California Road Trip with a Child. (56K NO NO)

Don
OP
Americans get such an unfair rep really, strangers are so nice to us out there, always smiling, polite and say hello, they loved Sophia. So many would come up and ask if we wanted a picture taking of us all with out camera. It can get a bit much in restaurants and shops when sometimes you want to be left alone but I come back to England and everyone looks grumpy, no one speaks, it really is a different world out there.

Nice edit btw, I was just about to say the 56k thing really was wasted with a load of computer geeks eh ;)

Associate
I changed the 56k cos someone beat me to it early in the thread, missed it on first read.

I love California I've been on my own there 4 times now, but my OH of several years for some reason just can't stand them Americans, I took her to Las Vegas once and she said that is the last time she ever sets foot on American soil.

Just going through your photos again brings backs so many memories, I had the chance to go into Yosemite, travel through the Tioga pass then around the back of Yosemite down the Sierra Nevada down to Death Valley onto Las Vegas.

I suppose I could always do a road trip on my own again, I'd like to visit the Pacific North West next time.

Caporegime
That's generally why I'm defensive about America(ns) on these forums. News paints the worst picture possible of every place you can go, here included. Though young for two main trips I went for a long weekend to New York(supposedly the least friendly place there pretty much) at 24 as well. Almost everyone everywhere was nice on all three trips, it's as simple as that. New York was less friendly but that was more due to how busy a place it was than people being mean.

Cali in particular, it's depressing to come back from, the people actually being friendly and appearing happy, the general feel of the state, being able to drive from some of the most impressive national parks to fantastic beaches in a few hours with some brilliant towns and Cities in between, the weather.

When something went wrong over there, either wrong food or, the car broke down, they fell over themselves to help out. It's hard to be in a bad mood with that much damn sunshine though :p

Don
OP
Hmm, it was fine during the day in everywhere except San Francisco for wearing t-shirt, but after say 5pm it got cold. San Francisco it was cold and windy throughout the day. You won't need a coat, it's not like England but I'd pack hoodies, jumpers etc. It's winter remember!

OcUK Staff
Hmm, it was fine during the day in everywhere except San Francisco for wearing t-shirt, but after say 5pm it got cold. San Francisco it was cold and windy throughout the day. You won't need a coat, it's not like England but I'd pack hoodies, jumpers etc. It's winter remember!

Awesome thank you, will just take casual wear then like you say, tshirts, hoodies, shorts and jeans. :D

Soldato
MrsYoustolemyname and I did this trip in 2010 but went to Vegas as well. It's such a fantastic road trip; there are so many good places on the route to spend time in. Monterey was lovely, we stayed in the Intercontinental there. It's one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in for service and location.

The pics brought back many happy memories, thanks for posting!

Soldato
Well, I'm just weak at the sight of a gun. I'm sure many others are aswell.

its not the actual gun though, more the person holding it, I start thinking "who are they, what's their state of mind?.. are the responsable"

Hmm

Seriously? I spent 2 months in America and saw zero guns (aside from police officers). You know people have guns in this country too?

Man of Honour
Awesome thank you, will just take casual wear then like you say, tshirts, hoodies, shorts and jeans. :D

At this time of year it's not really going to be THAT warm - even in September as he says San Fran was pleasant rather than warm. Inland it gets warmer.

Seriously? I spent 2 months in America and saw zero guns (aside from police officers). You know people have guns in this country too?

Despite my many visits I have never once seen anyone with a gun who wasn't a law enforcement officer. And I can count on one hand the number of unfriendly ****'s I met. There is so much stereotype about the US and much of it simply isn't true.

Generally it is a fantastic country full of really great people.

Back
Top Bottom