• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Preparing Tahiti XTL Revision of Radeon R9 280X Graphic Card For November Release

Soldato
http://wccftech.com/amd-preparing-tahiti-xtl-revision-radeon-r9-280x-graphic-card/

AMD is planning to do a running-change with the Radeon R9 280X and offer the Tahiti XTL variant without anyone knowing that the chip has actually been released. The Tahiti XTL chip is supposedly going to end up in various Radeon R9 280X graphic cards in November. No new naming or branding scheme would be introduced by manufacture’s or AMD to differentiate between the Tahiti XTL and Tahiti XT2 based Radeon R9 280X graphic cards which will end up causing slight bit of confusion among the consumer market.

The new Tahiti XTL chip would bring lower power consumption, possibly new features such as AMD TrueAudio and full DirectX 11.2 support and even higher clocks.

Interesting, a 7970 with TrueAudio and DX11.2 and even more in the tank for OCing?

Soldato
OP
Thinking about it, I doubt they would introduce new features such as TrueAudio and not differentiate between SKUs somehow. If they slipstream this Tahiti XTL chip into the 280X product line you might get better clocks but they wouldn't be able to advertise features that earlier 280Xs didn't have. I imagine we'll see something like a "280XTL" or "280XT" name for it.

Caporegime
Not surprising in reality. Selling 280x as it is now because they had left over Tahiti cores, but a 438mm2 core would appear to have a lot of room for salvaged parts due to larger cores having naturally lower yields and more parts incapable of being fully utilised.

Bit daft to not differentiate it, and as you say I can't see them really doing that.

Associate
Man Im not sure I really like this thread... Have been holding out for a Sapphire Toxic 280x but the problems they have had coming in, i've almost broken to temptation and got the MSI Gaming edition... now this thread is good news but I can see myself holding off now until November to see what this brings about!

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Just had a conversation with one of AMD's board partners in China, this is the conversation:-

[08:37:20] CHINA: yes, new shipment from AMD will be XTL instead of XT2
[08:40:39] GIBBO: what is the exact difference please?
[08:41:34] CHINA -: well, i do not know know exactly what is the difference
[08:43:12] GIBBO: Please try to find out m8
[08:43:23] CHINA -: ok ok
[10:11:03] CHINA -: Mate, just checked. There is no difference on the specification between XT2 and XTL. The only difference maybe that the overclockability of XT2 is better than XTL.
[10:14:27] GIBBO: why is that m8?
[10:14:30] GIBBO: different power design?
[10:14:53] GIBBO: Will XTL feature the new HD sound found on R260X and R290's ?
[10:15:21] CHINA: no, XTL does not support True Audio
[10:15:55] GIBBO: Why do you think it won't clock as well?
[10:16:35] CHINA: well, i got this from my product development people
[10:17:12] CHINA: maybe related to the screening
[10:17:37] GIBBO: so in short current version is better for OC then
[10:17:48] CHINA: you are correct

Seems that current R280X are using the full blown HD 7970 GHz chip and the new XTL version will be a lower cost design which gives the same performance out the box, but won't have the OC headroom of the current chip.

Soldato
Hi there

Just had a conversation with one of AMD's board partners in China, this is the conversation:-

[08:37:20] CHINA: yes, new shipment from AMD will be XTL instead of XT2
[08:40:39] GIBBO: what is the exact difference please?
[08:41:34] CHINA -: well, i do not know know exactly what is the difference
[08:43:12] GIBBO: Please try to find out m8
[08:43:23] CHINA -: ok ok
[10:11:03] CHINA -: Mate, just checked. There is no difference on the specification between XT2 and XTL. The only difference maybe that the overclockability of XT2 is better than XTL.
[10:14:27] GIBBO: why is that m8?
[10:14:30] GIBBO: different power design?
[10:14:53] GIBBO: Will XTL feature the new HD sound found on R260X and R290's ?
[10:15:21] CHINA: no, XTL does not support True Audio
[10:15:55] GIBBO: Why do you think it won't clock as well?
[10:16:35] CHINA: well, i got this from my product development people
[10:17:12] CHINA: maybe related to the screening
[10:17:37] GIBBO: so in short current version is better for OC then
[10:17:48] CHINA: you are correct

Seems that current R280X are using the full blown HD 7970 GHz chip and the new XTL version will be a lower cost design which gives the same performance out the box, but won't have the OC headroom of the current chip.

So these could come in cheaper or it will be the case of paying the same for less overclockability?

OcUK Staff
^^^^ that's why your the best.

I sure that info will now convince a lot of users to get this current 280x.

This is from one board partner, they are normally very honest and truthful.

Stilll lets wait until we here more before we come to a definite conclusion, but to me it would make sense for AMD to use a part which cost them slightly less to improve their profits.

Soldato
This is from one board partner, they are normally very honest and truthful.

Stilll lets wait until we here more before we come to a definite conclusion, but to me it would make sense for AMD to use a part which cost them slightly less to improve their profits.

What partner?

I am getting hacked off with this messing about from AMD. First up cards are late, then later chips won't be as good as old ones?

WOW.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom