Toasted Sandwiches & Sandwich Toasters

Soldato
I just picked up a asda smart price sammich toaster for £4.50 ish. Does the job, requires smaller than the norm bread though. Stuff does hang out the edges.

still, for the price, it toasts alright.

Soldato
I used to do this...it kind of works but it's a bit of a pain.
Not really, if you're anything like me you keep your skillet on the stovetop almost indefinitely, just turn on the gas, put something heavy on top (I tend to use a kettle full of water) and hey presto, sammich.

Cleaning is as easy as wiping with a bit of kitchen towel.

Man of Honour
Not really, if you're anything like me you keep your skillet on the stovetop almost indefinitely, just turn on the gas, put something heavy on top (I tend to use a kettle full of water) and hey presto, sammich.

Cleaning is as easy as wiping with a bit of kitchen towel.

My cast iron skillet is nearly always there yeah - it's just often covered in bacon grease from breakfast ;)

It's more the pain of having to turn the thing over. It takes twice as long and is marginally more work (I'm lazy).

Soldato
My cast iron skillet is nearly always there yeah - it's just often covered in bacon grease from breakfast ;)

It's more the pain of having to turn the thing over. It takes twice as long and is marginally more work (I'm lazy).

Surely though it's more effort to get the sandwich toaster out, plug it in, then clean it after.

Associate
Waring WOSM2U - gone down from £50 to £40 since i bought, has removable plates for easy cleaning, should last years.

Old toastie maker was foul with fixed plates, took it apart for a look and ancient fat and cheese inside all over the elecs and heating elements

Caporegime
I second the panini grill, paninis a so much better there is just no comparison.
Even better is a Croque-monsieur

Last edited:
Associate
Problem I have with the toatabags is getting it so the toast isnt completely burned on the outside and cheese not-melted-at-all in the middle.*
And the problem with the normal toasty makers is preventing the cheese gushing out (usually from the back where its impossible to clean properly) of the thing instead of staying between those loverly bits of bread.

Perhaps I've just not got the slillz for such contraptions. :(

*edit - I'm thinking perhaps lower but for longer is needed?

Permabanned
Problem I have with the toatabags is getting it so the toast isnt completely burned on the outside and cheese not-melted-at-all in the middle.*
And the problem with the normal toasty makers is preventing the cheese gushing out (usually from the back where its impossible to clean properly) of the thing instead of staying between those loverly bits of bread.

Perhaps I've just not got the slillz for such contraptions. :(

*edit - I'm thinking perhaps lower but for longer is needed?

30 seconds in the ring a ding ding before you start.

Back
Top Bottom