*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Soldato
New PAC-ROM out that the dev believes addresses boot loops. Question for you guys - when I flash a ROM, does it also update my kernel? Or do I select a kernel separately and update it? Can't find much info so I'm guessing it's a basic question, but it's beyond me! Cheers.

Associate
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

:D

Sense V5 looks like it will be coming to the one S very soon:

https://twitter.com/LlabTooFeR/status/378795664001351680

Just checked up on his Twitter feed - looks like they've stopped development... Time to root!

EDIT: Seen here

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yup seen that!

Annoyed about it so waiting to see what the nexus 5 will be like.......

Fed up with all these ****** android OEMs and updates, pains me to say it but HTC are damn good atm, got the one x, xl, x+, buttefly, DNA etc. updated to 4.2.2/sense V5 over the last 4 months and the htc one has got 4.3 and probably getting sense V5.5 in the next few months where as every other phone still isn't on 4.2.2 or/and the new skin :o :mad:

Just a shame they didn't update the one s as well :(

Lets hope kit kat will have this awful problem fixed otherwise I am not touching another OEM android phone!

edit:

Still loving the one s though!

- Still as speedy and smooth as anything, find it more consistently smooth and snappy than the gs 4 throughout
- camera is great overall even against the current flagship devices; captures movement shots in decent lighting conditions very well i.e. no blur (fails at low light though), superb macro shots, good video quality overall (only downside is that it isn't as smooth as the likes of the galaxy devices and htc one etc.) with great audio recording
- design is still one of the best imo, not to mention it feels lovely in the hand for perceived quality + comfort
- still getting epic battery life, 2 days with medium to heavy use

Only problem is that the MAO layer has come of very badly on the right side of my phone :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Also thinking of moving to nexus 5 early next year. Really annoyed with how quickly HTC have stopped providing updates to previous high end models like this. Won't be getting another handset from them, even though the physical product is actually extremely good.

Associate
Completely agreed. Lovely hardware, terrible support. I'd rather the OEMs focused on getting out much fewer devices with better user experience, support and longetivity; the specification arms race is a bit daft now that anything you're likely to do on a phone is covered.

For ROMs, I have no idea whether to go Sense based or not... I didn't like running Nova on the stock ROM as it occasionally brought up problems with the Sense launcher being drawn first before switching etc. Do the Sense based ROMs always have the Sense launcher included or just the apps/base code and their launcher of choice as stock?

Associate
Actually I'm having a tough time with Windows 8.1/adb/fastboot. Should've done this a few weeks ago!

EDIT: Ive even downloaded Ubuntu in the smallest hope that I can do it on Linux. Can't find anything yet...

Associate
Managed to unlock the bootloader, flash a new recovery and root it in live USB Linux. Unfortunately, it seems 8.1 is very flakey with any of the drivers in fastboot and just flat out refused on mine.

Don't think I'll chance S-Off but it does mean that I can't try Maximus, which is the one I was actually looking at using!

Associate
Maybe, although I was more interested in MaximusHD because of the official sources it was based on. I've actually gone with vanilla CM10.1.3 so I guess that means I'm also an AOSP convert ;) It's nice enough that I'm not going to be fiddling with it too much, which was my main concern!

Soldato
i've just stuck pacman back on, and it's a bit laggy etc, so tempted to go to something else.

tried to stick cm10.2.x on, but had a constant 'android.com' or something has stopped responding, couldn't get rid so jumped on pacman.

best rom i've used so far was odyssey, but that's not being developed anymore :(

Soldato
Getting few apps crash to desktop on the current stable Pac rom I'm on. Any suggestions for alternatives? I'm all for battery life and performance, but stability is paramount for me. I sometimes have to cycle the data on and off to get it to access too.

Soldato
yeah i've just jumped off of pac to PA (since the hybrid options are the most important for me atm).

i found the most stable to be odyssey, which sadly stopped development a few weeks ago but the latest release of that is absolutely fantastic. very very stable, good battery, and lots of features. definitely have a look :)

Back
Top Bottom