• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

290x/290 voltage control with MSI AB (stock bios) guide.

Mobster
Soldato
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4697356&postcount=143

Unwinder says you can put this "/wi6,30,8d,10" into the target of an MSI AB shortcut and get 100mV added onto your core, so i tried it out and it turns out it works. Did some thinking and talking with tsm106 and we realized that you can use this to change voltage at will.

To set +100mV offset:
MSIAfterburner.exe /wi6,30,8d,10

To restore original voltage:
MSIAfterburner.exe /wi6,30,8d,0

10 = 100mV and 0 = 0mV (Back to stock). You can also add more voltage. Like i did, instead of 10 put 20 you'll get 200mV.

Be careful though, AFAIK there's no real limit.

1. Find your MSI AB directory.
2. Make a shortcut of the MSI AB.exe onto your desktop.
3. Right click, properties and paste this at the end of target "/wi6,30,8d,10" Behind MSI AB.exe. This will give you 100mV hence the number 10. (Change the last 2 digits)
4. Run the shortcut after running the shortcut with edited target and you should have an extra 100mV. (This will not launch MSI AB, you'll have to launch MSI AB from the original .exe or shortcut)

To go back to stock just put 00 there instead of 10-15-20-25 etc etc. And keep this in mind guys.
The two digits you add are in hexidecimal and each step adds 6.25mv. For 150mv you need 24 decimal which would be 18 in hex not 15. Putting 15 gives about +131mv

Do NOT come whining at me if you fry your shyt. I have done this personally and ive got no issues YET. And i dont think i will. And increase the last 2 numbers in small increments just to be safe.

/wi6,30,8d,10 = 100mV
/wi6,30,8d,20 = 200mV <--- Wouldnt go past this tbh.
/wi6,30,8d,30 = 300mV
/wi6,30,8d,40 = 400mV
/wi6,30,8d,50 = 500mV

BTW, no need to flash to an ASUS bios :D. Use your stock uber bios.

Last edited:

stn

stn

Associate
It might be usefull as well:
Offset is adjusted in 6.25mV steps and specified in hexadecimal format. So 10 hexadecimal = 16 decimal = 16 * 6.25 mV = 100 mV. 5 results in 5 * 6.25 = 31.25 mV. To set it to 50 mV you should use 8

Associate
Very good. An extra 100mV allowed me to push the core up to 1205 from 1130 for a run through Firestrike (12716 graphics score at 1205/1500). Any more voltage and the stock cooler really will need to be pushed into 'leaf blower' territory.

Last edited:
Associate
Do you have to keep running the shortcut with the mod every bootup out of curiosity?

EDIT: So I tried out the mod with a 15 setting (+150mV) and got a very strange result. My FPS in valley and heaven dropped drastically from 60-70+ FPS on the first few scenes to barely over 20FPS with the mod enabled. GPU-Z registered the change in voltage, showing VDDC going from 0.961 to 1.086 with the mod enabled (before running benchmarks). After disabling the mod (setting back to 0) and rebooting my machine, my FPS was back to normal. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
Mobster
Soldato
OP
Do you have to keep running the shortcut with the mod every bootup out of curiosity?

EDIT: So I tried out the mod with a 15 setting (+150mV) and got a very strange result. My FPS in valley and heaven dropped drastically from 60-70+ FPS on the first few scenes to barely over 20FPS with the mod enabled. GPU-Z registered the change in voltage, showing VDDC going from 0.961 to 1.086 with the mod enabled (before running benchmarks). After disabling the mod (setting back to 0) and rebooting my machine, my FPS was back to normal. Any thoughts?

Did you increase power limit?

Associate
Guys, when overvolting ill get a black screen at times. Any ideas?

yup when overclocking and increasing the voltage a lot of people get blackscreen after a few minutes of playing. happens to me when i use gputweak, havnt tried this new msi method. have you the asus bios? it might cause issues on other brands.

Mobster
Soldato
OP
yup when overclocking and increasing the voltage a lot of people get blackscreen after a few minutes of playing. happens to me when i use gputweak, havnt tried this new msi method. have you the asus bios? it might cause issues on other brands.

Nope, right now im running stock uber bios. MSI AB doesnt change anything, still black screening :(

Associate
Did you increase power limit?

Yup power limit in afterburner was +50

As for the blackscreen issue, have you still got the Asus GPU Tweak installed? If so uninstall it reboot, did the trick for me. Havent had any black screens. Also some people are reporting only getting black screen crash with the latest beta drivers, might want to try rolling back to the beta 8 drivers.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
OP
Yup power limit in afterburner was +50

As for the blackscreen issue, have you still got the Asus GPU Tweak installed? If so uninstall it reboot, did the trick for me. Havent had any black screens. Also some people are reporting only getting black screen crash with the latest beta drivers, might want to try rolling back to the beta 8 drivers.

Ill try Beta 6 drivers.

Back
Top Bottom