overclocking a msi gtx 780 lightning

Associate
hey guys just need to know some stuff switching from the normal bios mode on this card, i will be really cautious to see how much i can push because of maybe frying something. i dont know if this is the major point to show but my PSU will be a SEASONIC G 750w and my motherboard will be a MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Series Intel Z87, if something bad was to happen with me pushing voltage when overclocking my card what will happen, could it fry my motherboard or just blow my PSU ?

and i am so new to overclocking anything so can anyone tell me after gradually maybe pushing voltage by like +1 for example in LN2 mode on the card if artifacts will damage my card at all when using any running benchmark programs, and if the voltage is getting too much on the card will i see anything on a benchmark program apart from artifacts?

also would it harm my fan eventually if i run fans at 100%? and would i ever need to run fans at 100% or higher then the "auto" button.

guys i know it sucks talking to a "noobie" but i would appreciate anyone's help i will soak this up like a sponge since i just bought this card and it would be a waste of money to not try myself to overclock

Last edited:
Associate
Do not enable LN2 mode unless you are actually using LN2 cooling. It simply allows the card to function at sub zero temperatures. Leave it on the normal BIOS. You won't get any better overclocks as heat becomes a limit before voltage since I'm assuming you're using the standard cooler.

Your power supply is good, and with the limits in MSI afterburner you will not damage your motherboard or card anyway. The only thing that can cause issues with poor power supplies is if you raise the power limit, as potentially this overspecs the power connectors to the card. You won't have a problem with a Seasonic unit however

Associate
OP
Do not enable LN2 mode unless you are actually using LN2 cooling. It simply allows the card to function at sub zero temperatures. Leave it on the normal BIOS. You won't get any better overclocks as heat becomes a limit before voltage since I'm assuming you're using the standard cooler.

Your power supply is good, and with the limits in MSI afterburner you will not damage your motherboard or card anyway. The only thing that can cause issues with poor power supplies is if you raise the power limit, as potentially this overspecs the power connectors to the card. You won't have a problem with a Seasonic unit however

ok thanks man, you think i would achieve maximum overclocks in normal bios on this card?

Associate

This is wrong! LN2 mode just opens up more scope for the card. The default LN2 bios does not increase voltages or default clocks by much.

LN2 mode is quite safe to use.

You need some other tools and a better third party bios if you want to overclock to the max. You should be able to reach 1200 on either the standard bios or the LN2 bios using afterburner and no additional tools.

Getting 1300-1400 requires more voltage and better throttle management and then you are into third party bioses and tools.

Allow me to present you with some bed time reading material...http://www.overclock.net/t/1422953/official-msi-gtx-780-lightning-owners-club

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is wrong! LN2 mode just opens up more scope for the card. The default LN2 bios does not increase voltages or default clocks by much.

LN2 mode is quite safe to use.

You need some other tools and a better third party bios if you want to overclock to the max. You should be able to reach 1200 on either the standard bios or the LN2 bios using afterburner and no additional tools.

Getting 1300-1400 requires more voltage and better throttle management and then you are into third party bioses and tools.

Allow me to present you with some bed time reading material...http://www.overclock.net/t/1422953/official-msi-gtx-780-lightning-owners-club

awesome bro i can assure you this will be bed time material, do you just reccomend a guy like myself to just overclock in the normal bios only.. i dont mind just pushing to 1200 on the normal bios and leaving it as that.. i was checking this link for safe readings, i know all pc's wont be the same for safe readings on overclocking on the normal bios for msi 780 but this link looks pretty safe to follow the guide lines for overcloking on the normal bios, have a look man when you have time and tell me what you think.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...80_lightning_video_card_review/3#.UnPRChCrncd

Associate
I would clock on the stock bios to start with. Take is slowly and enjoy it.
Once you reach the limits with the standard bios, give the LN2 bios a go and see if it helps.
Then if you are finding it ok, you can consider more extreme clocking.

As I say just take it slow and see how you get on.

Associate
OP
I would clock on the stock bios to start with. Take is slowly and enjoy it.
Once you reach the limits with the standard bios, give the LN2 bios a go and see if it helps.
Then if you are finding it ok, you can consider more extreme clocking.

As I say just take it slow and see how you get on.

but will it damage my card if i see artifacts on 3Dmark programmes and if i do see artifacts what happens, will my card just crash and would i need to restart my pc. also would the core clock reset to the default again and the card will be fine and not damaged? i need to know these things if you have patience to tell me

Associate
If you push the clocks too far the card will either lock up or the driver will reset. You don't have to restart the computer, but it is preferable. You are very unlikely to cause damage to the card even if you see artefacts, but it is better to stop the benchmark as soon as they are seen in my opinion. The only things that will cause damage are too much voltage or too much heat. You can't overdo the voltage without third party tools on the lightning and heat would only be an issue if you fixed the fan speed too low.

Back
Top Bottom