• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Downsides to buying an ES Cpu

Man of Honour
OP
Happy with the cpu clock and temps so far. Will see if I can drop the volts a little though.

Only thing I'd like to push is the ram upto 2400mhz. Can't get it to post with the settings that 8 Pack gave me to try. I did try upping blck to 101.5 for 2233mhz with 1.7v so I've a feeling it's a wall with the Imc as psc should do 2400mhz 8-12-8 no problem.

Soldato
I'd be happy with what you've got mate to be honest. You're fortunate enough that the chip actually works and clock at all. I'd get it to a comfortable clock/voltages for 24/7 use and leave it at that. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Yea, looks like I'll stick with 4.5/4.6 and 2200mhz 9-12-9. Its more than quick enough as it is and any more increases are going to need big voltage bumps.

Even thought PSC ram is fine upto 1.9v on air it's silly volts for an extra 200mhz on the ram. So I'll just slowly see how low I can work the voltage over the next few days.

Anyone know if ES chips used TIM aswell or we're they soldered? Not that I'm really going to need to delid anyway.

Associate
The thing with an ES chip is that you don't know where in the development process the chip was made. Most Intel processors have several iterations of ES which are used to test and develop from. Most ES chips are produced just before launch and are used by review sites and big system builders... These should be very close or identical to the retail / oem.

With regards TIM... its hard to say, They may have tried TIM and solder in different ES chips, It is probable that it is TIM, but if you try and remove the IHS and it's soldered, you will break the silicon just by trying... I would therefore recommend that you do not try. Having said that, you should be able to tell based on temps, if it seems hot then it's almost certainly TIM.

I have had plenty of ES chips in my time and they have all worked well. I normally only bother if its a way of getting something that is not available retail. They are not really cheap to buy when you can find them.

Man of Honour
OP
The chip is a retail stepping code.

I'm seeing around 80-86c across the cores while running cinebench R15, this is with a titan Fenrir, around 1.32v shown in cpuz @ 4.6ghz.

This however was cheap. I paid £150 for a brand new unused board and the cpu.

Associate
The chip is a retail stepping code.

I'm seeing around 80-86c across the cores while running cinebench R15, this is with a titan Fenrir, around 1.32v shown in cpuz @ 4.6ghz.

This however was cheap. I paid £150 for a brand new unused board and the cpu.

Ah... Yes that is cheap :) I thought you paid £150 for the CPU only when I scanned the thread originally. Result.

Man of Honour
OP
I wouldn't have bothered for £150 if it was just the cpu, there's a few on the Mm for less than that.

It actually cost me less than I originally paid for my old board and processor. The upgrade will effectively cost me £100 or so after I've sold the old kit off.

Back
Top Bottom