** A RARITY: NEW ASUS 24.1" MONITOR WITH FULL 1920x1200 RESOLUTION!! **

Associate
Interested in buying one of these yet can't find a review anywhere.. Can an owner give me a reivew/opinions or someone link me 1...thanks :)

Soldato
Interested in buying one of these yet can't find a review anywhere.. Can an owner give me a review/opinions or someone link me 1...thanks :)

Hi Dazz0r, I've had mine less than 24hrs but I'm very impressed so far. I've played some CS:GO and it was very responsive with no ghosting at all to my eyes. I've also processed some RAW photos for the wife and it looked fantastic.

There is a bit of backlight bleed, but you only notice that when you have all the lights off and are on a solid black background. It might not even be bleed as it does go slightly when I change my viewing angles. The color uniformity is excellent too. This is coming from a 17" 5:3 LCD screen at home, and a 22" Dell 2208 at work - the quality of this screen is a lot better in comparison.

I'm trying to encourage my work to buy a screen calibrator, as it's a print/graphics company it's important - once we get one I'll borrow it and no doubt calibrate this, but I can't confirm how accurate the out of factory colours are.

If you look for reviews of the BenQ BL2411PT, it uses the same panel as this one - I used it to help me with the decision of going for this screen.

I'm very glad I got this screen. Any questions tho mate, fire away and I'll do my best to help.

Associate
Hmmm I thought I was all set to get a new Iiyama XB 27" but I'm liking the sound of this screen now too. More feedback please owners :D

Soldato
Hi Dazz0r, I've had mine less than 24hrs but I'm very impressed so far. I've played some CS:GO and it was very responsive with no ghosting at all to my eyes. I've also processed some RAW photos for the wife and it looked fantastic.

There is a bit of backlight bleed, but you only notice that when you have all the lights off and are on a solid black background. It might not even be bleed as it does go slightly when I change my viewing angles. The color uniformity is excellent too. This is coming from a 17" 5:3 LCD screen at home, and a 22" Dell 2208 at work - the quality of this screen is a lot better in comparison.

I'm trying to encourage my work to buy a screen calibrator, as it's a print/graphics company it's important - once we get one I'll borrow it and no doubt calibrate this, but I can't confirm how accurate the out of factory colours are.

If you look for reviews of the BenQ BL2411PT, it uses the same panel as this one - I used it to help me with the decision of going for this screen.

I'm very glad I got this screen. Any questions tho mate, fire away and I'll do my best to help.

I would like to echo the same response also.

Associate
Well gaming wise I mainly play BF4 & MMOs. I'm not a pro gamer wannabe so the 120hz I can live without despite having high enough fps to warrant it. For me the tradeoff with TN panel colour reproduction isn't worth it giving 60hz seems fine for every other type of game and application. But is there a possibility to overclock the monitor to say 75Hz?

Is there much calibrating needing to be done out of the box? Or can I use perfectly fine as is? Kinda worries me finding absolute zero reviews on this monitor though, is it that brand new?? I did check the Benq reviews however with the same panel and the reviews were generally positive. Seems like a good all rounder judging by what you guys are saying. Think I just want that reassuring nudge from you guys in the know to make me take the plunge :D

Thanks all again for the assistance :)

Last edited:
Associate
Just bought one of these from here, ordered Sunday evening and delivered Tuesday lunchtime. Only just set it up but initial impressions are very good. No dead pixels and very little back light bleed. Out of the box the brightness is extremely high and will require turning down. Must say I am very happy so far, will post again when I get time to give it a good try out. :D

Associate
As a vendor rep, please could you clarify the difference between the VS24AHL and the PA248Q with regards to the actual screen, all I can see is the VS24AHL has a slightly quicker response time. Also, do the screens use PWM?

I'm currently leaning towards the VS24AHL rather than the PA248Q, for two reasons, it's cheaper and the response time seems a little better.

Thanks Mr Orange.

Sorry for the belated reply.

From my inquiries with the Display team in HQ, these monitors do use PWM dimming at 13.98KHz.

The monitors you've listed are very similar, the PA248Q just has more inputs and connectivity from the spec sheets that I've been given. HTH

Last edited:
Soldato
Any more opinions guys? Especially on backlight bleeding, IPS glow and game performance? Does it have a 1:1 pixel map feature?

Looking at getting one of these or the 16:9 Dell P2414H for a few tens of pounds less and is suppose to have minimal IPS glow...

Last edited:
Soldato
Any more opinions guys? Especially on backlight bleeding, IPS glow and game performance? Does it have a 1:1 pixel map feature?

Looking at getting one of these or the 16:9 Dell P2414H for a few tens of pounds less and is suppose to have minimal IPS glow...

Been playing a few different games now, CS:GO mostly but also some Farcry: Blood Dragon and Starwars online. As a PC gamer of over 15 years and having played on various screens over this time I'd say this screen is perfectly good for gaming! I can't compare to one of those 120hz jobbies as I haven't used one of these.

My work is probably getting a Spyder4elite in the new year so I'll borrow this to calibrate the colours more accurately, not that I notice they're wrong - but I do photography and I do notice a bit of difference on other screens and when sending jobs to print.

Soldato
Does it have 1:1 pixel mapping as an option? Can't see anything in the manual suggesting it does? :(

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD Monitors/VS24AxL_English.pdf

I think it's got something called "aspect control", which I think is only available if you use HDMI input (its faded out atm in the menu as I'm using DVI). When I get chance over the next week or so I'll try hook it up with HDMI and see if it does the 1:1 pixel mapping.

Also this panel is very similar to the VS24AH-P screen and there are plenty of comments on this - I think it's the US version, so have a search for it.

Soldato
So if this using the same panel as the BenQ BL2411PT, does that mean it shares the exact same anti-glare coating, back light/bleeding (or lack of)?

It seems the choice is the BenQ BL2411PT or this Asus, but as there's no reviews of the Asus it's difficult to choice.

Soldato
So if this using the same panel as the BenQ BL2411PT, does that mean it shares the exact same anti-glare coating, back light/bleeding (or lack of)?

It seems the choice is the BenQ BL2411PT or this Asus, but as there's no reviews of the Asus it's difficult to choice.

Backlight bleed varies between individual units and is more to do with the overall monitor construction and pressures placed on the panel than the panel itself. The anti-glare surface is exactly the same, however. PRAD has a subscription-only review of the VS24AHL. One thing to note is that it is not flicker free (does use PWM) unlike the BenQ and AOC alternatives - but uses a 14kHz cycling frequency which is unlikely to be a problem at all. The uniformity of their review sample was quite poor and it seems weaker in that regard than the BL2411PT. I've also had a user report the same thing. The gamma tracking is also poor compared to the BenQ in terms of conformance to the often desirable '2.2' curve. Things are therefore not as accurately represented without calibration.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom