Project "Paint it Black"

Man of Honour

I have started this thread as my new 900D case has just arrived (about 5PM today) so tomorrow morning I will start my new build.

The aim of the build is to make a home for my 4 x R9 290Xs along with a RIVE BE, an i7 3970X or 4930k (see which runs best), 2 x 1200i Corsair PSUs, a set of C9 2400mhz Corsair Dominator Platinums and a whole pile of waterblocks.

Step 1, Get the cards running on air to make sure there is no problems.

Step 2, Get the cards on water.

Step 3, Tidy the build up.

I start tomorrow morning.:)

Thread Navigation Links.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Well here's the case, it's quite big but not as large as a LD V8. The case behind in the pic is a 800D with my GTX 690s in it.
jwYpCfv.jpg

Some screws etc.
A59bEJU.jpg

Some PSUs
Vsgidar.jpg

That's better
syvoJjz.jpg

Yet more fans
JdeJtg4.jpg

In with the mobo
xAg8iLJ.jpg

3970X fitted
Ir1bHiS.jpg

And on with the block
dW6Gwfb.jpg

Some tubing
dJib3MW.jpg

Some rads, not even a 900D will take these.
lnORVgA.jpg

Here is one of the rads with it's 9 x 140mm fans fitted.
xFh9siD.jpg

With the grill in place.
vyCnzlt.jpg

The rads filled and ready to go, just add PC.
ym1GA4K.jpg

Corsair Dominator Cas 9 2400mhz
sRi5tU3.jpg
bM1nlmb.jpg

Suddenly this case is not looking so roomy with four GPUs in it.:D
WZXx9yk.jpg

Some cabling
oHFsubP.jpg

Finally got some water onto the cards.
H0Bctmr.jpg
mspmwgD.jpg
q6flv8X.jpg
4XRMf4R.jpg

Some more pics with the mid plate in
IJgN2c5.jpg
1rEtdqI.jpg
24N86pr.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
When I start working on it I will give some feedback.

One thing I think Corsair should have included is exit points for the hoses when using external radiators.

Sounds more than reasonable, as there is some 1080 rads that could be used externally. Seems lazy to not put them in in truth but nothing a drill wouldn't sort.

Associate
This should be good, look forward to seeing the progress.

Looking forward to this. Also interested in your thoughts on the 900, as I have seen some mixed reactions.

I have a 900D and it is an amazing case in my opinion, very nice to work with (easy cable management, lots of room and so forth) and is excellent quality all around - looks great too, especially the brushed aluminium finish on the front faceplate.

Soldato
This should be good, look forward to seeing the progress.

I have a 900D and it is an amazing case in my opinion, very nice to work with (easy cable management, lots of room and so forth) and is excellent quality all around - looks great too, especially the brushed aluminium finish on the front faceplate.

+1 it's a really beautiful case to work with

Caporegime
Why not get a single 1350 - 1500W PSU? It would be tidier and perfectly adequate. A grand total of 2400W is absolutely ludicrous and nowhere near necessary for anything. :p

Associate
Why not get a single 1350 - 1500W PSU? It would be tidier and perfectly adequate. A grand total of 2400W is absolutely ludicrous and nowhere near necessary for anything. :p

I'd agree with this and it would give you the opportunity of sticking a large rad at the top of the 900D (as I assume you'll be putting 1 PSU top and 1 bottom, but I may be wrong?), however I'd imagine that the power draw of those 4 290X's will be pretty large at full load. And as loud as a jet engine too :p

Soldato
When I start working on it I will give some feedback.

One thing I think Corsair should have included is exit points for the hoses when using external radiators.

Perhaps they chose not to because it would fly against their selling line of it being the case you can get EVERYTHING inside :)

Man of Honour
OP

I'd agree with this and it would give you the opportunity of sticking a large rad at the top of the 900D (as I assume you'll be putting 1 PSU top and 1 bottom, but I may be wrong?), however I'd imagine that the power draw of those 4 290X's will be pretty large at full load. And as loud as a jet engine too :p

The power draw of 4 x R9 290Xs and an i7 3970X all overclocked is going to be around 1800 watts so unfortunately two PSUs are needed.:eek:

Soldato
looking forward to this Kaap, are you putting the BE under water once blocks are available???

d8d3ea90c58bac05ec5586ca0b97c417_zps3629dcd3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom