Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Sounds like everyone's crashing at the moment, do it in style people and stay safe!! ;)

Healing up ok, my right leg and knees still very stiff and my thigh is still horrible with road rash, changing bandages twice a day... Needs to get some air really to scab up but it's difficult to do while wearing clothes..... I'd like to be able to ride again by the weekend if possible but see how I go.

Checked my bike today, seems just superficial damage to shifters, bar tape, bars and saddle which is good considering.

Got a nice Paul Smith suit yesterday from their shop in Leeds for my wedding next year so keeping busy with wedding related stuff while I'm off the bike.

Soldato
Now here is a Dura-Ace crank I can admit looks sweeeeet...

DSC_1152.jpg

Associate
anyone got any of these front lights? :
Lezyne Super Drive
Lezyne Mega Drive
Cateye Volt 1200

I have a Volt 1200, am pretty impressed with it. Upgraded from a Cateye Nanoshot Plus for this winter, it is a big improvement. Full beam is very bright indeed, only ever needed on until roads (where it is very welcome). I use the low + flashing high mode most of the time, which gives out enough light to see by whilst remaining very visible to motorists. The main reason I upgraded was the battery life in this mode is much better than for the Nanoshot - I can charge once every 3-4 days even when using a mix of modes. The Volt range can also charge from USB 3, which makes the times manageable (14 hours without!).

Underboss
I have a Volt 1200, am pretty impressed with it. Upgraded from a Cateye Nanoshot Plus for this winter, it is a big improvement. Full beam is very bright indeed, only ever needed on until roads (where it is very welcome). I use the low + flashing high mode most of the time, which gives out enough light to see by whilst remaining very visible to motorists. The main reason I upgraded was the battery life in this mode is much better than for the Nanoshot - I can charge once every 3-4 days even when using a mix of modes. The Volt range can also charge from USB 3, which makes the times manageable (14 hours without!).

thanks for that

I was actually just comparing this light to the Lezyne Mega drive

The downsides of the mega drive is the fact that its bigger and heavier, and has sharp edges because its a big heat sink and the run times aren't as good

so im swaying toward the cateye at the moment, looks impressive, good run time (18 hours on low / 2 hours on high)

Caporegime
24 miles this evening. Tried a nearby 10 mile TT route. Managed just shy of 18mph so lots of work to do there!

Tried my Planet X winter gear - gloves, neck gaiter, skullcap, overshoes, socks. Only thing I didn't pop on was the beanie hat! Seems like good kit. My hands weren't super warm in the gloves, but they weren't cold. I'll be interested to see how they are on a really cold day. The skullcap and socks are very good. The overshoes aren't as good as my BBB ones, but they're falling apart and will have to go soon. The zip on the BBB ones makes them much easier to fasten.

Soldato
After the last winter my Specialized Allez needs a new back brake calliper and new brake pads at the front taken it to my local bike shop a couple of times and they seem reluctant to do it for some reason.

Can you guys give me any advice what should I be looking are all the callipers the same fit ? And do all brake pads fit any calliper ? Seems a bit of a minefield ...

Soldato
Noticed that Wiggle had got stock of 4 Seasons 25mm today at work. I go to place my order just now and they're all gone! I could get them from CRC but I have a Wiggle voucher I can use. :(

Soldato
Can you guys give me any advice what should I be looking are all the callipers the same fit ? And do all brake pads fit any calliper ? Seems a bit of a minefield ...

Modern calipers are pretty much all the same. Front and rear are not interchangeable though.

Brake pads are usually cartridge type pads where the friction material slides into a holder which is bolted to the caliper. Makes it very easy to change cartridges without having to readjust brakes but not all cartridges fit all holders.
I think that there are only 2 types, shimano type and campag type but i'v only ever used shimano so dont know much about other types.

Caporegime
After the last winter my Specialized Allez needs a new back brake calliper and new brake pads at the front taken it to my local bike shop a couple of times and they seem reluctant to do it for some reason.

Modern calipers are pretty much all the same. Front and rear are not interchangeable though.

Brake pads are usually cartridge type pads where the friction material slides into a holder which is bolted to the caliper. Makes it very easy to change cartridges without having to readjust brakes but not all cartridges fit all holders.
I think that there are only 2 types, shimano type and campag type but i'v only ever used shimano so dont know much about other types.

Judging by the Specialized website, the Allez uses Tektro brakes, which would have been my guess. I'll bet they're R540s. They take Shimano cartridges. If you've already got cartridges, pick up some Kool Stop Dura II inserts. If you've not got cartridges, get some from your LBS and then buy some Kool Stop Dura II inserts.

For replacing the rear caliper, you can probably pick up a like for like Tektro replacement online somewhere for very little, or you could replace both front and rear with, I don't know, Tiagra calipers for £40 or thereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom