Sonos play:1

Don
Just set mine up, my first experience of Sonos.

Now I want the playbar and a 3/5 !

Quick question, is the config etc stored on the Bridge? or is it stored on the device (my phone) that I've set it up with?

If I add the wife's phone as a controller, will it give her the same library etc, or can she have her own?

Shame the Connect is so expensive, should be more like £100 max

Soldato
Its stored on the devices and not the controller. Any remote you setup will have the same functionality.

I have all of them. I have the Playbar in my bedroom its amazing. I love Sonos so much. Glad its popular now as when I got into it I worried about support and longevity but the Sonos support is phenomenal

Soldato
Its stored on the devices and not the controller. Any remote you setup will have the same functionality.

I have all of them. I have the Playbar in my bedroom its amazing. I love Sonos so much. Glad its popular now as when I got into it I worried about support and longevity but the Sonos support is phenomenal

Don
:)

Only gripe (a small one), is the album art isn't cached on my phone. So after a restart, it needs to quickly load each one again.

The wife is going to LOVE this! Been moaning at me for ages to buy a stereo.

Associate
Do each speaker output in stereo or do you need two of them for stereo playback? What's the sound quality like on the play one?

Associate
Correct, the play 1 only has a tweeter and mid/woofer speaker, it can't do stereo on its own, you have to add another and configure it as a stereo pair.

Don
With just one speaker it mixes the stereo into that one speaker. (ie, you're not left with only left or only right)

Wife is well impressed!

She always groans about cables and computer stuff etc. She went to watch a film at 6am this morning and didn't notice the Play 1 next to her.

When she woke me up I handed her my phone and said 'hit play' when you walk down stairs, KT Tunstall - Suddenly I See- echo'd around the house. = happy wife :D

Associate
Haha nice one! Forgot i've got a trip down London at the end of the month, so the play 1 might be on hold for either when im down there or when im back.

Soldato
Bought 2 Play 1's today, currently have a playbar, play sub, 2x Play 3's in the lounge, and Play 3 in the bedroom. Moved the bedroom play 3 to the study and put the 1's in the bedroom.

Full write up to follow tomorrow.

Associate
Very interested in your opinion on the play 1s in stereo.I've been trying to find a hifi shop near me with this so I can hear it before buying but have drawn a blank so far. From my limited test on individual 1s and 3s in currys the other day the 1 seems almost no different to the 3.

Associate
The Play 1 is an excellent little speaker. I picked one up for the bedroom and it is loud enough to fill the room and then some.

I have been a big fan of Sonos for over 5 years now having started with the old Sonos ZP100 amps connected to ceiling speakers and the CR100 controller. Since they released the iOS/Android apps it has got even better.

As regards Play 1 in stereo, I heard these demoed alongside a Play 5. The Play 1 stereo pair sounded fantastic with excellent sound quality and separation based on their positioning. The one area I would say they fell down on compared to a Play 5 was the base. Although acceptable, it was not as low as the Play 5.

Associate
Since I posted above I have bought 2x play 1's and have them in my living room in a stereo pair. I'm very pleased with them and the whole Sonos exeperience. I "auditioned" the speakers at Rayleigh Hifi, the guys in there were very good, walking me through stereo pairs of each play 1, 3 and 5's with and without sub. I agree with what is said above about the lack of bass in comparison to the 5 and to a lesser extent the 3's but the 1's with the sub was by far better than the 3's on their own, infact I would say they were better than the 5's on their own too (although the 1's and sub would cost the most).
Anyway, I would heartily reconmend the 1's in stereo, they are so discrete too.

IMG-20131227-WA0001 by the,bandit, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom