Sony Playstation Demo 1 Appreciation Thread

Soldato
Who remembers the old demo disc that came with the original Playstation? :D

I had a moment of nostalgia today when having a clear out only to find some really old disc's I had buried deep in a drawer. I came across the original Demo 1 disc that came with the Playstation 1 many years ago.

I thought I'd make a mini appreciation thread for these great little disc's that brought back so many memories when I fired them up.

I managed to find:

* Demo 1 (One) for the Playstation 1 - PAL version SCED-00456
* Demo Disc for Playstation 2 - PAL version PBPX-95205
* Bonus Demo Disc Jan 2001 for Playstation 2 - PAL version SCED-50133

I do recall that I didnt buy the original Playstation at launch, I was too young so it was a Christmas present for me and I dont remember the year so Im not sure if this was the first Demo 1 or an updated version. The same goes for the Playstation 2, I cant for the life of me remember when I got the console but I do remember spending all my money to buy it and didnt have any left over to buy any games so I played the demo disc to death until I got some money lol.

Below you will find some images I took of the demo discs, the main thing that brought so many memories back of playing these when I got my shiny new console was the music. I remembered the music and intro videos like it was yesterday plus the Dino Tech demo on the Playstation 1! A massive T-Rex walking on the screen with a black background and creepy music, wow, I remember watching that and thinking this is awesome, these graphics are so realistic! The way you could open his mouth, grin and turn his head was epic for its time, who'd of thought back then how graphics would advance to today's standard.

From memory, the demo discs had the following games:

PS1 Demo 1

Crash Bandicoot
Destruction Derby 2
Wipeout 2097
Monster Trucks
F1
Tekken 2
Ridge Racer Revolution
Power Soccer
Toshinden 2
Die Hard
Descent
Actua Golf

PS2 Demo Disc

FIFA 2001
SSX Snowboarding
Wild Wild Racing

Anyway, heres some images I took:

PS1:

PSXDemo1_zpscfbf9721.jpg

PSXDemo1b_zps160eba64.jpg

PSXDemo1c_zpsa077abac.jpg

PSXDemo1d_zpsdf7eca34.jpg

PSXDemo1dinotechb_zps6a1a5e61.jpg

PSXDemo1dinotech_zps7964e254.jpg

PSXDemo1e_zps755220b2.jpg

PSXDemo1f_zps4249f9ec.jpg

PS2:

ps2demo2_zps26f7d989.jpg

ps2demo1_zpsc24e4fb1.jpg

ps2demo1c_zps018d088e.jpg

ps2demo1b_zps895f1069.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I just nostalgia'd so hard.

I lived on demo discs when i was a kid, we didn't have much money so i only really got games on my birthday and christmas, luckily a cousin used to get the official playststion magazines and gave us like 100 demo discs :p

I used to play them over and over again and they somehow kept me amused.

Soldato
Yeah, I remember the feeling, standing in an Electronics Boutique clutching two games, trying to decide which I'd prefer, knowing it'd be the only new game I'd have for months :p Had a great sharing network at school, so it wasn't so bad. Today, I own 50 odd games I've never installed :/

jpm

jpm

Associate
I just nostalgia'd so hard.

I lived on demo discs when i was a kid, we didn't have much money so i only really got games on my birthday and christmas, luckily a cousin used to get the official playststion magazines and gave us like 100 demo discs :p

I used to play them over and over again and they somehow kept me amused.

Same here with only having games for Birthdays and Christmas.

I always used to save my pocket money up to buy the mags :) and like you even though I played them to death they still kept me entertained.

Soldato
I thought it was Teken 1? I was amazed by that intro. I also loved Die hard, even though I knew that none of the 3 games were that special. I couldn't get my head round the airport level that was fully scrolling.

Associate
Lot's of awesome memories, including playing the hell out of these demo's. I remember playing SSX and thinking wow, the snow tracks look so beautiful!

I remember buying a PS1 magazine just for the GTA demo too. They gave you five whole minutes of gameplay! So many good memories :).

Associate
God knows how many times I played the F1 demo on that first demo disc, it was so far ahead of anything I'd played before it and it had real music which on its own seemed amazing at the time.

Die Hard trilogy was pretty great as well, went out and bought that and Tekken as soon as the shops opened after Christmas. Was a really good marketing tool, I kind of miss the days when you'd run out and get a magazine to play the latest demos.

Man of Honour
I remember PS1 Demo (I thought it was Demo 1 but not what you've listed there...) and PS2 Demo 1 lots.

Lifeforce Tenka
Rapid Racer
Porsche Challenge?
T-Rex
Manta Ray

So much awesomeness.

Back
Top Bottom