Motorola Moto G - new budget smartphone champion?

Associate
The software is customized, but I'd be amazed if it wasn't possible to get the 'unbranded' stuff on there easily.

Now unlocking can be done for £2.04 off eBay, so it's quite a good saving over P4U

Soldato
Thanks. I just won a red case too :)

BZxPUpICQAA7VYC.png

Soldato
Can someone with a tesco version (16gb ideally) check something for me, I'm trying to decide if I should grab a p4u one or a tesco one and this could decide it for me (and others)

I've seen in a thread on xda that seems to suggest that when you factory reset the phone, after sim unlock, you have the option of 'retail' or 'tesco (sl)' on the reset list.

Is this true and, if you're willing, is the retail 'stock' like it suggests?

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
A friend has one of these phones and he needs a very robust case for it. Anyone got any recommendations for cases or where to look?

Also he had written an app that isn't yet on the play store and he found even with allow install of apps from untrusted sources would give a script error. In the end installing from Google drive worked fine on my n4 it installs from anything

Soldato
A friend has one of these phones and he needs a very robust case for it. Anyone got any recommendations for cases or where to look?

Also he had written an app that isn't yet on the play store and he found even with allow install of apps from untrusted sources would give a script error. In the end installing from Google drive worked fine on my n4 it installs from anything

Was it a 'parse error' he got?

Get him to sign the apk (export in Eclipse rather than copy the unsigned apk out of the project folder) and try again. I've seen this on a few recent devices and not just the Moto G.

Not sure why putting it on Google Drive would have fixed it though - I'll have to have a play around.

Last edited:
Associate
Motorola is owned by Google I imagine updates therefore should be regular and pain free. Unless you bought a custom firmware version which has been modified by the service provider therefore needing to rely on the service provider for updates

Still Motorola though and on recent history updates have never been regular. Far as I remember the recent Razr HD and Razr i only ever got as far as 4.1.2

Soldato
I personally think if you have an s3 you need to wait till the next iteration of phones ie skip a generation. I am on a N4 and the current phones just aren't enough ahead of the curve enough for the change

Soldato
Just got a free £10 blinkbox code and 500GB data on the supplied tesco sim via texts, worth throwing the tesco sim back in for the blinkbox code I'd say.

Back
Top Bottom