• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Deliding 3570k

Man of Honour
I'm ready to delid tonight this but just have a few questions.

Do i need to reattach the lid with thermal adhesive or can I leave loose.

If I do any recommendations? I'll have to buy some if i do.

MX4 or AS5 ok for the die?

edit - MX 4 is a discontinued product :p

Caporegime
Use Mx5 not as5 is it contains silver which is conductive

Once delidded put paste ontop of the die,place on the metal cap you've cut off and clamp it down into the mb with the CPU retention clamp,then apply thermal paste ontop and place CPU heatsink/cooler

You'll get better results if you carefully scrape off all the black adhesive thats used to glue the CPU cap on

Man of Honour
OP

Once delidded put paste ontop of the die,place on the metal cap you've cut off and clamp it down into the mb with the CPU retention clamp,then apply thermal paste ontop and place CPU heatsink/cooler

You'll get better results if you carefully scrape off all the black adhesive thats used to glue the CPU cap on

I have the bit-tech guide to hand :)

Do i need to adhere the IHS or leave it tot he retainer to hold in place?

All I can say is good luck Mr Huddy :)

Stelly

I'm feeling adventurous.. but now you un-nerved me :p

Soldato

why should as5 matter being conductive, most like myself use liquid metal??? which also gives the best results.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-005-CL&groupid=701&catid=27

when i put my chip back in with the loose IHS i lay my PC on its side, in otherwords get the mobo flat, then place a finger on the IHS whilst clamping it down to steady it as it can slip about.

Last edited:
Soldato
Let us know how you got on, as far as i know, you are perfectly able to run with a delidded CPU without having to reattach the IHS can anyone confirm this?

Man of Honour
Let us know how you got on, as far as i know, you are perfectly able to run with a delidded CPU without having to reattach the IHS can anyone confirm this?

It can be done. Its not for the feint hearted though, too much clamping pressure from the cooler and you have a crushed cpu die and you're shelling out for a new cpu.

I'd delid mine but theres a chance mine may not use TIM so attempting could leave me with an expensive keyring

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Use Liquid Metal or dont bother doing it.

The big temp drops come when you have correctly applied LM and carefully placed the lid back on and clamped down.
NO NEED FOR GLUE, it would be a PITA anyway if you wanted to reapply TIM.

Ordinary paste will work short term only.
It will quickly be forced out from between the core and IHS.
Some sort of capillary action due to pressure and heat.

LM is the most effective in terms of temp drops and is permanent.
Use MX4 or similar and you will be constantly re applying it.

Top of the IHS isn't important any decent paste will do.

Warning LM is very slippery the lid will slide about like an ice dancer on greased skates till you clamp down.
Keep the IHS square in the socket and let the clamps fix it firmly in place.

Running bare die is risky unless you use one of the bare die kits.
I have done it but heatsink clamping pressure is critical and often some of the pads dont make proper contact resulting in no post.

Last edited:
Caporegime
why should as5 matter being conductive, most like myself use liquid metal??? which also gives the best results.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-005-CL&groupid=701&catid=27

when i put my chip back in with the loose IHS i lay my PC on its side, in otherwords get the mobo flat, then place a finger on the IHS whilst clamping it down to steady it as it can slip about.

true im using liquid pro myself,just take care not to get anywhere else other than on the die

and pcz is right I saw no improvement with mx4 only with liquid metal but it depends on how badly the paste was applied at intel

but for arguments sake out of mx5 and as5 id pick the non conductive paste

Last edited:
Soldato
Use Liquid Metal or dont bother doing it.

This also echoes my experience, when I did it the first time on my 3770k I saw "okish" results, with AS5, did it a second time with MX4 - no difference, switched to liquid metal and I lost 15 degrees, full load temps @ 5Ghz on water are now no more than 75c, (they were over 100c @ 4.5Ghz before I delidded)

Back
Top Bottom