What 3D glasses for LG 50PH660V?

Associate
Hi all, I hope you can help.

My brother went out and bought an LG 50PH660V Plasma TV early last week, however he has no idea what type of 3D glasses he needs. I've had a look around the 'net and it appears that almost all active 3D glasses will work - I've found that the Samsung SSG-51002 (2 pack) come highly recommended for the price, so I sent him out to get a pair at a high street shop. The sales assistant said they wont work and he needs to shell out £50 (each) for the LG 3D glasses.

Are they just trying to up-sell him, or will the Samsung SSG-51002 really not work? If they won't work, can you lot recommend a decent pair (preferably not £50 a pair!) of 3D glasses that will work with his TV please?

Cheers,

Kona*

Soldato
Im looking for 3d glasses for this set my self. The AG-S360 are the LG model compatible with this set, i have no idea about the sammy ones working or not though i would like to know. John lewis have the LG ones for £35 if that helps.

EDIT...

Not written in stone but here is an amazon user review of the sammy ones.

I bought these as spares for my LG 50PH660V 3D Plasma. Images are great, the only issue is sometimes they struggle to pair up with the set and can be frustrating. Weight is good and batteries are readily available.
Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to confirm these glasses do work, a little tip though, use Game mode, increases the 3D no end. It seems to produce more depth than cinema. A non issue for me as i have my tv set up in game, i get a better looking image and color in this mode any way.

Soldato
I have found that the glasses sync no problem if you stand next to the set, they can be iffy if you are sat more than five feet away, once synced they stay synced and work flawlessly from any distance.

Associate
OP
I have found that the glasses sync no problem if you stand next to the set, they can be iffy if you are sat more than five feet away, once synced they stay synced and work flawlessly from any distance.

I've just been over his house to set them up (pair them) for him, I was very surprised how good the 3D was. I don't know if this is down to it being active 3D vs passive 3D (not sure how much difference there is) but it was miles better than my friends Samsung LED TV.

Thanks for the help again Kanifee :)

Soldato
My friends 2011/10? LG LED was horrific, it is also active. i was pleasantly surprised by the vast improvement this set was. I love plasmas any way, i wouldn't own a LED.

One last tip, remember to turn them off, i left mine on for the last couple of hours, only when i remembered did i turn them off, don't think the battery will last long if they are left like that too many times :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My friends 2011/10? LG LED was horrific, it is also active. i was pleasantly surprised by the vast improvement this set was. I love plasmas any way, i wouldn't own a LED.

One last tip, remember to turn them off, i left mine on for the last couple of hours, only when i remembered did i turn them off, don't think the battery will last long if they are left like that too many times :D

I've got a 2009 42" LG LED (non-smart, non-3D) and seeing his TV really makes me want a new one... especially a Plasma - I'm not bothered about thin, light or energy efficient, just something with fantastic picture quality... £575 is a little bit much for me at the moment though!

Soldato
No mate haven't noticed any clicks when powering on, have you tried a different 3 pin lead?

can you tell if it is coming form the speakers or the back panel? might have something to do with your input causing a speaker pop maybe? Worth unhooking everything and trying like that.

Associate
OP
No mate haven't noticed any clicks when powering on, have you tried a different 3 pin lead?

can you tell if it is coming form the speakers or the back panel? might have something to do with your input causing a speaker pop maybe? Worth unhooking everything and trying like that.

Just tried a different lead, in a different socket, with everything unplugged and it still does it. It's not a speaker pop, it's like a relay click.

I spoke to my brother again last night and his old Panasonic plasma made a similar click, so it may be normal (if they used a different power board). His PH660V was manufactured in October, mine in August. I'll drop LG an email and ask them if it's anything to worry about - I'm only concerned about it due to the Samsung plasma's developing the "click of death"!

Thanks for the reply Kanifee, much appreciated! I hope you had a good Christmas :)

Soldato
I'm pretty sure my LG plasma clicks, definitely sounds like a relay, then I get another click when my amp comes on.

I want to get some 3D glasses for mine, I'll probably get the LG ones. More just to see how good the 3D is. I've only seen 3D on an older 32" Samsung LCD which was probably passive 3D. So active 3D on a 50" Plasma should be quite good :)

Soldato
Had a great christmas, too much food, too much fifa :D.
To be honest i have my tv in the same extensions as my amp, they all get powered on together and the amp makes a huge relay click when powered up. Ill unplug it all and check again for you mate just to be sure.

**Definitely no click, couldn't tell you when it was manufactured though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've got a pair of those coming on Saturday too - I found the Samsung classes to be uncomfortable whilst wearing them on top of my prescription glasses and I've heard the Shinntto ones are a bit better.

I've come across another problem with my TV... sometimes when I change sources I get a multi-coloured bar of varying lengths on the screen somewhere (usually at the top - see the picture below). This is only limited to my Satellite box mind you, and goes away once I reboot the box (not the TV) however I never got this on my old LG LCD... I don't know if it's to do with the aspect ratio (I've got it set to Original, setting it to the recommended "Just Scan" gives me multicoloured lines all over!) but I'm going to open another ticket with LG to check!

OB3mJr4.png

gP1K7Nd.png

By the way Kanifee, if you interested you can find the date your set was manufactured on the sticker that your serial number is on:

m98G1MC.png

:)

Edit: LG got back to me re: the "click" sound and it can happen depending on what revision of components were used to manufacture the set - nothing to worry about there!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom