• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to over volt a Titan, a 780Ti or a 780 guide

Soldato
Sorry for being slightly OT but how much voltage is considered safe on a GTX780? PrecisionX will let me raise the volts by up to 65mv but I haven't touched, is there a safe point beyond which degradation will occur at a high rate (like the 1.4v wall for SB) or is it a case of any extra voltage will lower lifespan and the more the worse?

My card is under water and at stock I cannot get it over 40 degrees no matter what I do.

Caporegime
OP
I would say that the higher the voltage you put in, the more you will degrade the chip but I also feel it is temp related, so a trade off with temps and volts is fair.

85c and 1.162v = 50c and 1.3v

Of course it isn't anything like that but that would be something for the science people to work out over years and years of testing.

My advice is run what you are comfortable with and only give some volts if you are cooling the vrms (as these will go pop in no time if not cooled).

Soldato
Thanks for the guide greg! Successfully flashed my MSI Gaming 780 with the skynet rom. Removed vdroop and cranked the voltage to 1325. Heaven benched @1300Mhz no probs.

Like you I'm using a EK-FC block with Titan backplate. In heaven it doesn't get over 49C :cool:

Few notes about your guide:

1. I think the initial command is nvflash --protectoff
  2. I had to upgrade nvflash from the supplied version when I tried to flash

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the guide greg! Successfully flashed my MSI Gaming 780 with the skynet rom. Removed vdroop and cranked the voltage to 1325. Heaven benched @1300Mhz no probs.

Like you I'm using a EK-FC block with Titan backplate. In heaven it doesn't get over 49C :cool:

Few notes about your guide:

1. I think the initial command is nvflash --protectoff
  2. I had to upgrade nvflash from the supplied version when I tried to flash

Cheers for the feedback and Tonester had the same issue. I have never used that command but assumed from other forums it needed to be done but I have flashed 4 Nvidia cards and none of them have needed it, so I am going to remove that command.

I will leave that version in but will make a note to others who have problems to go for the latest NVFlash. I will add a link :)

Associate
Hey, I followed the guide but I'm getting invalid on both ri3 and ri4. Any advice?

Edit: I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times with restarts and got rid on any files left over. Always comes up invalid.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Sold!

I assume flashing bios will void warranty, how risky is it?

BIOS flashing is very easy and as long as you have a backup of your BIOS, it is safe. Even if you kill the card, as long as you have another GPU, you can still flash the Eeprom (or so I have been told) but never been fortunate enough to test this :D

Could you show me a Screen shot of the MSI AB Profiles folder please. You should be using the AB I provided or the earlier version and it should be a case of adding those 3 lines and saving and then AB asking for a restart of the computer after you open AB up again.

Associate
Untitled.png

Using the AB you provided. Done everything as instructed.

Edit: just realised that pic is crap, I'll try and get a better one

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
And with CMD prompt, if you type msiafterburner /ri4,20,99 it still returns invalid? If so, maybe this wont work for your GPU.

Better pic but would be better in a spoiler tag :)

Back
Top Bottom