Dom's Travelling thread!

Soldato
OP
Do you really need a laptop? Internet cafe's are found throughout the countries, usually with card readers etc for you to do your bits.

I would only want to take a laptop for Lightroom photo editing.

I don't fancy coming back to the UK with 6 months worth of photos to edit :).

So Passport is sorted, just need to wait 5-6 weeks....as it gets Printed in Berlin. Then when I get an E-mail, I need to send my current passport away and wait for the London Embassy to send my new one.

Also created a Spec me a laptop thread.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24314460#post24314460 feel free to SPEC away :p

Last edited:
Associate
I traveled from Thailand to Laos in the cheapest way possible, I went from Chiang Mai but there may be a closer destination depending on your route around Thailand, as I went to Laos to return to the south islands of Thailand. But needless to say as it was cheap, it took a long time, something like 23 hours, swapping from an air conditioned minibus to an OLD bus, with no toilet, which broke down in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere..but all part of the all part of the adventure right? Thailand can be done very easily without flying from place to place, getting a train or a boat for around £10-£20. New Zealand will be expensive but Asia will be cheap and your money should go far.

Soldato
Good times, that is what I like to hear :) which "tour" did you take? I have booked the Funky Chicken but upgrading to a "The Whole Kit & Caboodle" for an extra $314.00

Honestly don't remember, but I did the bay of islands, and a huge loop of the north island, then all the stops down to queenstown. Finished my tour there to party for the week and a half and skipped kaikora/christchurch and flew straight from qtown > auckland so I could get to bangkok!

Soldato
I traveled from Thailand to Laos in the cheapest way possible, I went from Chiang Mai but there may be a closer destination depending on your route around Thailand, as I went to Laos to return to the south islands of Thailand. But needless to say as it was cheap, it took a long time, something like 23 hours, swapping from an air conditioned minibus to an OLD bus, with no toilet, which broke down in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere..but all part of the all part of the adventure right? Thailand can be done very easily without flying from place to place, getting a train or a boat for around £10-£20. New Zealand will be expensive but Asia will be cheap and your money should go far.

Amen to that, the dirty, dinjy and almost worrying journeys around SEA are what makes it all part of the experience :p

New Zealand - Expect to pay the same going rates for things as in the UK. It's Australia where you'll spend some serious dosh.

I got through 4k GBP in 9 weeks in OZ, and 3k in 4 weeks in NZ, BUT that was completely smashing it!

Only spent 2k or so in SEA over the 7 weeks I was there (although some may deem that as a lot cause you certainly can do it on the cheap!), again that was completely smashing it some more and drinking most, if not every evening with friends made.

Damn, reading the above makes you realise how much money I spent, but there is not a single regret, you'll have the time of your life!

Associate
Sounds good! There's something about Traveling that makes you suddenly change and not care about certain things! That 23 hour bus journey was disgusting, but at the time we laughed about it, here in England I probably would not find it so funny! A lot of people in NZ do the Kiwi Tours, as a cheaper alternative to see and explore NZ. 4K seems a lot but then it's all part of the experience, with priceless memories!

Associate
I'm thinking of doing SE Asia in a few months time. I'm looking to visit a few places in Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Kuala Lumpur and possibly Tokyo if I can stretch the budget that far.

Found some cheap(ish) return flights with Lufthansa on the A380 from Manchester>Singapore. Is that a good starting point for the trip? How long would you seasoned travellers recommend spending on the entire trip? I thought 6-7 weeks maybe but didn't know if that'd be too short.

Associate
Very jealous. 10 years ago me and the missus did the same and went off to south america for 6 months (with a little time in NZ as well).

Now have house, kids etc. May do it again when we pack them off to uni!

Soldato
OP
I go in 6 weeks sorry for the reply....and yes I am to lazy to spend 4 minutes filling out an online form haha :)

I leave work in 3 weeks today.....first time I will be unemployed since i was 18.

Soldato
OP
Leaving Tomorrow at 3am :). Nearly packed, ready to go :)

Flying Bristol to Amsterdam
5 hour wait
Amsterdam to Taipei (overnight stay as the moved one flight back)
Taipei to Auckland (will arrive on the 17th there)

Soldato
OP
Flight 1 done, I am in Amsterdam, but no time for a special coffee :(. Well i got time but I don't want to get tired and lazy and miss my flight. I have slept about 5 hours since friday.....god knows how i am still awake.

Soldato
OP
After 29 hours in Transit I made it to Taipei.

As China-air moved my flight from Taipei to Auckland back by 24 hours, I got a free 2 bedroom Room in the Novotel and 3 x Free food (2 x dinner 1 x lunch).

Took a Taxi ride to Taipei City and went up the 101 Tower. Stunning view at night, 2 bad that all the pictures show the reflection from the dirty window :(.

I didn't get much time to do anything other than that, Its about 21:20 and i am trying to stay up to fight the jet lag ( and the sleep deprivation I had since going out for 1 to many on Friday) :p

I will upload some photos later...... :)

Back
Top Bottom