Microsoft Windows 8.2 Scheduled For January 2014

Soldato
I know.

has I said above "the old start menu lovers will never see past the old start menu, so windows UI must stay the same with the old start menu forever just for the old start menu lovers." that's how it's turning out to be.

Metro isn't the Windows UI though.
Metro isn't a start menu though.

Soldato
Metro isn't the Windows UI though.
Metro isn't a start menu though.

u made me laugh. thanks.. :D..

yxgz.png

i'm done.

Last edited:
Soldato
u made me laugh. thanks.. :D..
yxgz.png
i'm done.

But you just precisely proved my point. If you actually think that's funny it's probably a good and very healthy thing :)

It says the [Metro] "Start Screen" replaces the start menu.

Therefore:

Metro Start Screen ≠ Start Menu.

Metro ≠ Start Screen

Metro ≠ Start menu

Do you realise what the word Metro defines? Thinking that "Metro" is the start menu is like saying a Samsung Microwave is a TV.

Just because a Start Screen is merely present in the Metro system does NOT mean Metro is a Start Screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
But you just precisely proved my point. :confused:

It says the [Metro] "Start Screen" replaces the start menu.

Therefore:

Metro Start Screen ≠ Start Menu.

Metro ≠ Start Screen

Metro ≠ Start menu

Do you realise what the word Metro defines?

you said above metro isn't a start menu. then I posted showing metro is a start menu, it doesn't matter what part of metro is the start menu, the point is one part of metro is a start menu, well two parts of it really, (the start screen and the apps view which list all the programs you have installed, like the classic start menu does.)

metro is like 3+ in one. a start menu, a touch friendly interfere, app center. etc

I've never said the whole metro is a start menu. I just don't break in down in to parts everytime I post here because i'll be typing to long

Last edited:
Soldato
Not to mention you don't even need to install apps from the store.

I'm using windows 8 exactly like I was with all windows versions before it, Just my start menu is now full screen & much easier for me to use.

Associate
Having an index available as a compact, expanding submenu is helpful or preferable on more than just the odd occasion. Some do need to accept that fact. It also doesn't deny the new ui's it's attributes, it just is.

Soldato
I understand some people prefer the old start menu but no OS will stay the same forever, people need to understand this. also it's MS OS they can do whatever they want to it. and MS isn't forcing anyone to upgrade to win8/8.1. if your happy with the OS your using, stick with it.

it is simple has that really. I know some people will say no no it's not that simple, but it is.

I know it may feel unfair but lifes unfair. just think how it was for me, I had to mod win95, all the way up to win7 just so it's user friendly for me, do you see me crying about it, no

Last edited:
Associate
I am sorry you seem to find the Start menu so restrictive but the filesystem in general needs updating. It needs to be able to access larger drives than 3TB without resorting to GPT and have a routine that is able to formulate around previous MBR and the proposed FFS which was originally setout for Windows 7. Backwards compatibility has always been the founding premise for Windows. Why should someone dump their recently purchased hardware in favour of a new operating system. Also to dump all the offerings of the old OS's is stupidity in itself. When things don't work Microsoft often wonder what they have got to do to get people to like what they have done recently rather than figure out what to do to appease those whom want the old facets of the older OS back on their desktop.
Metro wasn't new by any means and has been virtually there with the XBOX360 and Media Centre since 1997, so for someone to say this is exciting and this is different just doesn't ring true. The App Store is so disjointed you wonder why its there sometimes. I find very little windows updates and very little in App updates. Having to move my mouse to a certain corner of the screen to get a menu on Metro, or to re educate myself in mouse instances for the benefit of MS and not myself is beyond it. I want to use my mouse the old fashioned way with the minimum of effort and not having to rethink everytime I want to close an App down. Because let's face it how many Apps get shut down in Windows 8 and get left on for the whole session. I am continually dropping to the desktop to check in task manager to see if I closed down an App correctly. In desktop you just exit the program and that is it. The libraries may still be available but the program is closed. How many of you used to complain about the startup programs that clutter your startup before you even get to your programs. Metro is just clutter the same as startup.

Caporegime
Just been playing around with a brand new laptop for a few hours. First thing I am doing when I get home is formatting and installing Windows 7, Metro is HORRID for what I want, Win 7 does everything I need perfectly, I don't want a cluttered tiled mess.

Associate
Just been playing around with a brand new laptop for a few hours. First thing I am doing when I get home is formatting and installing Windows 7, Metro is HORRID for what I want, Win 7 does everything I need perfectly, I don't want a cluttered tiled mess.

Then tidy it up, just like anyone has to with the start menu in Win 7, every time I set up a Win7 computer I got rid of all the crap in the start menu and made it look how I want. Why suffer an inferior out of date product for the sake of what is essentially a fully screen start menu?

Its just laughable :D

Soldato

just set it the app view so when you click start it'll show all your programs in a kind of list format

2lmw.jpg

Associate

Before you do that try this
http://www.startisback.com/

It's awesome. That way you get the start menu and all the benefits of Windows 8.

It's about $3, but the 30 day trial is full. Definitely worth a try

Caporegime
There will not be a Windows 8.2 but I hear that Microsoft is going to launch Windows 8.11 for Workgroups shortly.

I heard they're going back to MS-DOS command line with a touch screen keyboard at the bottom of the screen, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE CHANGE SUCK IT UP CHANGE HAS TO BE GOOD.

Soldato

Tell me about it. :p

The amount of times I've had to install Windows 7 since new computers started shipping with Windows 8, it's gone up tenfold... It's gotta be around a hundred.

About half of them don't even have a prior Windows 7 license, which makes you wonder why they're willing to pay £40 odd to get Windows 7 instead of £3 just to get the start menu back. People don't even want it in their memory let alone risking it popping up occasionally. I feel sorry for the people who are unaware they can still get Windows 7 on their new PCs. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom