Keyless entry

mjt

mjt

Soldato
BMW Comfort Access is superb. Stick your hand in the door handle and it will unlock. Tap the ridges in the handle to lock.

Probably like most other systems but it is brilliant.

Don
Comedy thread.
I've had 3 vehicles with keyless entry; an Audi A8, a BMW 750i and a Lexus GS430. None of them would open the doors or allow you to drive them without the key being extremely close to the car. Like a few inches close.

Man of Honour
My clio's keyless system has a sensor behind the door handle, that'll detect my hand even before I pull the handle. Only if the key is in my pocket, and standing against the door, however ;)

I don't think what they did on Top Gear is actually possible unless it was a really poor system.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I remember top gear misrepresenting the W220 S-Class keyless system back in 2002. Clarkson commented that he cannot tell whether the car is locked or not, as if it locked and unlocked automatically with proximity.

Its just not how keyless systems work, you have to be incredibly close to the car, and some systems such as the one on my SL500 actually triangulate the key position so that the car may only be started with the key inside the cabin.

Permabanned
OP
That differs to dozens of reviews and owners experiences I have read? 370hp non turbo v6 is slow?

Soldato
the consensus there seems to be along these lines though:

and that the boot incident was most likely due to it not being closed properly

This is correct.

The only lights that come on are the mirror puddle lights and door handles which go out if the door handle is not touched.

No one is having their Lexus opened or pinched with keys in the house. Madness.

We have 2, with the keys less than 10 ft from them. They range of the fob may be 20 odd ft, but it only "wakes up" when the keys approach the car. Typically you need to be pretty close before the keyless entry system becomes live.

Last edited:
Soldato
That differs to dozens of reviews and owners experiences I have read? 370hp non turbo v6 is slow?

The 3.0 v6 isn't 370hp thou its 290 mated with the electrics, the CVT box is the most hateful thing, and it made the car noisier than my 3.0 Diesel XF. Its almost lugging round a boot full of batteries which unsurprising weigh a fair amount.

Associate
Its a noisy under powered v6 that is mated to a god awful CVT gear box, it makes it neither quick or refined.

What? Having owned a GS450h with a 0 to 60 of 5.9 secs top speed of 155 mph whist returning an average of 30mpg and never been able to tell if the engine was running or not around town. As well as having tons of torques from the word go it felt like it had more torque than my current ISF which has 370lb-ft. I fact the one thing I miss is the drive train I even enjoyed the seamless gearbox.

Associate
The 3.0 v6 isn't 370hp thou its 290 mated with the electrics, the CVT box is the most hateful thing, and it made the car noisier than my 3.0 Diesel XF. Its almost lugging round a boot full of batteries which unsurprising weigh a fair amount.

Noisier than the Jag what a load of carp you sir are deluded and yes i have driven both in anger.

Soldato
Noisier than the Jag what a load of carp you sir are deluded and yes i have driven both in anger.

Yes nosier than the Jag and was commented on by my Mrs at the time. Round town of course its not going to be noisier as its running on the electrics, but when ever you tried to accelerate hard you got this awful droning noise cause by the CVT box and even at motorway speeds the XF is quieter than the GS450h. Horrible drive train ruining a good car, with a strange infotainment control system.

DiG

DiG

Associate
Comfort access is simply BMW name for the feature. It's keyless as you don't need to interact with the key to enter the car...

Most are prompted by the pulling of the door handle and are quick enough to unlock the system before you have pulled the handle. A fulyl active system monitoring for the key would hurt battery life significantly! Dead battery after 3 days isn't really 'comfortable' there's no way the Lexus cars actually detect at that range.

If you don't unlock the car for a certain amount of time (around 2 weeks) it actually turns the keyless part off entirely and you have to use the fob, exactly so you don't come back to a flat battery in the airport carpark.

Back
Top Bottom