• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon 290X Kuhler mod: Taming Hawaii 'Pic heavy'.

Soldato
^^ Lol.

The only game I've played so far is BF4, have to say it feels way more fluid and fps are a fair bit higher than GTX 780. I guess Mantle will be lost on this GPU, if already at 60fps?

It's not all good news however as about after 10mins of play I was treated to a nice black screen of death :p. Not uncommon on 290's from what I've read. Hopefully AMD fix that issue soon.

Gonna have to try a bit of 1440P Crysis, and Far Cry 3 when I get a chance..

Can't say I've had any issues with BF4 on my 290 - are you sure VRM temps etc are ok?

Permabanned
Like Donpaolo said, Not sure if my temps are good or bad. VRM temps that is

Did a log on mine to see what temps are reached on the card, this is with 2/3 hour run in bf4.

60 highest on VRM1
47 highest on VRM2
54 Highest GPU

Ambient was 20.

That's on the EK block

So he's getting slightly lower core temps then you on an all in one CPU cooler?

Soldato
Permabanned
Not sure about this, not everybody have the skills to do this :D

Can you post pictures and results?

I found on a auction website a guy selling 2 R9 290x with Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid (installed), Plus stock & Icy Vision Coolers that he probably killed.

Dude it uses the EXACT same pump and raditor as the Antec Kuhler 620

It just uses a much better mounting system and contains all the heat sinks needed to cool everything.

It's much more professional looking too!

Here my thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18554474

Soldato
So he's getting slightly lower core temps then you on an all in one CPU cooler?

Really need to know the ambient temps to see the deltas.
I would have thought different games/benchmarks will show differences in GPU/CPU heat produced as well.

It was the VRM's that I was mainly wondering about seen as VRM1 was hotter on mine than the actual GPU. Don't know how reliable the temps displayed are mind.

Soldato
OP
Just to update, AMD launched a fix for the black screen issue. Running perfect now, 28c idle / 55c full load.

Silent and deadly, I know what you're thinking, 'like a fart' but no more like snake :p

Soldato
I used a Dwood solution on my GTX 480 with a Kuhler 620. I saw max temps of 64c in Furmark...... Running 955mhz. Sick cooling solution and GPUs really take well to it.

But.

Then I touched the radiator and it nearly took my skin off. Whilst I know my GPU temps were safe what did concern me was the longevity of the Kuhler 620 being such a tiny radiator and having to endure the sort of heat I felt when attempting to touch the rad.

IMO a Kuhler 920 would be much better. Maybe not at max temps, but it has more rad to deal with the extreme heat the GPUs pump out. I think you can also use the older Corsair H70.

Soldato
OP
Mine is set up as the front intake case fan, with a fan at the rear for push/pull. The whole thing is nice and cool. Ideal budget cooling solution, no need for the those horrible stock air coolers. I'll be doing this mod to every GPU I own forever lol.

Man of Honour
Nice mod - Andy has a point though - those single 120s are usually rated for ~180 watt heat dissipation and those GPUs can kick out around 300 - you'd really want a 240 or 280 for best results (usually rated ~300).

Soldato
OP
Nice mod - Andy has a point though - those single 120s are usually rated for ~180 watt heat dissipation and those GPUs can kick out around 300 - you'd really want a 240 or 280 for best results (usually rated ~300).

That scale of 'power to heat' doesn't equate the same with CPU ~ GPU. I.e a 620 will give 50c totally safely on a GPU, a 920 may drop it under 50c. Typically GPU's although like you say are rated at 300W TDP, the coolers are inadequate. Once you go under water, the difference is vast, but the overall difference between a 620 / 920 may not be worth it. Also the rad on the 920's is much thicker, the fans have to work harder to push the air through, can result in more noise. My 4770K is cooled by a 920...

This mod has been going for a long time,

http://www.overclock.net/t/1203528/official-nvidia-gpu-mod-club-aka-the-mod
http://www.overclock.net/t/1203636/official-amd-ati-gpu-mod-club-aka-the-red-mod

I've cooled my past like 8 cards this way. It's very safe, cheap and easy to do.

Soldato
I've currently got my GTX480 sitting on a single 240 30fpi rad, left it looping Heaven whilst i tidied up and was getting temps of 61c lol....fans are on 5v mind, so totally inaudible. It's one of those Hardware Labs thingys, testing it to see what kind of temps my setup will get once finished.

Soldato
OP
Nice work, Boom. :)

Thanks bud :), the 290X is def a nice card to mess with until 20nm. These new cards 290X / 780ti are so powerful, I'm wandering how much more performance they can get on 20nm? I would probably be happy with just a die shrunk version of this chip tbh. Same performance, less power use..

Back
Top Bottom