Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Looks like the psu on my n36l has given up and keeps tripping the leccy so might as well upgrade as I doubt I can pick up a psu for it as cheap as getting a new machine. Anyone know if any of those £85 after cash back deals are on at the moment.

Soldato
Is the microserver G8 available anywhere? Can't seem to find it!

I just checked the site I bought my N54L from and they still have them it seems... Can't say where, but a lot of people got their servers from them I think, so look on the plus side - google is your friend

What do people think about the Toshiba drives in this week's deals? This one in particular:

YOUR BASKET
1 x Toshiba 2TB 5700RPM SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache - OEM (DT01ABA200) HDD £61.99
Total : £70.69 (includes shipping : £7.25).

I was planning to go with WD Reds but this is pretty tempting honestly...

Soldato
How long did it take you all to get notice of the rebate? Some people mentioned an email confirming the rebate had been received?

I sent mine about 3 weeks ago and have not heard a peep....

Soldato
How long did it take you all to get notice of the rebate? Some people mentioned an email confirming the rebate had been received?

Got mine the other day, within a week. My previous was pretty fast too.

Give them a call, or send it again (recorded?) whats a £ or so for 100.

Soldato
Can I check we're just talking about receiving the confirmation that you'd sent the claim form (i.e. not the actual £100 cheque itself)? I got a confirmation right away (emailed them a scan of the claim form) but I don't think the 45 days are up for another couple of weeks yet

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Was less than a week for me.

Associate
Can I check we're just talking about receiving the confirmation that you'd sent the claim form (i.e. not the actual £100 cheque itself)? I got a confirmation right away (emailed them a scan of the claim form) but I don't think the 45 days are up for another couple of weeks yet

Yes, i am yet to receive the cheque ;)

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Yes, just the confirmation email. The cheque takes ages.

Soldato
Yeah was in my spam folder :)

To those running ESXi I have some questions:

1.) How is video performance when running Windows Home Server and watching 1080p movies? Did you notice a difference being on ESXi?

2.) Anyone running another flavour OS for XBMC?

Soldato
xblinim if you're still out there - Did you manage to install your 40mm fan in the end?

Also I'm thinking about buying more RAM, but I can't decide what would be better out of the cheapest 8Gb (2x4Gb) I can get... Or buy a single 8Gb DIMM and stick it alongside the one which came with the server to have 10Gb overall (I don't normally mix RAM like this, but I'm sure a while back someone suggested that they had done with no ill effects)... This would also give me the option of getting a second 8Gb stick down the line to go up to 16Gb... Thoughts?

Associate
I've done the 120mm/40mm fan mod. Noticeably quieter which makes me happy as it's sat behind the TV.

I've upgraded to 4gb and everything works hunky-dory under Server 2012. Not really taxed all the hard, but I did have it running an Ubuntu VM as well with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom