• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Delidding a 4770k

Soldato
Hey y'all

Has anyone actually tried the hairdryer/vice method of delidding? I have watched about 20 different vids on YT now showing three methods;

1. Razor blade
2. Vice, wood and gentle knocking
3. Hairdryer and what seems to be a simple removal

Can someone provide feedback for me on whether they have tried 103 above?

Thanks

Man of Honour
From the videos i have seen the hairdryer method looks less risky. On my 4670k i couldn't do the razor blade method even if i wanted to as there is no gap at all between the IHS and PCB. There were a couple of 4770k's that developed shattered cores after using the hammer and vice method over at XS forums. Whether it was just a coincidence or stressing the pcb when being hit by a hammer i don't know.

Associate
Not tried the hairdryer/vice method but have used the razor blade on 3570k and 3770k successfully. Just takes time and patients tbh.

At the beginning its hard to get the razor between the PCB and IHS but you soon get it under there and then it becomes easier.

Associate
Never seen that hair dryer method before, but If i had a 4770k id probably go for that considering using vice and hammer is more risky due to the tracers on the cpu die.

RHS

RHS

Associate
Heating up the cpu and softening the compound looks like a good plan and should be fairly easy to do. Dunno thou if I would be brave enough to de-lid my cpu!

Associate
Only problem is you see one mention of the hairdryer method and if you watch closely he really torques up the vice on the IHS after heating it up. To me that says the IHS will be distorted and probably not useable.

Soldato
Someone should test for a chemical that slowly dissolves the black glue holding the IHS on...but doesn't affect the rest of the cpu; just apply and let it work for a few weeks while you use pc.

Associate
I have done 4 CPU's now and I always heat up the CPU and then use a razor as I feel I have more control over what's happening. I normally stick the CPU in the oven at 80c and then start from there... a hairdryer to warm would be just as good though.

Associate
For the people who have done this successfully. How much does the idle/load temps drop by?

From what I have read it can be anywhere from 20c to 35c depending how well the factory lidding has been done.. and how carefully you wipe away that black stuff + apply your own paste.

Associate
I thought you were joking when you said the 'hammer and vice' method, then I watched the youtube vid and almost had a heart attack. Hitting a 270£ CPU with a hammer !!!
Then I watched the guide one guy made, vid took 20 minutes and some was on speed x10, when he was cleaning cpu from old paste/glue, so something about 25 minutes total. He used the razor blade technique and to be honest it seems to be least invasive.
There are always some dangers.
Anyone tried joining the hairdryer method with razor?
Heat up the CPU and then work it with razor?

Back
Top Bottom