing to sound pessimistic, but reading around, the 4930k and 4960x are poor clockers compared to SB-E. Simon I suspect your 4930k is way above average in terms of oc potential. Most folks are struggling to reach 4.5GHz and even that often takes 1.4v.

We know about the in advisability of running much higher than 1.35v 24/7 on 22nm cores so it ain't looking good for Ivy-E overclocking at present. Hopefully a few more owners will come along so we can get a spread of results. Looking for an excuse to buy but I'm afraid coming from a 5Ghz+ able 3930k, I fear I'd end up with worse performance.

Associate
Running an H100 for cooling and SLI780's like yourself on a Gigabyte X79-UD3. Bought some Corsair SP performance fans for the H100 as from a youtube review I'd seen they sounded quieter than the originals for a small performance deficit but they are making a right racket. Not sure though if this is because I upped the pump speed from low to med? Anyway temps similar to the 3820 it replaced - correction this was comparing my [email protected] vs my 4930k at stock boost of 3.9.

if this message was meant for simon, he dosent have a gigabyte board, he has an asus rampage m8, a lot of people are struggling to get over 4.3 ghz on the gigabyte ud3, myself included, i am thinking of upgrading my board for better clocks.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Not wishing to sound pessimistic, but reading around, the 4930k and 4960x are poor clockers compared to SB-E. Simon I suspect your 4930k is way above average in terms of oc potential. Most folks are struggling to reach 4.5GHz and even that often takes 1.4v.

That's what I am finding as well.
Simon has a cherry chip and what he is achieving is not representative of the majority.

Soldato
I switched from a 3930K to a 4930K and I couldn't be happier

my 3930k topped out at 4.5ghz before needing silly volts (4.4 if I wanted 2133 memory and PCIE3.0 turned on), so far I've got the 4930K at 4.6ghz at 1.308v, temps are currently around 65C full load

Gigabyte have a beta bios that apparently improves vdroop so once I get that loaded I'll be pushing on to 4.7 and onwards

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Andy
I have been avoiding GB boards for quite some time now because of the vdroop and throttling issues.
Are you seeing any throttling running P95 ? particulary on the small fft's

Soldato
Andy
I have been avoiding GB boards for quite some time now because of the vdroop and throttling issues.
Are you seeing any throttling running P95 ? particulary on the small fft's

No throttling, just the vdroop which is adjustable for, but less of it would be nice

Edit; on the latest bios now and LLC settings are working as they should, 0 droop on extreme setting and much less than previous on turbo and high settings

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom