Motorola Moto G - new budget smartphone champion?

Soldato
How does this compare to the Nexus 4?

I dropped my 4 and smashed the screen and for a replacement it will be about £130-140 so I am wondering if I should just buy this and a have a new toy to play with!

Thoughts?

Caporegime
Ooo, this looks good...

*no SD slot, even though they use an SD card image next to the storage capacity in the advertising images*

Oh, forget it then.

Associate
How does this compare to the Nexus 4?
Not as good, but it's not too far off.

Screen is same res, but smaller so higher PPI

Half as much RAM and a slower CPU/GPU (Snapdragon S4 Pro vs Snapdragon 400)

Also no DC-HSPA, so if you're on Three it will be worse at interwebbing.

Associate
Theoretical max of 42mbps on the N4, theoretical max of 21mbps on the G.

What that's like in the real world will vary depending on location, and if you're not on Three isn't likely to make a blind bit of difference.

Soldato
DPD man gave me a pleasant surprise just now...

IMG_9708.JPG

IMG_9713.JPG

I didn't know about it. I wasn't expecting it, but Phones4u sent me a free white shell!

Soldato
I'm really tempted to get one of these actually. Got a SGS2 at the minute but thw internal memory is full so cant even update anything. Other than that I'm still pretty happy with it. Would this be a decent upgrade? Coming to the end of my 24 month contract on Three so might see what they can offer as well.

Soldato
If you're on a pay monthly contract, I would think you could get something better than the Moto G if I'm honest.

Alternatively, you go PAYG and buy something like this, which would probably end up a lot cheaper.

Soldato
Right, so it appears this is definitely locked to tescos, mine is due for delivery today and I am wondering if I should just return it or pay to unlock it? Being a bit uneducated when it comes to phones and the locking of them if I do unlock it either via paying tescos or a third party to do so am I left with exactly the same thing as if I had purchased a non network locked one in the first place or is there something left over that might cause issues in the future in regards to updates, factory resets, etc etc?

Soldato
Hey thanks for the reply. Well what I'm thinking is either just get a upgraded phone from Three with a new contract similar to what I'm on at the minute and sell the handset or go sim only. I know they'd probably offer something a better than the Moto but I dont really have any need for a super high end handset. Ideally I'm just after something which has a bigger screen and more internal memory. I'd actually happily hang onto the S2 if it had more internal storage. All these Google updates have basically left me with no space for any apps even after trying to uninstall aa much as I can and move apps that can be to the SD card!

Associate
I guess that depends on whether Tesco have dumped a load of bloat on there? If they haven't, yeah I think you're pretty much in the same position as having bought an unlocked phone.

It's not branded apparently, and it looks like it can be unlocked for $9.99 which isn't bad.

Associate
Noobie question coming up...

Would like to get my daughter one of these for xmas. She's on a Tesco sim only contract at the moment. If I bought her a Tesco PAYG phone I'm assuming her contract Tesco sim would work fine in it.

Soldato
Hey thanks for the reply. Well what I'm thinking is either just get a upgraded phone from Three with a new contract similar to what I'm on at the minute and sell the handset or go sim only. I know they'd probably offer something a better than the Moto but I dont really have any need for a super high end handset. Ideally I'm just after something which has a bigger screen and more internal memory. I'd actually happily hang onto the S2 if it had more internal storage. All these Google updates have basically left me with no space for any apps even after trying to uninstall aa much as I can and move apps that can be to the SD card!

You realise that the Moto G comes in 8GB and 16GB, and has no SD slot? So, this doesn't address your issue of storage space unfortunately

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom